Is There An Easier Way To Mix Colors In Icing?

Business By babycakes0022 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm by sillywabbitz

babycakes0022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes0022 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to mix icing colors beside the old fashioned way, by hand. I thought about trying one of those non-commercial milkshake mixers (similar to the kind used at ice cream stands) but wasn't sure if it would be powerful enough. I run my business out of my home and don't usually mix large quantities of colored icing. I usually mix my colors 1-2 cups at a time. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

3 replies
shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 4

I've used a hand-held mixer to mix small batches like that. (But if you're doing several, then you have to keep washing the beaters.) If you don't have one, depending on where you live, you can probably get one for $10-15 at the grocery store. (At least where I live, that's what they cost.)

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 4

For just a cup or two, it doesnt make sense to dirty a KA or similar. Perhaps as Shannon suggested a handheld mixer. What colors are you using? I find liquid ones easier-by the drop rather than the Wilton gels-with a toothpick etc. Much easier-but colors do tend to seperate easily.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 4

One thing I discovered that worked well for medium to thin consistency butter cream is a whisk. If the bc is stiff it just sticks in the wisk but it went much better for regular bc.

Hopefully everyone else will have some ideas as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%