Has Anyone Ever Made Their Icing This Way?

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 1:45am by brandywinecakes

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 16

http://www.sweetc.com/Recipes/frostings.htm#three

I have never seen a recipe like this before... does mixing the cooked sugar water with the meringue powder result in a lighter icing?

15 replies
moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 16

I've never seen this recipe before, but it appears to be one that mixes buttercream icing with meringue icing. Interesting concept. I imagine the icing is room temp stable like buttercream, but fluffy like meringue. I'm interested to hear from those who have tried it.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 16

Wow I have never seen that type either ,, I am sure someone will know he,he maybe i'll try it one day .

Looks like WILTONS SNOWWHITE buttercream , Except for that the crisco is sweetex plus it looks to me that they just add suger to the water and wiltons dose'nt ,,, I amde the SWB and it taste just fine and it crusts well .But it's not my go to recipe it's justs when I need a really bright white frosting but I heard { Indydebis crisco based buttercream was really good I am def trying this one next week for a wedding cake , Hope it's all they say it is [crossing my fingers } I'm sure it's better than Wiltons .

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

I've never seen this recipe before, but it appears to be one that mixes buttercream icing with meringue icing. Interesting concept. I imagine the icing is room temp stable like buttercream, but fluffy like meringue. I'm interested to hear from those who have tried it.

That's I was thinking... I hope someone has tried this method before and can tell us something icon_biggrin.gif

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 16

That icing seems to be too sweet... with granulated sugar being heated up with water and powdered eggwhites... then add the powdered sugar???!!!!
The process looks like to be like making Swiss meringue buttercream because you are substituting eggwhites to powdered one.

I'm not sure if this will make your icing whiter... maybe as there is no butter in it. If you're going to try it, let me know what the outcome is.

Thanks.

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 16

If I made it I'd use half butter anyway... I'm not sure it would be that much sweeter... My hope is that it has a fluffier texture.

CTamiLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTamiLynn Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 16

This is similar to a recipe on CC. I made this once back in 2006 and it was a pretty yummy icing. Definitely not as sweet as regular buttercream.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2037-Best-Butter-Cream-Ever.html

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 16

i have used a recipe very similar to this.. its also similar (not exactly) to the icing that leahs uses.. I didn't cook the water and sugar.. i used boiling water.. i would put the meringue powder, sugar, salt and water in the mixer, let her rip till fluffy, then add the powdered sugar. then the butter and shortening..

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you. I think I'll try it this week. I'll post my results icon_smile.gif

lilthorner Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 16

FYI its a non crusting icing..

foxymomma521 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #11 of 16

Yes, I figured that... thank you!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #12 of 16

How funny, it is also very similar to the "Whipped Cream Buttercream" here on CC http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-0-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html

Again, the difference is that is the above recipe, too, uses hot water directly to melt the sugar and dissolve the meringue powder, rather than boiling the sugar+water and letting it cool. Too many steps! LOL.

You will find if you look at the WCBC and the Best BC Ever that CTamiLynn just posted, they are verry similar...and also similar to what lilthorner just posted but lilthorner, I have read others who also do it all in one bowl. I may try that next time!

I definitely preferred this icing over any standard powdered sugar buttercreams, and for my last cake someone at the party even wanted the recipe, she loved it so much.

So to answer your original question! Yes, the icing is much lighter. I know you already know that by now but what the heck, another vote in favor of the icing can't hurt, right?!

lilthorner Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #13 of 16

yea, i didn't fool with no 2 bowl craziness LOL.. i don't have time for that.. I also used a brand other than wilton meringue powder.. a brand such as chefmaster or ateco.. wilton has citric acid and can cause a kinda metallic taste.. it may not be that noticeable, but when I made it with the other brands and then wilton, I did notice..

I used the icing for quite awhile until last summer when my weather (no ac) just got to be a beast.. i have started using wbh icing because it doesn't have the meringue powder, but I consider going back EVERYTIME i have to make icing

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

I also used a brand other than wilton meringue powder.. a brand such as chefmaster or ateco.. wilton has citric acid and can cause a kinda metallic taste.. it may not be that noticeable, but when I made it with the other brands and then wilton, I did notice..

Wait, a Wilton product doesn't taste good? Really??

Baahahahaa icon_wink.gif

You know what's funny, the first time I made it I didn't have meringue powder, so I used powdered egg whites plus cream of tartar and a pinch of corn starch I think. It actually turned out fine! I've since bought meringue powder (not Wilton, yay!) bought thought I'd mention that ew worked too, at least for a cake being eaten at home.

lilthorner Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #15 of 16

lol ceshell.. im jus sayin! when I got the recipe it was like meringue powder "NOT WILTON" i was like why??? and then I found out

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:45am
post #16 of 16

I use the WCBC recipe and LOVE it! It is very soft though...that's the downfall. You ladies are so right about it being too many steps, but I can't find anything else that I like as much. It doesn't have the powdered sugar feel like all the other buttercreams that I have tried.

BTW, like previously stated, it doesn't crust like your ordinary bc. However, if you ice the cake and put it in the fridge for an hour or so, you can use the Viva method on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%