A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 5:57pm
post #18271 of 25877

AAargh am on my phone and I can't see all the pictures properly. I could see suzanne's stunning cake tho and I just wanted to say how much I loved it. Welcome to the new posters and I will promise to catch up tomorrow. Off out for dinner tonight with friends - don't wait up! Kathy

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 5:58pm
post #18272 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siany01 

I may have commented too. Something about it being almost saintly (St Michaels)

This gives a whole new meaning to naked cakes

And she couldn't even use a dummy that wasn't bashed about with bits missing????

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:01pm
post #18273 of 25877

AGood lord, busy day today! :)

Firstly, Suzanne - that's beeeeeaaaautiful!! So so pretty, you should be very proud, I bet they loved it! I couldn't see any 'jump out' flaws and I'm sure they won't have noticed anything at all. Love the biscuits too - the writing is soo neat!!

Lizzy, glad you had great feedback on the surfing cake! Look forward to seeing the non-watermarked pics ;D

Nanny LOL re commenting on that page, you are brave! Will have to check out the persons page now, just out of curiosity.......

Welcome Loubee (in my head I'm adding an extra Lou to that LOL) well done for reading all the pages! With how we chat it must have seemed never ending! Loads of luck with your cake, look forward to seeing it! When my business first started it was a bit slow, but with a little advertising and networking you'll get there :)

Hi Kustard, you can ask questions in here, but if it's something specific one of the more topical forums might get you more answers/help, up to you really :)

Marvel hope you are feeling ok, and your cakes have started behaving!

Sugar, that board looks fab, really neat! And you CAN do a wedding cake! :)

Jean, love the cake and cuppies, great idea to use the Trex!

I had a fab day, ate far too much, bought a fair bit, and saw 2 Bake Off winners, hurrah! They were hilarious, Edd was really lovely and John is very cheeky LOL!

Sorry if I've missed anyone, if I scroll back I seem to loose my posts at the moment :/

Have a lovely evening all! X

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:04pm
post #18274 of 25877

A[quote name="Siany01" url="/t/thre56/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/18240#post_7551977"] I may have commented too. Something about it being almost saintly (St Michaels)

This gives a whole new meaning to naked cakes

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3289086/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]

I read this & thought, whwhat's naked about it? Then I clicked on the photo. Ooooohhhhh I seeeee.

Hello Kustard, welcome (back) to the thread!

kustard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kustard Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:14pm
post #18275 of 25877

Thanks guys,

I'd like to pick your brains regarding the dreaded settling lumps.

Yesterday I thought i'd cracked it. I placed a ganache dam before butter creaming and pressed down to ensure that there was an even spread in the layers.

Four hours later & the fully coated cakes looked great.

Fast forward to this morning and the bloody lumps have returned!

I can't get it right no matter what I do, and hoped that you would be willing to share helpful tips?

Thanks

K

:)

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:15pm
post #18276 of 25877

AKustard, is your SP too thin?

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:17pm
post #18277 of 25877

AKustard, is it a bulge all round the cake, or individual bubbles in different places?

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:45pm
post #18278 of 25877

AHey all, thanks for the happy thoughts. Feeling a bit better today, which was good as pretty much single-handedly had to decorate the venue for the first birthday party. Mum (BFF) was too busy freaking out about how little time we had. Lol... That degree in Event Management does come in useful sometimes. ;)

I'm very annoyed that I still can't seem to post photos. Others seem to be able to.

Hi to the noobs! *waves*

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:57pm
post #18279 of 25877

AHi all back from "up north" looking after mam with shingles on Tues then straight into work catch up. Still worried about her as the pain levels are awful but at least my sister is back from hols now. Hope you are all well. Too many pages to comment on but LOVED the DA rose Mel. I've been looking at them for a while, I have the PP book too. The "to try" list when I retire is 10 miles long- hope I don't pass on before I cross some of them off. Suzanne - gorgeous classy wedding cake. Stencilling on that evergrowing list too. Mel I went to the Thame Food Festival today too. Lovely wasn't it. Saw Tom Kerridge, Ed Kimber, John Thwaite ( have his bread book) and Raymond Blanc. A good selection - in fact I'm cooking with the lemon and chive pesto I bought right now. A bit of overkill on the chilli stalls I think and surprisingly I only saw one decorated cake stall - other homemade style cakes though.

Did you see the Lebanese stall? I heard the lady say she was from Princes Risborough and I asked her where she lived in PR. It turns out she was the same lady who taught a Mediterranean Cookery course at night school which I attended 30 YEARS ago. I had then asked her for a specific recipe and she took me to her house to write it down for me. She has just written a book on Lebanese home cooked food. Obviously bought the book! What a coincidence!!

Welcome Loubee and Kustard. Blimey Loubee - you have stamina, it's like reading encyclopaedia Brittanica on this thread as we all can talk. So much in fact - don't know how we decorate cakes, feed families, work, clean houses etc:grin:

Marvel - yes whisky and hot lemon and paracetamol! Helps you sleep too.

Lastly Maisie - Proper Baker! I nearly fell off my stool.! Need I say more to what everybody else has said.

Love to all. Sorry for missing anyone but the last week has been a bit stressful.

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:06pm
post #18280 of 25877

AAw sorry about your mam lynne, I know how awful it is, hopefully she will get better and stronger everyday.

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:07pm
post #18281 of 25877

ASorry marvel, good cake on instragram too.

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:18pm
post #18282 of 25877

Hi all :D

not even going to try catching up! I scooted through the last half dozen pages but already forgotten most of it! Just wanted to pop in and say hello. Ive been so busy and also still unwell but didnt want to just keep posting about the crappy day i was having so thought I would give you guys a break from my complaining :lol:

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:20pm
post #18283 of 25877

AHi tidds, nice your back, not well, but back. You take care of yourself ok?

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:34pm
post #18284 of 25877

AWell,well well All the cakes that are not hers have disappeared, how odd??

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:37pm
post #18285 of 25877

AI'm sorry to see your mum is still in pain lynne, have they given any indication of when she might have some relief?

I've been sat with my youngest watching you tube videos of some incredible parkour and the world slack line championships. Oh my. They are just awesome. It almost makes me want to put down my minstrels and get fit. Almost.

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:43pm
post #18286 of 25877

ANow thats abit drastic lizzy, minstrels are the buzz!

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:43pm
post #18287 of 25877

ABizz even.

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:52pm
post #18288 of 25877

ASorry to keep on about her, cats out of the bag now tho, check out the comment left on the spongebob cake, oops.

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:54pm
post #18289 of 25877

AKustard, I get this if I do too thick a crumb coat. If it's a center bulldge where the filling would be then I woild say your dam isnt thick enough, also give it a bit to settle after fill and crucial for it all to settle.

Lizzybug78 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:55pm
post #18290 of 25877

AHehe, it's alright nanny the minstrels are safe:-D

Hey tiddy, nice to see you :-)

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:58pm
post #18291 of 25877

AHaha nanny look what you've done now! Of all the cakes to comment on though that is definitely not the worst!

Lizzy don't dare put down that bag of minstrels... You'll make me feel guilty about my malteasers.

Siany01 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:01pm
post #18292 of 25877

A

Original message sent by m4rvelgeek

Hey all, thanks for the happy thoughts. Feeling a bit better today, which was good as pretty much single-handedly had to decorate the venue for the first birthday party. Mum (BFF) was too busy freaking out about how little time we had. Lol... That degree in Event Management does come in useful sometimes. ;)

I'm very annoyed that I still can't seem to post photos. Others seem to be able to.

Hi to the noobs! *waves*

Are you on an iPhone M4rvel? Since updating to ios8 I haven't been able to post pictures until I did the new update today and it seems to have fixed it. Hope you are better soon :)

Tiddylicious Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:06pm
post #18293 of 25877

Oh dear lordy...had to have a peep and now my eyes are bleeding :lol:

Here are a few of my recent ones for those not on fb :-D

Have quite a few coming up too! all big (ish) ones :cry:

Siany01 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:10pm
post #18294 of 25877

AHaha Barbara, we were more subtle, that women just let it all out in her comment hahaha

Tiddy, lovely to see you back, been watching your cakes come out on your page, awesome as always. Please don't stay away though lovely, I jnow I don't mind you talking about your clusters I'm sure non of the others do either.

I'm feeling an early night coming on, was at next at 7am at the sale haha spur of the moment decision when the smallest small woke me up T 06:30 but I'm feeling it now.

Tiddylicious Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:14pm
post #18295 of 25877

Thanks Siany x

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:15pm
post #18296 of 25877

AAren't we just?

Tidds, fab cakes as always.

Tiddylicious Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:21pm
post #18297 of 25877

grrr gotta love a haggler! Just had a lady ask about a spiderman cake, so i sent her a pic. She then asked for a 'big' cake and prices so isent 3 options. She then said she didnt get the message and then 10 mins later replied to it...then asked for a deal and a dairy free! omg! grrrr!

Hence my fb rant lol

nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:40pm
post #18298 of 25877

AAye get them all the time tidds.

Sock Monkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sock Monkey Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:40pm
post #18299 of 25877

The whole FB thing has tickled me this evening. Having said that, she did make some cupcakes with guns on top, so I'm a bit scared to comment on anything! That wedding cake though. I'd have seriously cried if that had turned up on my wedding day. It's sad to think there are people out there willing to spoil people's weddings and special occasions.

Glad I'm not the only one with the spirit level. It arrived this morning, so I just need to get some hazelnuts and cream, then I'm good to go. I can't seem to find blanched hazelnuts anywhere, though. I don't know if I'm going mad, but I'm pretty sure I bought some earlier this year.

Lizzybug78 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:52pm
post #18300 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Sock Monkey

The whole FB thing has tickled me this evening. Having said that, she did make some cupcakes with guns on top, so I'm a bit scared to comment on anything! That wedding cake though. I'd have seriously cried if that had turned up on my wedding day. It's sad to think there are people out there willing to spoil people's weddings and special occasions

Glad I'm not the only one with the spirit level. It arrived this morning, so I just need to get some hazelnuts and cream, then I'm good to go. I can't seem to find blanched hazelnuts anywhere, though. I don't know if I'm going mad, but I'm pretty sure I bought some earlier this year.

Another spirit level owner here :-D Not needed as much since getting my lovely Agbay though :-D

What you need to do to find your hazelnuts is buy some more. I find they always turn up when I give up and buy another pack :lol:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%