Ok-I Thought About It And Now I'm Kinda Panicking!...

Decorating By swtness Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm by Melvira

swtness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtness Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 11

My friend asked me awhile ago to be her maid of honor, and if I would be willing to make her cake (as my gift). I decided to go for it, and I'm really excited about it icon_biggrin.gif .....and then I started to think about the wedding day. For those of you that stood up in the wedding and did the cake when did you do delivery and set up?

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 11

Being maid of honor, aka 'the bride's right hand man' and doing the cake are almost mutually exclusive. I mean if it's a wedding of any size you so have to have your stuff together to a 't' to pull it off.

If you are excused from maid of honor duties it would be a lot easier on you.

I mean you deliver and set up day off just like any other wedding--typically two hours before the festivities. Then I usually go out to eat somewhere, but your day would be just beginning. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 11

It depends on how organized you are and what size & design she picks really. It could be done.......

jess2523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2523 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 11

I made my best friend's wedding cake and was her maid of honor. It did take a lot of work to pull it all off, but I think it was worth it. I just delivered the cake a little earlier, before the ceremony, so that I could have everything ready to go.

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:26am
post #5 of 11

Don't stress yourself out too much! I am sure that all will go really well, and you will be glad that you did it, but just take it easy. Make sure to do as many things as possible ahead of time. That way the day of the wedding you only have minor details left.

MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 8:12am
post #6 of 11

I was the maid of honor in my brother's wedding and also made their cake. Yes, it can be done, but a few words of advice:
I would only recommend doing both if you think the bride has an understanding/appreciation of how much work a cake can be and knows that you could be a bit frazzled the morning of the wedding. Traditionally the maid of honor has a lot of responsibilities but that expectation, of course, varies from bride to bride. If, in your case, the bride seems more laid-back, then it may go just fine. I would also try to encourage the bride and groom to select a cake that is on the easier side of decorating and assembly.

In my case I helped with the planning and the errands, preparation and setup in the days before the wedding. But in the last 2 days before, I had to focus primarily on cake. Luckily, by then, the mother of the bride arrived and took over where I left off.

Still, I had a couple of small catastrophes with the cake the morning of the wedding (Murphy's Law?) and had to skip the trip to the beauty salon with the rest of the brides maids and ended up doing my hair in about 5 minutes just before the wedding. In the end it was worth it, though. They loved the cake and were very appreciative of my efforts.

swtness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtness Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone! She is having at MAX 150 guests b/c she and the groom are paying for it themselves, also the designs she has shown me so far are all plain white fondant with ribbon and a few flowers (which she is providing) My husband offered to do the set-up for me, so I guess I'll just have to see what her timeline is for the day. The wedding isn't until March of '10. Thanks again!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 11

I catered my own entire wedding. It's all about being organzied, having a plan, and STICKING to it while still being flexible. Little problems are going to pop up, just be ready to deal with anything. There is nothing saying you can't 'do it all' to an extent, unless you are the type that does NOT do well under pressure, or cannot multitask effectively.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 11

I am making my sister's wedding cake in June, am a bridesmaid, and my son is the ring bearer so I will be stressed also.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 11

Holy cow! I want to hear more about how Melvira catered her own wedding! That's two shades shy of insane! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 11

Hehehehe... here's the BEST part... on top of that, four days before the wedding, the twin towers were bombed. We lost our reception site (military building) our minister couldn't fly in (family member) so he had to drive 15 hours straight through to get there in time for everything. We lost a lot of attendees of course (lots of military in my family, and of course, all flights were down) and we almost couldn't go on our honeymoon! Whew! What a time! But you know, I won't forget a minute of it, and I had a GREAT time. And to this day, people always tell me that my wedding was special because it gave them hope in the middle of crisis. That meant a lot to me. icon_biggrin.gif Several people also said it was the first time they'd gone to a wedding where they could actually EAT the food!

ETA: BTW, anyone here will verify I AM one shade shy of insane. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%