Fondant Figurines

Decorating By calivettie Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 4:19am by calivettie

calivettie Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I made my first figures over the weekend and was actually pretty satisfied with them. However, I wanted to keep them and their arms broke off this morning. I didn't do anyhing harsh and I don't understand why this happened.

Is there anything I can do to make them last longer? Or at least not break or crack when handling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would want to be able to make the fondant figures ahead of time and not worry about this.

TIA icon_lol.gif

4 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 5

If you have figurines with appendages that stick out considerably from the body, you might consider forming the whole thing around wire first, give it some internal support.

sweetjan Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 5

Was your fondant too dry? That's what it sounds like it could be.
Using 50/50 fondant and gumpaste and mixing in some crisco when you knead is recommended by the experts here on CC......helps keep the medium from drying out when making figures

kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 5

What did you use to attach the arms? Do you have any pix for us to see? Maybe we can help better w/that info.

calivettie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #5 of 5

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but these are the only ones I have atm.

I attached her arms with a bit of "glue" but one of them broke midway, not at the attaching point.

I used two toothpicks to attach her tail to her body. Should I have added wire or a toothpick in the arms too?

I did knead in a bit of crisco, so I don't think my fondant was too dry...

Quote by @%username% on %date%