Using A Clay Gun

Decorating By cakechica27 Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 12:43pm by isabow2

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any tips for using a clay gun? I'm considering buying one, but have never used one. Is it the same gun that is used for actual clay, like ceramics? Or is there one specifically made for sugar clay?

8 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 9

There are sugar ones but I have the one from the craft store made from clay. There are several threads on here about the different types. General concensus seems to be that everyone prefers the one that you twist the top to extrude the fondant or gumpaste. The ones that have a plunger are supposedly hard to deal with .

I have the twist one and I got it at Hobby Lobby in teh clay department with a 40% off coupon. I love mine. It's green..forgot the brand.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:32am
post #3 of 9

Check in the forums, search under "extruder" or "Makins" and you will find lots of feedback about the preferred clay extruder around here, which is the Makins Ultimate Professional. It's metal and features a T-shaped twist to expel the clay--um--fondant. Don't get the $6 plastic plunger type, it will kill your hands. The Ultimate Professional retails for around $29 but you can get it for 40% off at Hobby Lobby. JoAnn and Michael's apparently do not carry it anymore. I got mine online at polyclayplay.com for around $23 including shipping.

There is definitely a gun manufactured specifically for fondant use, however I have only seen a handful of posts stating that they were satisfied with it. Most people find it too hard to pump the trigger to get the fondant out. If you are interested though, it runs around $40 and is called a "Sug*ar*craft Gun" (no asterisks...long story). G S A sells it, amongst other places, just don't buy it from the cake supply store that shares the same name LOL.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:49am
post #4 of 9

I have the sugar craft gun and love it. I purchased it from ebay. It came from United Kingdom and I only paid about $27 (US). A lot cheaper than buying one from the US. Shipping was only about $5. The trick that I learned with the trigger action is that you need to grease (crisco) the inside of the gun before use and the fondant needs enough Crisco to be like chewed bubble gum (yuck!).

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:48am
post #5 of 9

Hi, here is the one that I use,

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630263

Some decorators don't like it, but I love it!

When you are using gumpaste, you need to knead it well with shortening and then dip it in warm water and knead it again really well, until you get a consistancy of chewing gum. Then put it in the extruder and it works amazingly well.

If you are using juat fondant, you have to knead LOT of shortening really well.

HTH.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 9

I've got the green makin's clay gun too and it's my favourite tool, it's so easy to use and I never have to add shortening to the icing. I got mine on ebay and it worked out about £20 I think but worth every penny.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 9

I bought the clay plunger style one and I can't use it. It is pretty much impossible to extrude the fondant without brute force! LOL!! I wish I had known then about the twist one! I can't seem to ever get my fondant or gum paste soft enough either, I like the warm water idea, thank you! Will have to try that next time...

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 9

I have the same clay gun as bashini. I just take a little bit of shortening and smear all over the inside of the gun, knead my fondant some. I have no trouble getting the fondant out, when I do this. I do like my gun, but would also like to try the other one, the other posters have spoke of.

God Bless,
Sharon

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDarling

I've got the green makin's clay gun too and it's my favourite tool, it's so easy to use and I never have to add shortening to the icing. I got mine on ebay and it worked out about £20 I think but worth every penny.

I have this one too. I bought it at Hobby Lobby a week or so ago. Last night was my first time using it. I definitely need to get the fondant softer b/c it kind of looked cracked when it came out the end. It was fairly easy to use, the only thing I didn't care for w/this extruder is that it seemed to take forever to untwist it to put more fondant in & then twist it down again to get to the fondant to squish it out the end. But then again, I was in a hurry trying to finish a cake. Maybe if I hadn't been so rushed I would have liked it better. I paid $24 for it (I should have used a coupon, but I was so excited to find it that I just snatched it up---darn impulses!!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%