Sugarshack's Dowel Gumpaste Bow Dryer

Decorating By Peridot Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm by bobwonderbuns

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 69

Does anyone have any idea about the measurements for the homemade gumpaste bow dryer that Sharon shows us in her Bows & Boxes DVD? I want to make one but I don't have any idea how high this thing is, what size dowels to use and how far apart to space them.

Has anyone made this? Or does anyone have an idea on measurements? Sharon states that a friend made it for her. Is is definitely a GREAT idea.

Thanks.

68 replies
wjmonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjmonte Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 69

My husband is actually the one who made it for me. Its incredibly simple. Go to home depot, lowes or hardware store. Buy a post for the stairs, thats the main center one. buy dowel rods of various sizes, they are long so you can cut them to be more like the video one. the ones I have on there are 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter and the smaller ones on top are regular cake dowel rods. I am going to get DH to revap it for me since I NEVER use the smaller ones.
Drill holes in center post, glue dowels into them, easy peasy.
Cant tell you what size dowels to use since we all make our bows differently. I guess just look at what you use now, paper towel rolls, cans, rollingpins etc and get dowels the same size.

HTHS!!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 69

Thank you so much!

What you told me is just what I thought - I wasn't sure if I missed something when staring a hole through my TV to get a good look at it. My DH went to Home Depot this evening to get the stuff to make it. I am so glad that you told me about the smaller dowels not being used.

It is just such a good idea!

Thanks again,
Barb

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 69

Is there a picture of this anywhere other than the video?
TIA!

wjmonte Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 69

i have a full day of errands but can try to post one later today.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 69

I also made one as soon as I saw the video ! Super simple and its great! If you PM your email I can send PIC I snapped with my cell phone .

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 69

Heres the one I made Sorry the pics not that great!
You could also make it out of P.V.C.
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 69

I went ahead and posted my loopy bow dryer stand.
I just wasent sure about the pic size because I snapped this with my cell phone camera! Hope this helps those that havent seen it. Its made after the one from Sharons/Sugarshacks dvd.

wjmonte Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 69

yep thats it. thanks for posting it.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 69

OK....I'll ask.......how do the bows hang on it to dry? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:47am
post #11 of 69

sweetjan.. Im not sure I understand the question ? You can put your loop over the rod then pinch the ends together and let hang to dry or you can pinch them together first then kind of slide them on.. The rods are also good for making the curly q,s on to ! Does thst answer you ?

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #12 of 69

Great picture ~ I'm a "visual" person. I can't wait to have my husband make one!

Thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:06am
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

hey fiddlesticks! I made one using dowels like yours, but mine is horizontal.. I like yours better icon_biggrin.gif Anyway, if you want larger loops, I used the plastic dowels (two different sizes are available) and you could use pvc. Just place the plastic dowel over the wooden one.. ta da... I have a set drying on mine stand now..

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #14 of 69

Hey Laura ! Ya great idea ! I did post somewhere about the P.V.C But had not thought about slipping the plastic dowel rod over the wood ! Awesome Idea!!!

kjt Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:21am
post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:

hey fiddlesticks! Anyway, if you want larger loops, I used the plastic dowels (two different sizes are available) and you could use pvc. Just place the plastic dowel over the wooden one

What a great idea...another thing to go on the "honey do" list icon_razz.gif !
I think the "legs" on the SPS stacking system will work out fine for one of my bow sizes.
Thanks to you all!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:35am
post #16 of 69

Thanks for the pic fiddlesticks!

These remind me of the "mug" tree I made for my mom during woodworking class in grade 7. I think she still actually has it somewhere .. icon_lol.gif

Thanks again!

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #17 of 69

Your Welcome and yes they do look like the old mug trees and those old cloths driers to LOL!!

kjt Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:15am
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Thanks for the pic fiddlesticks!

These remind me of the "mug" tree I made for my mom during woodworking class in grade 7. I think she still actually has it somewhere .. icon_lol.gif

Thanks again!

That's IT...that's what it reminds me of! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetjan Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:23am
post #19 of 69

Thank you, fiddlesticks. Yes, you answered the question. I guess in my mind I see them hanging there and sagging from the gravity and getting completely out of shape.
That's just to show that I don't know what I'm doing icon_redface.gif .....but I do love it!
And thanks again!!

ceolivari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceolivari Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:38am
post #20 of 69

Couldn't you just by a Pasta tree or mug tree? The mug tree might have too short arms, but I bought a plain wooden tree that's used to dry pasta and it was only like $5. No cutting, no measuring, no headaches.

sweetjan Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:54am
post #21 of 69

Mug tree....great idea! I knew that shape was familiar, but just couldn't put my finger on it!

kjt Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:55am
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolivari

Couldn't you just by a Pasta tree or mug tree? The mug tree might have too short arms, but I bought a plain wooden tree that's used to dry pasta and it was only like $5. No cutting, no measuring, no headaches.

Okay...where did you get your pasta drier? Another good idea from CC! icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:34pm
post #23 of 69

Oh Im sure there are several premade items you can use! I already had all but one item I needed to make this so It really was fast and easy! Just be sure that what ever you use has the arms/rods sticking out straight.
The old mugs trees we used to have they were kind of on a slant and that of course means the loops will slide in that direction.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm
post #24 of 69

I too worry that the loops will sag and droop over the arms....I haven't seen the video yet....do you let the loops dry for awhile on their sides before you put them over the arms of the "mug tree?"

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:00pm
post #25 of 69

This is a really good idea. I just use a section of PVC pipe suspended between two chairs or a tension rod in a door jam. I think I will have DH build one for me. Thanks for all the great information.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:02pm
post #26 of 69

I'm not sure why you would think the loops would sag... you are putting the loop on the dowel so that it hangs pointed side down and not on its side... the dowel supports the loop so it dries in a nice rounded shape.

here's a quick mock up of how it sits on the dowel.
LL

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #27 of 69

Oh Fiddlesticks- I am just cursing myself!!! Two years ago my MIL gave me a bunch of junk threw out and there was a hand made towel holder just like the bow loop holder you made! GRRRR Well I guess I can't be too terribly mad because that was before I really got in to caking. Now I will be on the look out for items that can be used as soemthing else..LOL Now the pvc slipped on to the wood dowels is smart! Thanks for the ideas! you CC'ers are the best!!!!

MUAH! You all Rock! (you've all been kissed by the pink pig!)
Thanks-Sarah thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #28 of 69

sadsmile.. Oh I love pigs LOL!!!
jkalman.. thanks for that pic!
Yes the loops do not sag it works great ! Im teling ya doing those curyly q,s on it works great to !
Just wrap them around and walk away !! Remember Guys this idea came from Sharons new Boxes and Bows dvd Which is soooo Awesome !

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:03pm
post #29 of 69
Quote:

sadsmile.. Oh I love pigs LOL!!!
jkalman.. thanks for that pic!
Yes the loops do not sag it works great ! Im teling ya doing those curyly q,s on it works great to !
Just wrap them around and walk away !! Remember Guys this idea came from Sharons new Boxes and Bows dvd Which is soooo Awesome !

Funny you should mention the curli ques cuz i show how to make them on that same tree in the next dvd being released n the summer!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #30 of 69

I tried to make some eny-tiny curli ques on bamboo skewers and they would not release to save my life and I couldn't use them...WHaaaaa! Have you ever seen a pig cry?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%