Stainless Steel Work Table

Business By pinkbox Updated 11 Dec 2014 , 2:56pm by JamesKelly

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 28

Hi everyone...

I just wanted to ask if there were any of you who have purchased a stainless steel work table?

I am considering purchasing one... just because my plastic bought from Sams Wholesale fold out table doesnt allow my fondant to be even when rolled (bummer)... some thick spots grrr....

I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions and if they found a place that has reasonable priced ones.... Im a one woman caker... so budget is an issue haha.. .goin to have to save a bit.

Any help is appreciated TIA!

27 replies
Granadadaycare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granadadaycare Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 28

My husband made me a stainless steel "sheet" to work on. I put it on the table and it works perfectly. I store it behind some furniture since it is absolutely flat. Look for a sheet metal shop in your area.

rottieluvr2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rottieluvr2000 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 28

I got one from Ikea for $150

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 28

I love my SS worktable. I special-ordered it and it's 2½ meters long. We can both work at the same time and still have room for our crap in the middle.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 28

I was lucky enough to get one at a school auction with storage underneath.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 28

Just got my 30 x 72" with shelf below on ebay from Prima Supply (huge selection of sizes, free shipping) for $280.00 delivered. I think they charge $65 extra if you make them deliver to a residence. That was the best price I could find for new--couldn't find one used.

pinkbox Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 28

Wow!! Thanks everyone... that is some great information!!!

That gives me a great start... I cant wait!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 28

They come in all sizes, we have them ranging from 4' to 6' with a shelf at the bottom for storage. Indispensible. After years, they look like new after a simple wipe down. You should def buy one. At a restaurant supply store they range from $200-350. Most of them have second hand ones available for much less or try a restaurant auction/liquidator- you can get it for $20! Good luck!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 28

Try Craig's List--I got 2 -- one 4' and one 5' long as well as a custom made corner table for $150 total. All have a bottom shelf too! There are just so many restaurants that go out of business.....

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 28

I had one and loved it...mom accidentally sold it and my 3 sink for pennies (brand new 3 sink that cost us $800 total with shipping and 6'x2' ss work table that was almost $300) She sold the both for just $150! She forgot that those were mine! I will never get over that loss!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieluvr2000

What's that like? I was thinking about getting one. Is it heavy duty enough?

rottieluvr2000 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:

What's that like? I was thinking about getting one. Is it heavy duty enough?

Personally I love it! I live in an apartment and with little effort I can move it where ever I want. You can also buy accessories to convert the bottom for storage.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80059652

pinkbox Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 28

I was just looking at our craigslist and they have the Ikea one... how do you like yours rottieluvr2000?? Is it durable... or does it shake?? Im using it to roll fondant.

pinkbox Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 28

rottieluvr2000 I think we were typing at the same time haha... thank you!! I will check it out. The one I found listed on craigslist is smaller I think.

The looking for closed restraunts idea is working too.. I have some one emailing me a list of items and costs.. (Im hoping to go big time someday... so thought why not see what is out there)

rottieluvr2000 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

rottieluvr2000 I think we were typing at the same time haha... thank you!! I will check it out. The one I found listed on craigslist is smaller I think.

The looking for closed restraunts idea is working too.. I have some one emailing me a list of items and costs.. (Im hoping to go big time someday... so thought why not see what is out there)

No problem! For an apartment dweller this was perfect for me and I have never had any issues with it shaking etc. Now if I had a big house I would be looking for a restuarant quality one.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 28

I have 3.......got them at Sam's for $118 each. Work beautifully, and plenty sturdy.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:47am
post #17 of 28

The trouble with the cheap ones is that over time they can warp enough to make fondant rolling a pain in the butt. We had one made without a top and put in a slab of granite. The cool stone is such an awesome work surface.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #18 of 28

Hey txkat what are the dimensions of your granite-top table--that's a great idea!

snarkybaker Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:56am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Hey txkat what are the dimensions of your granite-top table--that's a great idea!

It's 36X60. The granite place gave me the slab for free ( it's a remnant) I just had to pay to have it cut.

snarkybaker Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:57am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

It's 36X60. The granite place gave me the slab for free ( it's a remnant) I just had to pay to have it cut.

dulcefactoria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcefactoria Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:

Is it good? I'm thinking in getting one..thanks

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb12g

I have 3.......got them at Sam's for $118 each. Work beautifully, and plenty sturdy.

I was going to sauggest Sam's too.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #23 of 28

I have two 6 footers from Sam's Club....less than $125 each! They are MARVELOUS, restaurant quality, heavy and sturdy. I also have two matching 7 foot storage shelves in my basement that hold all of my pans, etc. My MIL has the one from IKEA and offered it to me, but it's very flimsy compared to the ones at Sam's, and although it would work fine for everyday storage purposes, if you're going to roll fondant on it I would not recommend it as I believe it would warp over time.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #24 of 28

I bought three at a restaurant auction, but was disppointed because one of them was warped when I started using it. I did not notice it at the auction. Check them out first if you buy one used!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #25 of 28

Thanks for starting this thread. And thanks to everyone who answered! I too, am looking to get a stainless steel table and would not have known where to start. =o)

Notsosweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Notsosweet Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #26 of 28

I just purchased a stainless steel table last week 30 x 30 and got it for around $100.00 from my local restaurant equipment supply. They have all different sizes to choose from. The restaurant quality stainless steel table will out last any table from ikea. Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:03am
post #27 of 28

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE,LOVE mine! I picked it up at a restaurant supply house second hand for $150. I can roll fondant, make big messes and nothing stains or sticks. Be sure though that if you get one with wheels that it has locks. icon_sad.gif

JamesKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesKelly Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 2:55pm
post #28 of 28

Many website is selling stainless steel on internet, before buying any thing just compare to some another sites,,

here is a good stainless product website,,

www.flatpackstainless.com.au

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%