Help!!! What Can I Do To Fix?

Decorating By Angfastic Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm by kjt

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #1 of 21

So long story short, I had too much icing on the cakes and when I assembled i messed up the icing on the 2nd tier when I put on the 3rd. I tried smoothing with viva, but realized there was too much icing so I start going over each tier and ultimately taking off most of the icing. I don't know that I'd be able to re-ice and get it smooth with it being stacked. I was wondering what technique I could do to cover each tier besides basketweave? Thanks
LL

20 replies
Angfastic Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 21

I went back and smoothed what was on the cake already. Looks better, but still looks like crap. Anyone have any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking of just doing lines of icing all the way around. I saw someone do it on a you-tube cake video.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 21

If you're really asking for advice, I'll be frank...

There really isn't anything you can do while it is still stacked except to do a basket weave. You are going to have to unstack them and re-ice them if you are really going to fix this. I can't think of any design that would cover that up, unfortunately. I'm not trying to be rude so I hope you don't take it that way. Is this for a Wedding? Just for practice?

Even if you decide to cover in fondant you are going to have to unstack them to do so. Good luck and keep us updated...

Tammi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 21

I'm so sorry you are having trouble...it looks like you need a lot more frosting. but, you shouldn't be frosting while the cakes are stacked icon_sad.gif well...unless it's easier for you. I would say to slap on some more frosting right now though...it's too thin

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #5 of 21

I would say yes, you can do that. Use #18 tip and then you can actually smooth it with the spatula. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can offer another suggestion.

Cindy

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 21

If you got the frosting smoothed you can cover with fondant. It looks to me like you could take the top two tiers off and cover them in one big piece of fondant, then, do the same with the two bottom tiers. Other than that I would only suggest to take the tiers apart, re-ice each one, place in freezer long enough to freeze the buttercream and quickly stack them again. Freezing would minimize damage to the buttercream during stacking. You just have to work quickly because the buttercream begins thawing immediately.

So sorry you are having this problem! Your idea of putting stripes of icing would work well if the look will. I have seen a couple of cakes iced in continuous up and down lines using a tip 21 or tip 12 and they look nice when done evenly.

Best of luck!! icon_smile.gif

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #7 of 21

How about the elvira method of taking a high density roller to it, once your icing crusts? You'll have to be careful not to run into the cake below, but I think if you take it slow that might work and get it smoothed again. Good Luck!

Angfastic Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:21am
post #8 of 21

I was using Melvira's method when I had them separated. It worked well on the bottom tier but then starting looking weird on the others so I just used the viva. I think I will try doing lines with tip 12 on a tier and see how that looks. If that doesn't work I'll unstack. I've been working on this since yesterday morning and I think I'm just tired. The wedding is tomorrow so I still have a little time. I just want it to look decent.
Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #9 of 21

What about putting more icing on, then using that method where the icing has strokes in it? I can't think how to describe...kind of looks like you just take your spatula at regular intervals and kind of drag it up the side...then for the tops, maybe chocolate shavings or some kind of petals.

If you could work out something like that, you could focus on getting the sides smooth and not worry about damaging the tops while you're doing the sides...

Angfastic Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:40am
post #10 of 21

Ok this is what I came up with. I just did an s type pattern with tip 32 and a shell border. Pink roses will go on top. Maybe they will make it look better. I certainly hope so. Now I just pray it makes it to the venue in one piece so I can relax and enjoy the wedding. This is just my 2nd wedding cake. I wasn't happy with the first one either. Hopefully I won't have any more friends getting married icon_smile.gif. If so I think I'll have to help in some other way icon_biggrin.gif .
LL

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:57am
post #11 of 21

Nice rescue. It turned out pretty well. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:59am
post #12 of 21

I like what you decided to do to it.

step0nmi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 21

nice save! thumbs_up.gif

Was this a free wedding cake? you are a good friend!

Angfastic Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #14 of 21

Yes it was my gift to them; however, she did put something special in my thank you card icon_smile.gif.

Here is the cake with the flowers. Hopefully I can get a better picture of it to post in the gallery.
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #15 of 21

That was a great rescue. Yes, the flowers help. As long as it tasted great you should be complimentsicon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:01am
post #16 of 21

i think it turned out lovely! icon_biggrin.gif such a nice gift!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #17 of 21

Great save! It looks really good, especially for a cake that had so many issues!

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #18 of 21

I think you did a great job!! Much better than anything I could do!!!!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:35pm
post #19 of 21

I think it turned out really pretty! thumbs_up.gif

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:35pm
post #20 of 21

Nice job, it turned out well after all.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #21 of 21

WOW icon_eek.gif , I'm really impressed with your end result...you'd NEVER know that there was a problem at all. Very Nice! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%