Creme Bouquet

Decorating By starcitycakes Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm by GayeG

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 44

What is Creme Bouquet and where do I get it. I'm thinking about baking a cake today for a testing for a girl that wants me to do her Wedding Cake. I'm gonna try the WASC with a Strawberry Filling and covered in one of the Buttercream recipes from here. But the Strawberry filling calls for creme bouquet and I don't know where to get it. Also what is the difference in powdered sugar and 10x powdered sugar? TIA!!

43 replies
cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 44

10X powdered sugar has been ground 10 times and is much finer than regular powdered sugar.

You can generally get Creme Boquet at any place that sells gourmet cooking oils or LorAnn oils, and any specialty cake shop should have it.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 44

Ok stupid question...
i've heard of creme boquet as well but what is the flavor like?

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 44

Creme Boquet can also be made, I am looking for the exact mesurements and can not find it myself.

It is a combination of Lemon Extract, Almond Extract, and Vanilla Extract.

I can't remember when/where I found it..... GRRRR ;'-(

I think this is what it was 1 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp almond extract

I used clear vanilla extract.

I'll keep looking for what I used before and how I found it.... I want to use this for a wedding cake I have coming up as well.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 44

Someone posted this recently (sorry I dont remember who to give credit) but here it is ... HTH

1T. Lemon Juice
1t. vanilla extract
1t. almond extract
1t. butter extract

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #6 of 44

Thats easy enough.
Thank You.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 44

I've tried that concoction posted above as a creme bouquet substitute and I don't think it taste like either ML's (more almond tasting) or CK's (more citrusy) creme bouquet.. you're better off ordering it. GSA sells it online and it's not very expensive at all. I recommend Magic Line.

Also.. for the strawberry filling.. it's not a huge deal if you don't have creme bouquet. Many people don't like it anyway.. (I personally love it but my family hates it).

10x powdered sugar is what you'll find in most grocery stores and most name-brand powdered sugars.

starcitycakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:47am
post #8 of 44

sorry I didn't respond earlier. But thank Ya'll so much. This helps me a bunch. About the powdered sugar. Would C&H (?) be 10x. My grandma told me that Dominos pow. sugar is but I couldn't find it a Wal-Mart the other day. But weird enough I think she was at our local Piggly Wiggly when she called me. I haven't looked there yet though.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:28am
post #9 of 44

GayeG, did I read that right? Lemon JUICE and not extract? Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:01am
post #10 of 44

I only use Domino sugar. It is a 10x and I buy mine at BJs wholesale in 4lb bags.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:31am
post #11 of 44

Someone posted a homemade version of creme bouquet on here that called for a T of lemon extract, and a tsp of vanilla, butter, and almond.
It was NASTY. I don't know if it was b/c of using the lemon extract rather than lemon juice, or what....but I threw the whole batch of icing out. I would highly recommend just buying the creme bouquet already mixed from one of the suppliers mentioned above. thumbs_up.gif

GayeG Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:36am
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

GayeG, did I read that right? Lemon JUICE and not extract? Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

Sorry it took so long to respond - for some reason I never got a thingy in my email icon_sad.gif

Yes! Lemon JUICE NOT lemon extract!! As stated - lemon extract = NASTY!!
and FYI - dont use ALL this makes, only a tsp or whatever your recipe calls for icon_smile.gif The remainder can be refrigerated for how long I dont know ... just give it the ole sniff test I suppose icon_wink.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:53pm
post #13 of 44

At my local cake supply I went in and found 4 different brands of Cream Bouque... I just used my sniffer to see which one appealed to me more. Some are more lemony and some more vanilla and some are very artificial smelling and some have something else in them like sweet bread or something.
These are emulsions and I do not think you are not going to get a true representation of these products by mixing extracts. GO smell them! They are that magic aromatic smell that you won't be able to help yourself from closing your eyes and feeling like you are floating on a cloud.

GayeG Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:58pm
post #14 of 44

I totaly agree! I love the REAL Creme Bouquet!! You wont get anything better than the ones allready made for you! But I guess when your in a pinch and need something like NOW ... a girlz gotta do what a girlz gotta do icon_wink.gif

sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:11pm
post #15 of 44

Yes you don't use very much of this either or it will be over powering. I usually add the regular amount of good quality vanilla as a base and add a a tsp of cream bouquet in. It is heavenly. There are some flavors that don't do well with this though. Personaly I don't like it with chocolate. But it is devine with fruit flavors no matter if it's in the cake or in the icing.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:12pm
post #16 of 44

I love cream bouquet. I only use it in my BC icing. I use 1 1/2 tsp. of cream bouquet and 1/2 tsp. valencia to my BC recipes. LOVE the combo. Both can be very overpowering...so be careful. I made the mistake and overpoured....left a yukky taste in my mouth. I get it at my local party supply store where I get all of my supplies. Its next to the vanilla & almond extract. Deb

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #17 of 44

sadsmile, which brand did you end up choosing?

gayeg, what brand do you use?

to the other people who also use this, what brand do you guys use?

sometimes the oils/extracts are sealed so doing the sniff test is not always an option icon_sad.gif

starcitycakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:17pm
post #18 of 44

Thank ya'll so much. This helps alot. however. i still can't find ready made Creme Bouquet so I guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy some offline. But this strawberry preserve filling recipe is the only thing I have found SO FAR that I will need it for. Is there anything else that ya'll recommend I can use it for. If I'm just gonna use it to make one recipe then there's no point in me buying it. I'll just pass on this recipe and find something else to try.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #19 of 44

ddaigle, what is Valencia? Where do you get it if you wouldn't mind sharing....

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #20 of 44

[quote="... just give it the ole sniff test I suppose icon_wink.gif[/quote]

Good nose ...sign of a good baker! I am going to make this concoction tonight. I wonder what would happen if you zested in fresh orange and lemon...ooopss there goes the mad scientist in me!

sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #21 of 44

Funny thing is just last night I did a sniff test with my kidoes on the Magic Line and the CK Cream Bouquets to see if I really needed to be buying both. We think they are very differnt and both are worth having in the pantry! The ck has a more high class citrus thing going on and the magic line has this dreamy creamy van/almond thing hapening. That is a tough choice that for now I will not make and keep both. It really is a matter of what you are going for with each recipie.

lv14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv14 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #22 of 44

A local cake supplier told me that the CK line is just a private label but its sourced from the Magic Line - so I would interpret that to be the same product... am I wrong?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:38pm
post #23 of 44

ladij...I think Valencia is a combo of almond, cherry & vanilla...I may be wrong on those ingredients. It is next to all the other extracts at my party supply store. All of their extracts are the same brand..but I'm not even sure what that is. They are all in a small clear bottle with a simple white label. Looks kinda generic in nature. I got this recipe combo (valencia & cream bouquet) from my very seasoned wilton instructor. Deb

sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #24 of 44

Those two products are VERY different in flavor and aroma distictly different if I may say. If I can no longer get the CK one I think I might just cry and hoard my bottle like a troll!

lv14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv14 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Those two products are VERY different in flavor and aroma distictly different if I may say. If I can no longer get the CK one I think I might just cry and hoard my bottle like a troll!

So you like the CK one better?

sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #26 of 44

OK now that you press me on it yes... But the application is more limted because of the stronger clear citrus notes in it. The magic line is more versital and could be added to more things. So I still am keeping both..LOL

GayeG Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:10pm
post #27 of 44

mandice - I love the Magic Line too! Its heavenly! I use it for so many things ... cookies - buttercream - cakes etc. This morning I made Cup Cakes and used it like sadsmile said .. Vanilla and CB .. I havent tasted one, but they smell like they'd make you slap your Mama!! *ummmy*

sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayeG

mandice - I love the Magic Line too! Its heavenly! I use it for so many things ... cookies - buttercream - cakes etc. This morning I made Cup Cakes and used it like sadsmile said .. Vanilla and CB .. I havent tasted one, but they smell like they'd make you slap your Mama!! *ummmy*

Slap your Mamma good! ROFLMBO! My son actually came and meant to pat me on the back but in his excitment still licking icing from his lips he pounded me a good one-OUCHIE!

GayeG Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm
post #29 of 44

YEP! Thats exactly what I mean!! icon_wink.gif Sorry you had to "see" for yourself! But your son is one smart fella!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #30 of 44

GayeG, thanks for clearing up the lemon juice/lemon extract thing for me! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%