Teenagers Who Apply For Jobs (Rant)

Lounge By summernoelle Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm by indydebi

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #31 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

So, would this be too harsh? If so, I think I will just ignore it and not respond. There really is no gentle way to tell someone they acted poorly, and perhaps it isn't even my place.

Amber, I want to offer you some advice. In the future, it would be a good idea for you to spell check your emails about job inquiries, as well as make sure you use proper grammar. Your email was written where one of the sentences did not make sense, and you misspelled several words. You did not even capitalize your own name.
I only take the time to tell you this because you may not know better or be aware of the proper way to interview for a job position. If you are interested in applying for a position somewhere, you need to have a cover letter with a resume. You also need to approach a business with respect, instead of with a hurried text message. I do not mean to offend you, but instead to help you so that in the future you can obtain employment. Most employers would never give you a second thought if you sent them an email like the one you sent to me. Here is a good book on amazon.com about writing cover letters. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1593573642/?tag=cakecentral-20

This is really thoughtful! thumbs_up.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #32 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Has it occurred to anyone that this person may be using English as a second language?

English is DH's second language so he's made spellcheck and grammar checks his best friends, he never wants anyone to assume that because English isn't his mother tongue, that he's a moron...kind of like this lovely young lady (who's IQ has to be up there with Chris Langan) who said to herself,

"Like, self...um, yeah self? Well, lookit, um like I was, like, thinking that we shud , like, text this cake decerater lady and, like, see if she'll give us, like, sum emploment so we culd, like, you know, get some cash so we culd bye sum clothes or sumthin. Do you think we shud, like, go in and fill out one of those applicator-thingies? No, I wanna go chill at the mall, that sounds, like waaaay to involved. Let's just, like, send her a text, thas, like waay machur...riiiight?"

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #33 of 152

I don't think it's too harsh. Chances are good that she has no one in her life who will help her (because if she does, where the heck are they?). Even if she is offended by your comments, at the very least she will probably remember them somewhere down the line after many doors have slammed in her face and think, "Gosh! Maybe that mean cake lady was right."

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:08pm
post #34 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by allie73

Quote:

BWAHAHAHAHA! Yes, an iphone! How many disadvantaged people out there can afford a $300 phone, and the service for it?

You would be utterly amazed. I can't tell you how many of my students arrive to school with iPods and cell phones, and have Wii and X-box systems at home, but don't have any money for school supplies, breakfast, or lunch. But then again, it's these priorities that have helped land the American economy in the mess it's in.

You just summed up my BIL & SIL in a nut shell right there. They are $xx,xxx.00 in credit card debt, I won't tell you how far behind they are on their house payment, & they depend on my MIL to supply their groceries for them & their 3 kids.

That being said, SIL just informed me of the video games she intends to buy for my nephew for his b-day next month. $25.00 a piece! They are willing to spend money they don't have on non-necessities & completely disregard bills, utilities, food, you know, the essentials! thumbsdown.gif

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:13pm
post #35 of 152

We live in a very small "tourist" town that relies heavily on teen workers during the summer. I've seen the best and the worst and every where in between.

Our high school has a leadership type class and the kids that go through it actually prepare resumes and have mock interviews with local business owners that volunteer their time to help educate the teens on how to approach a potential employer. I wish it was manditory for all the kids to take the class!

Some resumes and job applications are so bad I can barely even read them, and the kids wonder why they can't get hired.

I really wish schools would/could go back to teaching important "life" type classes instead of TEST TAKING 101.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #36 of 152
Quote:
Quote:

In my son's first year at Drexel University he had his first 'professional' job interview for an internship position. He got the job, but the interviewer let him know that he had misspelled something on his resume, and gave him some tips on how to better conduct yourself during an interview (he had several more interviews at various companies after this one...and all of them offered him a position!)

He totally appreciated those tips and I know he will use them throughout his life. So I think it would be fine for you to make some gentle suggestions to this young gal as she continues her search for a job.

Cakedout, this says a lot about the character of your son. Somewhere along the way he learned to listen to and act upon constructive criticism. My guess is that he learned it at home. Well done!

Quote:
Quote:

In TX, they have the TAKS test, which is pretty much all the kids will study the entire year. Everything revolves around it, to the point they are not taught actual substance, just strategies on how to pass one exam so that the school will get appropriate funding. Scares me to death.

Here in the UK is seems like everything to taught to the standardized tests. The only thing the schools want to worry about is where they fall on the "league tables." We recently received information from my son's school that they were no longer going to quiz spelling, as it "puts too much pressure on the children." I believe that it was dropped because the standardized tests don't penalize for spelling errors.

Regarding the OP: During the last few weeks before my move to the UK, I conducted interviews for a variety of positions at the retail company where I worked. I still can't get over my surprise at the number of applicants that arrived dressed totally inappropriately (my favorite was the ripped fish-nets and spiked heels on the cosmetic counter clerk candidate), or who failed in the personal grooming arena. (I could NOT hire the food court applicant with the dirty fingernails, even though he was quite personable. Just couldn't do it!!!) We seem to be failing at teaching even the basic presentation skills.

*Edited to fix misplaced 'quote' indicators.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #37 of 152
Quote:
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, would this be too harsh? If so, I think I will just ignore it and not respond. There really is no gentle way to tell someone they acted poorly, and perhaps it isn't even my place.

Amber, I want to offer you some advice. In the future, it would be a good idea for you to spell check your emails about job inquiries, as well as make sure you use proper grammar. Your email was written where one of the sentences did not make sense, and you misspelled several words. You did not even capitalize your own name.
I only take the time to tell you this because you may not know better or be aware of the proper way to interview for a job position. If you are interested in applying for a position somewhere, you need to have a cover letter with a resume. You also need to approach a business with respect, instead of with a hurried text message. I do not mean to offend you, but instead to help you so that in the future you can obtain employment. Most employers would never give you a second thought if you sent them an email like the one you sent to me. Here is a good book on amazon.com about writing cover letters. http://www.amazon.com/Cover-Le.....385&sr=8-7

That is very appropriate actually MORE than appropriate. You have clearly taken the pains to help someone out-very caring. If she has manners, she will email or call you to say thank you for sure.

tx_cupcake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #38 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyTW

I really wish schools would/could go back to teaching important "life" type classes instead of TEST TAKING 101.

Including a class on basic personal finance!

Ayanami Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #39 of 152

Just a quick note, I can't stand people who intentionally (read "too damn lazy") spell incorrectly. I'm not talking about the big, complicated words either. I'm talking about basic remedial spelling like they teach (or taught? I guess) in elementary schools.

And don't even get me started on mispronouncing! My DH family says "wraseling" instead of "wrestling" or "motorsickle" instead of "motorcycle". I know that has some to do with where you were raised, but it just drives me plum nuts.

I got one of those emails that quizzes you on how you pronounce things & I came up 65% dixie, but I don't pronounce letters that don't exsist in a word. "DH my love, there is no 'r' in wash." ("warsh", argh!)

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:24pm
post #40 of 152
Quote:
Quote:

She may not say "Thank You", but your "Mr. Miyagi" lesson will be appreciated by her one day.

I have a highly intelligent (almost) 14 year old who can't spell to save her life. Our local public schools have been teaching children to spell phonetically for so long, they no longer take away grade points for improper spelling. And I'd be ashamed to tell you some of the words she doesn't know the definitions of. I hate that she may someday be viewed by prospective employers/men she dates as being a "ditz" because of this.
So, I employ the "Mr. Miyagi" method of learning. When she says "How do you spell ....?" or "What does _____ mean?" She knows the answer will be "You see that BIG RED BOOK over there? It's called a dictionary. Look it up." (And then go wax my car.) icon_twisted.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:26pm
post #41 of 152

LOL!

I used to live in Maryland and one their words was "warsh". You could barely figure out that they were from Maryland seeing as they used to say, "Muralend"

Ayanami Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #42 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Quote:
Quote:

She may not say "Thank You", but your "Mr. Miyagi" lesson will be appreciated by her one day.

I have a highly intelligent (almost) 14 year old who can't spell to save her life. Our local public schools have been teaching children to spell phonetically for so long, they no longer take away grade points for improper spelling. And I'd be ashamed to tell you some of the words she doesn't know the definitions of. I hate that she may someday be viewed by prospective employers/men she dates as being a "ditz" because of this.
So, I employ the "Mr. Miyagi" method of learning. When she says "How do you spell ....?" or "What does _____ mean?" She knows the answer will be "You see that BIG RED BOOK over there? It's called a dictionary. Look it up." (And then go wax my car.) icon_twisted.gif

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!! LMAO! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Go wax my car. icon_lol.gif Love It! thumbs_up.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #43 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Quote:
Quote:

I think I can top this: I am a secretary at a community college, and mind you, I have people employed here (AT THE COLLEGE) who call ME and say "How do you spell ........................"
Good grief, Charlie Brown!!!!!!!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #44 of 152
Quote:

Has it occurred to anyone that this person may be using English as a second language? That's what I thought reading it.
I do agree if you would take the time to gently inform her how to go about applying for a job it would help her out in the long run.

I travel quite a bit and when I read her email I knew English was not her first language. She would have been better off visiting in person and making an appointment to show off her skills. That might be a nice way to break the ice about job etiquette.

I find that it is easier to judge someone from a distance than close up.

Ayanami Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #45 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

LOL!

I used to live in Maryland and one their words was "warsh". You could barely figure out that they were from Maryland seeing as they used to say, "Muralend"

icon_lol.gif Oh yeah. icon_lol.gif

I remember the first time I went down to Tennesse (I was about 13yo?) for a family reunion with my maternal Grama's family. It took me a good week to understand those people. icon_rolleyes.gif Then, just when you get in the groove, it's time to come home! icon_lol.gif

We had another reunion last year, but everyone met 1/2 way in Branson MO. Still can't understand them! icon_lol.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:34pm
post #46 of 152

Dizzy-when someone is applying for a job, isn't it an employers duty to judge whether or not they are up to par? Sorry, but I wouldn't trust her with writing It's a Grill or Hapity Bihtdya on my decerated (decimated?!?) cakes.

summernoelle Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #47 of 152

Oh, also, my mom says warsh. And won't instead of want. icon_lol.gif ole instead of oil. tuesdi, not Tuesday.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:38pm
post #48 of 152

on the subject of buying things you can't afford, my husbands cousin (who makes less than him) Spent over $3000 on his two girls this Chrsitmas! We couldn't even afford to get each other a gift this year let alone spend $3000 on our kid! (we wouldn't spend that much even if we could afford it) Did I mention we make more than him? His cousin is worried that he will lose his job yet they have $3000 to put on there cards icon_confused.gif
We don't get it.
In regards to the post, I think it would be nice of you to help her but she is probably a rich snob who doesn't care and it would be pointless. Most (not all) teenagers today are clueless and would never appreciate help if you gave it to them. Teenagers have the invincible syndrome. Nothing bad can happen to them and everything will be handed to them on a silver platter. (so they think) Fortunately a lot of us grow up! icon_smile.gif
Jen...

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #49 of 152
Quote:
Quote:

I remember the first time I went down to Tennesse (I was about 13yo?) for a family reunion with my maternal Grama's family. It took me a good week to understand those people.

Been there! I moved to the Appalachian region of Virginia at age 9. I remember my first day of school on the bus when a little boy drawled at me, "Were yew frum? Yew tolk lick yer frum New Yerk er sumtin."

I felt like Marlin in Finding Nemo, "It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it. Look, you're really cute, but I can't understand what you're saying. Say the first thing again."

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:50pm
post #50 of 152
Quote:

allie-that is the exact reason why my husband and I are very nervous about sending our kids to public schools. In TX, they have the TAKS test, which is pretty much all the kids will study the entire year. Everything revolves around it, to the point they are not taught actual substance, just strategies on how to pass one exam so that the school will get appropriate funding. Scares me to death.

Yikes! icon_surprised.gif Thanks for the heads up!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:50pm
post #51 of 152

I like your letter as you are taking the time to help this young lady, but honestly, asking her to send you a resume seems kind of pointless. You are a bakery, which usually these type of establishments have applications to fill out and don't generally require a person to submit a cover letter or resume. Not to mention, she is only 17 and probably doesn't have any work experience to add to it. I might also add that it appears English might not be her 1st language. If you need the help, ask her to come down and fill out an application so you can meet her and then form an opinion --- doesn't mean you have to hire her, but maybe she might be that diamond in the ruff that you have been looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

tx_cupcake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #52 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

Quote:

Has it occurred to anyone that this person may be using English as a second language? That's what I thought reading it.
I do agree if you would take the time to gently inform her how to go about applying for a job it would help her out in the long run.

I travel quite a bit and when I read her email I knew English was not her first language. She would have been better off visiting in person and making an appointment to show off her skills. That might be a nice way to break the ice about job etiquette.

I find that it is easier to judge someone from a distance than close up.

I would be absolutely shocked if this girl is ESL, mainly because this kind of thing has become increasingly prevalent with teens and young adults. And what's worse is that it's becoming acceptable.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to live in a world where it's okay to just grunt at each other like a bunch animals.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #53 of 152

As someone whose English is not my native language- when I learned English it was my 3rd language and now one of 4- I seriously doubt that English is not her native language.

Generally people who learn a new language go out of their way to use proper grammar and spelling.
This girl didn't even sign her name or say thank you.
She obviously couldn't even be bothered to walk into the store and inquire.
So I don't find that to be a valid excuse.

I am 27 and went to public school here in Florida from middle school on. If I were to have kids now, I would never send them to public school, it has deteriorated to the point where it is now just a free babysitting service for parents who couldn't care less about their kids if they tried.

I say go ahead and send her your perfectly worded reply, just don't expect anything.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #54 of 152

Summernoelle, I think your e-mail to her is perfect. She's just 17 and inexperienced, and your advice will help her. I think you should send it to her.

I agree that English could be her second language, but I don't think businesses should be expected to overlook or excuse that. Businesses need people who can read, write, and speak in English, and it is the business language for most U.S. companies.

We don't do young people any favors if we don't require that they learn how to communicate effectively in English. Not being able to do so relegates them to low paid, dead end jobs.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #55 of 152

back in 1978, our school had to cut a huge amount out of their budget, due to a different way of funding in the state. The school had for years been on a "Want" budget rather than a "needs" budget. The result of the cuts in funding left no money for extra curricular activities. A committee was formed to raise money for this purpose. One of the fundraising activities was a lunchelon and style show, as the money was going to go toward Cheerleader uniforms, we aske the Cheerleaders to help. Now these girls were any where from 16 to 18 years old. None of the group knew how to peel potatoes, or carrots. Most of them were not able to make change, nor figure out how much to charge, when someone purchased more than one ticket. It was very sad.

I am sure that many of you on this board are about the age those girls were back then, and perhaps your skills were not any better, but somewhere along the line, the girls grew up learned to do what had to be done, and it is my hope that todays 16 year old girls will do the same. There are days when I doubt it will happen.

summernoelle Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:07pm
post #56 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

This girl didn't even sign her name or say thank you.
She obviously couldn't even be bothered to walk into the store and inquire.
So I don't find that to be a valid excuse.

Yep. It's more than the spelling and grammar. It's the form of the email. The not capitalizing her name. Spelling is one thing, rudeness quite another. They have basic etiquette in other countries. She just doesn't know better.

And her name is Amber for goodness sake.

Trixy-I wasn't going to have her send in a resume-I don't want to give her any false hope. I'm not even hiring! icon_lol.gif She just saw my web page, and sent an email.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #57 of 152
Quote:

Trixy-I wasn't going to have her send in a resume-I don't want to give her any false hope. I'm not even hiring! icon_lol.gif She just saw my web page, and sent an email.

Oh, where did I get that from? I've been skimming so maybe it wasn't you. Sorry.

Then in that case I would send your letter. I thought it was very professional and helpful. You might also want to add that instead of sending an email, going to the establishment in person to ask for an application might prove more beneficial than sending an email.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:12pm
post #58 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

As someone whose English is not my native language- when I learned English it was my 3rd language and now one of 4- I seriously doubt that English is not her native language.

Generally people who learn a new language go out of their way to use proper grammar and spelling.

I am with Auryn here - the same situation, English is somewhere on 3rd place among my 5+ languages. People who learn English as second language make different errors. The spelling is almost always better then spelling of native speaker - we learn both at same time, native speaker learns to speak and few years after this starts to learn to write.
Look at my posts. The sentences are sometimes "weird", too long etc. Here and then I don't use the right word - recently I meant "space" and wrote "place".
You can sometimes "read" the person's first language from the errors they make.

A non-native speaker wouldn't send an email without hunting somebody down to proofread, if he/she has the possibility. And we simply want the security of spell checker.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #59 of 152

Look - I made the same error again icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #60 of 152

I really believe that schools today be it in Canada or the US or anywhere for that matter should have some sort of classes that are an Essential part of the curriculum to teach teenagers about Finances,Manners,Proper job hunting ettiquette and of course and Education...meaning how to read and write. It is appalling how many so call "Graduate" with absolutely no education or life skills...It scares me really....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%