Dummy Cakes Help!

Decorating By SimplySensational Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm by __Jamie__

SimplySensational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensational Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 4

So I was asked to put one of my cakes in a Silent Auction for my daughters softball team. There are about 300 girls that play in her league so it will be great to get it out there that I am doing this....here's my question though....

It is on March 14th so I don't have time to order cake dummies online. I was thinking about going to Joann's or Michaels and seeing what I could find there to use.

I've never made a dummy cake before so I am a little lost as to attaching fondant to it and such so it doesn't slide.

Any input would be great. I have this weekend and next weekend to decorate it and that is it! Wish they would have asked a little sooner. We have softball 5 nights a week! Not sure when they thought I would have time right now to make a display cake!

Please Help!!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

Why are you using a dummy cake? Why aren't you making a real cake to be auctioned off? I'm lost on that point.

Now as for working on styro: The hardest thing to remember is how *light* it is and that it will move around on you. Be sure to put it on a cake board which is on a non-skid pad.
The 1st thing you probably will need to do is soften the hard edge on top. Just turn the styro on it's side and push down on a hard surface (table) turning the styro as you go. It will compact the edge into a rounded, soft edge.
Very lightly spray it w/water then cover w/fondant just as if it were a real cake.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 4

i brush my dummy cakes with sugar syrup to be sure it sticks.. and sometimes i put on two layers depending on thickness of the first layer... i then just treat it as any other cake.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 4

Just order dummies with a rounded edge. That's what I do...I'm lost on the whole need for dummies thing also, though. ?? You totally have time to order, they'd be on the way already. I think mine usually arrive in 4 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%