How Much?

Decorating By Ada119 Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 2:57am by Ada119

Ada119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ada119 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 13

Hi,

I just made a tinkerbell cake for my niece's first birthday, it turned out soooo cute!

Anyway, I've showed a picture to some co-workers and some of them asked me how much do I charge for a princess cake?....... I don't know! I've never charged!..... HELP! icon_confused.gif

12 replies
FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 13

The price is usually based on the number of servings it has. Many people use the Wilton servings chart to determine the number of serving per cake. You can charge more for fondant covered cakes and any extra details eg. gumpaste flowers, intricate piping, toppers, gourmet flavors, etc.

If you have a photo or more details about the size of the cake CC members will be able to tell you what they would charge for a similar cake in their area.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 13

(there is the whole legal business thing.... but anyway)
you need to think about ingrediants and the value of your time, and your location, that affects what people can actually afford to pay. you might be able to see what other local decorators charge on their websites.
xx

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with the other 2 posts. You have to factor in your ingredients and how much you want to make for your time(per hour). Also, I never thought about it, but my father in law said don't forget to factor in your electric bill going up. You can figure out how many kilowatts of power equal so many hours. Then add that in too, for the cost of your baking time.
*I didn't even think about that, and when I got my electric bill, I was like OMG, why is it so high! lol icon_redface.gif

Posting a picture will help get you more answersicon_smile.gif

Ada119 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. Bamcakes it's funny you mentioned the gas bill.. my boss said the same thing. Anyway, here is a picture of the cake.
LL

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 13

That is the cutest doll cake I've seen! I love it, and the wings add the perfect touch! I actually don't do these, so I don't know what to charge for it, but awesome job! icon_lol.gif

Ada119 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you! I really enjoy decorating cakes, it's a shame I don't do it often. I guess it's because I only have 1 cake recipe and I guess my family is sick of it already.....lol!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 13

Cute cake! I really like all the flowers around the bottom.

Ada119 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 13

thanks icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 13

You did a great job on thisicon_smile.gif Still not knowing the size(s) you used I suggest no less than $50 if you used the WonderMold.

Ada119 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #11 of 13

I used the large Pampered Chef batter bowl to bake the cake.

LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:08am
post #12 of 13

THat cake is sooo cute! I love the wings how did you make them? I'm doing a pillow cake and a doll cake for my daughter's birthday comming up. I'll post it too. I have to figure out what to charge as well.

Ada119 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:57am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBugMom

THat cake is sooo cute! I love the wings how did you make them? I'm doing a pillow cake and a doll cake for my daughter's birthday comming up. I'll post it too. I have to figure out what to charge as well.

It's a tinkerbell doll, she came with wings.....I got it at walmart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%