Lounge By summernoelle Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm by indydebi

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:15pm
post #151 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra383

Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

About public schools...my DH and I were very seriously considering private schools for our son next year. But they are very expensive, and with the economy I'm not sure it is a good idea. So what we decided to do (for now) is to buy the same materials the school uses (phonics books, flash cards, etc) and supplement our kids' educations with that. SO much of what they learn is based on their home lives, and what their parents help them do.
He is starting Kindergarten in the fall, so I am hoping to put cakes on hold to teach him as much as I can before he starts. That way he will have a head start, and a better foundation.

It is called home-schooling... And trust me you can get much better curriculum than the ps uses. You will spend the same amount of time teaching them as you would doing homework, and you will actually have intelligent kids.
My homeschooled smarties (in more ways than one icon_biggrin.gif ), feel sorry for the ps kids siting in a "dummy school" while they are having a life.

I greatly respect those of you with the talent AND discipline to educate your children. With me, I know that I do not have the patience. I am teaching my oldest to read right now, and sadly, I often get frustrated and am taking slow breaths to get through the whole ordeal. (Mostly due to fidgeting or refusing to look at the book.) I know that this would be day in, day out with them, and I wouldn't do a good job. icon_sad.gif

Do you guys have home schooling coops so your kids can interact with others? Just curious. icon_smile.gif

I've looked into the Abeka program and the Saxon program, and they both seem wonderful!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #152 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I greatly respect those of you with the talent AND discipline to educate your children.

I agree. Not everyone can teach. It takes a talent to be able to convey the concept and the how-to involved in teaching any subject.

(Anyone have 16 year old drivers in the house where dad tried to teach them to drive and it just turned into a big fight? Hubby tried to teach our oldest daughter 3 times. All three times they both came back to the house screaming at each other about how Stupid the other was. I took her out and taught her to drive a clutch inside of 2 hours. Just because he can drive DOESN"T mean he can teach it.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%