Why Is It....

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm by __Jamie__

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 5

Why is it that those who want to spend the LEAST amount of money on a cake are those who are the biggest DRAIN on my time??

Seriously, I have logged like 30 emails with some lady on one stinkin' little bridal shower cake that is insanely simple...2 tiers, scrolls, offset dots, bead borders, fondant bow, pearl dust. I was stupid enough to quote her a price of $2.25 per serving because it's a simple buttercream cake (I can do bow loops in my sleep, no real time-sucker there) and of course she ordered *just enough* servings to get it over the $100 minimum. Egads. (I know, I know...$2.25 was stupid...*smacks forehead*)

There seems to be an inverse relationship between the amount of money spent and the amount of time the orderer sucks from me.

I really prefer the brides who give me pics of cakes they like, we sketch out the cake with the different elements that appeal to her, work up the order, and then Daddy writes a big fat check and I don't hear from any of them again until I receive a thank you note after the wedding. icon_biggrin.gif

Where can I find more of those brides? LOL

4 replies
mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 5

LOL. I was one of those brides. Well, my husband and I wrote the check, but still! I can't imagine 30 emails. What the heck does she have to say or ask? Seriously, I sat down with our cake designer, picked what flavors I wanted (I actually already knew as I got cakes from that bakery a lot), what design I wanted and that was that. People seem to over think or over discuss everything these days.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 5

I tell my customers to let the do the worrying about the cake and to let it be the least stressful part of their celebration. It has really helped. Now I only have one crazy customer. icon_smile.gif (so far)

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 5

Oh Boy do I know what your talking about! I had this one bride last year that said her engagement was "unexpected" and had to get everything done within a three month period. First she is a no show on her first cake tasting and doesnt call me until after an hour after she was suppose to meet me. Then wanted to reschedule a week later. I told her no, that I cant save the cake for another week and that I bake fresh every tasting. So she decided to meet me half way the next day. She pulls out this scrapbook that was ten inches high that had all her wedding stuff in it. Im thinking "Damn! If this is a last minute thing then what the heck would of it been for a planned wedding!!" But she booked and about six hundred emails later (asking about adding things and what would such and such cost) I finally got everything down that she wanted. But I tell you, if I would of known what she was going to be like, I would of charged her a heck of a lot more than I did. Especially since the way she acted like she had no money but clearly had it when I saw her reception and her guests!
My mom always told me that the people WITH the money are the ones that tend to be more frugal with things. And boy, she wasnt kidding!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I really prefer the brides who give me pics of cakes they like, we sketch out the cake with the different elements that appeal to her, work up the order, and then Daddy writes a big fat check and I don't hear from any of them again until I receive a thank you note after the wedding. icon_biggrin.gif

Where can I find more of those brides? LOL

Lol! I thank Google for me being the top site when searching for cakes in my hometown. I get the brides coming in from out of town. They seem to know what they want, and don't haggle. Easiest stress free cakes ever! Check is in the mail with the deposit, see ya at your reception! I have one next weekend that happened this way. I love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%