Either The Wilton Large Cake Leveler Is A Piece Of Crap Or

Decorating By Angfastic Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 6:49am by Evoir

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #31 of 58

Another vote for crap. I thought it was me at first. The small one works great for me, though. On larger tiers, I use dental floss. A friend told me a while back that she used piano wire and that worked fantastic. Haven't tried that yet.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #32 of 58

Not to hijack the thread, or anything, but can you use any kind of plain dental floss to torte a cake? I'm kinda nervous about torting a 14in cake tonight and don't really want to buy the large Wilton leveler. I'm also afraid of using my bread knife because it isn't very long.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #33 of 58

I gave the large Wilton a real chance I wanted to like it I really did, BUT it did not work for me. I cannot cut straight for anything so I saved my money and bought what I really wanted an Agbay. I had wanted one for a while and every time I went to order it I thought do I really do enough cakes to justify this? Then the next time I had yet another lopsided cake I would say I am ordering a Agbay tomorrow. This went on for a while until I finally did it and let me tell you I have never regretted that decision. It is like my little bit of sanity when I am doing a cake. I also like the small Wilton but I havent used it since my Agbay arrived. I do have a little bit of guilt because I sold my large Wilton in a garage sale - I hope they had better luck than me.

mcalhoun Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #34 of 58

I gave the large Wilton a real chance I wanted to like it I really did, BUT it did not work for me. I cannot cut straight for anything so I saved my money and bought what I really wanted an Agbay. I had wanted one for a while and every time I went to order it I thought do I really do enough cakes to justify this? Then the next time I had yet another lopsided cake I would say I am ordering a Agbay tomorrow. This went on for a while until I finally did it and let me tell you I have never regretted that decision. It is like my little bit of sanity when I am doing a cake. I also like the small Wilton but I havent used it since my Agbay arrived. I do have a little bit of guilt because I sold my large Wilton in a garage sale - I hope they had better luck than me.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #35 of 58

I do have one, i generally just guide it with my hands as I use it.it's not great but its just ok for me,could be better.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #36 of 58

I do level and torte a lot with my serrated knife though.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:31pm
post #37 of 58

I have the small leveler, and hate it. On a flat surface, I can't even get it to cut a straight line. I just use my bread knife and a turntable now. If I get a real bakery someday, I'll definetly have an Agbay.

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #38 of 58

Is this our only choice when it comes to cake levellers? The cheap doesn't work wilton one, or the arm and a leg cuts like butter agbay?
Is there any other brands out there? I can't afford an agbay, and they don't even have one on ebay!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:07am
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyMama

.....and they don't even have one on ebay!

icon_lol.gif That's because no one wants to part with that perfect piece of equipment!

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:01am
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

.....and they don't even have one on ebay!

icon_lol.gif That's because no one wants to part with that perfect piece of equipment!

LMAO, that's what I figured, I just thought maybe someone got some wholesale, lol! icon_rolleyes.gif

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:36am
post #41 of 58

I've used mine like 5 times and don't have a problem with it. Go slow, keep both sides on a flat surface and its fine. I was using it with WASC so maybe if it was a denser cake it would be a problem. I'm usually not a Wilton fan so I was surprised I liked this.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:59am
post #42 of 58

It's definitely not stiff enough. Would never recommend it to anyone.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm
post #43 of 58
Quote:

Is this our only choice when it comes to cake levellers? The cheap doesn't work wilton one, or the arm and a leg cuts like butter agbay?
Is there any other brands out there? I can't afford an agbay, and they don't even have one on ebay!

Has anyone tried this leveler?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017U1IR6/?tag=cakecentral-20

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #44 of 58

I can't say that I've ever had a problem with the wilton one...as long as it was in the right notches and the feet were on the correct end to keep it from slipping out and I make slow sawing motions. However, now I'm going to be worried that the next torte will be a disaster. I'm definitely interested in the agbay...

mcalhoun Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #45 of 58

The one on the Amazon site is not that much less expensive than the Agbay I would go w/ one that has proven itself.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:44am
post #46 of 58

In my experience, the wilton one is great with dense cakes. In lighter cakes, it will just ruin the edges.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:55am
post #47 of 58

I agree its THE most useless piece of equipment I have ever bought. And FWIW, mine did NOT work on a dense cake either - the blade just twisted and flipped upwards, creating a huge freaking mess!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #48 of 58

I have only had small probs with it. If I didn't wrap my cake with plastic wrap after baking, the edges would get harder and it would rip off the edge instead of cutting. Then I learned to wrap after breaking and got moister cakes and the levler works great!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #49 of 58

Yea! I just sprung for the Agbay - it looks great! Now, if I can just put it together!!! PAT

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:08am
post #50 of 58

I also think it's a piece of garbage. I finally donated mine to the thrift store. Now someone else will get the curse of the bad leveler. icon_evil.gif
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #51 of 58

I want an Agbay so badly!! I don't have the large leveler but I find I do a better job with a bread knife than with the small leveler that I DO have. I'm asking for an Agbay for Christmas. Oh! And that adorable crepe maker from the King Arthur catalog!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #52 of 58

I too have problems with the large one, small one works fine for me though. would also like to get an agbay one day.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #53 of 58

I hate the large wilton leveler, it does not work on any type of cake. Now I just score all around and use dental floss, cuts straight thru with no mess and very even

Littlebit0302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Littlebit0302 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #54 of 58

I have to disagree with the Wilton leveler being crap. I have the smaller one and have had no problem with torting my cakes. I usually leave the cake on my turntable and run the wire around the edges first before pushing the cake through the wire to cut it completely. They have always come out perfect.

Mary_Ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mary_Ann Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #55 of 58

Thanks for the tip about the floss, Patty.

I HATE the large Wilton "leveler" (if it can even be called that.) Love the small one, though.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #56 of 58

I too can only dream of an Agbay...
I only do cakes for fun though so, I will continue struggling with the Wilton leveler icon_sad.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:11am
post #57 of 58

well...after reading this post, i'm having doubts about this wilton leveler. i just purchased mine, but haven't used it yet. i don't know if i want to keep it now...and maybe just get my money back and save up for an agbay. icon_confused.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:49am
post #58 of 58

Diane - I wished I had known in advance how cruddy it was. I would also be saving up for an Agbay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%