Topsy Turvy Construction Video

Decorating By jsmith Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 2:33am by cookiemama2

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 60

Hi everyone. The last time I made a topsy turvy cake, I video taped the process. I know there are a few different ways to make them but this is how I do it. I hope this helps give you an idea of how to make them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHY_F53ClJ8&feature=channel_page

59 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 60

Thank you sooo much...I really enjoyed watching...Now I see how your Romantic Valentine cakes was in the top 3!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 60

jsmith, thank you so much for sharing this. I did my first TT last weekend and I think I made it much more difficult than it was... I fought it. I see from your video where I went wrong! I thought after I finished that I would never do another one, but I think now I just might give it another shot!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 60

Thanks so much for this video!! I am trying to figure out how I'm gonna do one!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a question, I see that you made the very bottom cake smaller then those stacked on top of it, do you have to do this? It was a the bottom tier, when the video started.

Thanks so much!!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 60

Awesome! Thank you!

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 60

I watched that video the other day, and it finally made sense!!! I think I have enough courage to try one now. Can you made all the layers the same diameter??? ie. all 8 inch

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 60

Thank you so mcuh for that. Its really helpful as I'm a visual learner, I like to see how things are done.

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 60

Thank you so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 60

Thank you...it was GREAT! Really helped me...

jsmith Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 60

Thank you. You can bake the cakes in the same size pan if you'd like and then just carve it to the size you want afterwards. (for example the bottom tier was a 10" cake) In this instance though, in order to save a little cake, I used a 9" layer on the very bottom since I knew I'd be carving about an inch off of there anyway. (for the other two tiers, I didn't have a 7" pan or a 5" pan to do the same thing there so I just baked them all the same size.)

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 60

thank you .so nice of you to share .I think I'll finally gather courage and do it.
thanks

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 60

That's a great tutorial! I love the finished cake. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 60

Thanks so much for posting the video! thumbs_up.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

Thank you. You can bake the cakes in the same size pan if you'd like and then just carve it to the size you want afterwards. (for example the bottom tier was a 10" cake) In this instance though, in order to save a little cake, I used a 9" layer on the very bottom since I knew I'd be carving about an inch off of there anyway. (for the other two tiers, I didn't have a 7" pan or a 5" pan to do the same thing there so I just baked them all the same size.)

Great tip...THANKS! thumbs_up.gif

Patycoelha29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Patycoelha29 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 60

Tanks!! was very helpfull!!!
Great work! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 60

What a wonderful video!! The soothing classical music really helped make it a very enjoyable watch. Well, that and your skilled hands of course!! I just have one question, is that IMBC you are using? I usually use ABC, but yours looked more like the texture of I or S MBC

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:51pm
post #17 of 60

thank you so much. generous people like you are the reason I love CC

like others I've wanted to try this but too afraid and not really sure I understood the construction.

one question:

you put dowels in the bottom tier but did you do it also for the second tier (I don't remember seeing that)?

thanks again

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #18 of 60

Terrific video...thanks!

May I ask what cake recipe you use for Topsy Turvy? It took the carving really well. Did you chill prior to carving?

jsmith Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 60

I used american buttercream. Here's the recipe I use:

http://janellscakes.blogspot.com/2008/08/cake-recipes.html

The recipes I used are the vanilla cake from the Cake Mix Doctor (also on my blog) and Sugarshacks chocolate cake from her blog

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

I added dowels to the middle tier "behind the scenes" The top tier didn't need dowels because it didn't have to support anything heavy. Normally I use the hollow plastic dowels but settled for wooden this time since it was just a fun cake. It did travel well for the few minutes I drove it somewhere.

Also, I froze the cake layers and stacked and carved them when they were still semi frozen.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #20 of 60

Thanks for that once again, it was awesome. You were so kind to share that with us.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #21 of 60

jsmith I hope you don't mind but I posted your video on the spanish side of cc so they can watch your video, since they always ask about topsy turvys. I just want to share the good news. Thankssss again.

Melony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melony Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #22 of 60

What a great video. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. Your cake turned out beautiful!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:37pm
post #23 of 60

Great video! Thanks for sharing, it is really nice to see the process in real time, gives it more of a real life feeling than pictures do.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:08pm
post #24 of 60

Thanks for this I've yet to make one and this is encouraging. I love how everyone on CC is so helpful, I try to share also when possible. Is this done the same if you do it in buttercream and not fondant? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #25 of 60

Thank you so much, I am really going to make a TT cake now.

Lomikesa

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:40pm
post #26 of 60

Oh my goodness, thank you soooo much!!!! honestly I've never imagined myself doing a topsy turvy but guess what??? after seeing your video I think I can do it!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
You are so kind to take the time to do this, thank you again!!!

Now, a stupid question....how do you cut a cake like that? the regular way? so, the slices are slanted?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

I used american buttercream.

Oh awesome. Thanks. It just had more of the MBC look. Glad to know, thank you!

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #28 of 60

Thanks a million jsmith. Can't wait to give it a try.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #29 of 60

I Like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! i also like alot of others on her i thought i coul never be able to do this and just watching you video i think i can now..

THANK YOU over and over again........

let us know of any other videos you do in the future...

jsmith Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm
post #30 of 60

Thanks everyone!
You can ice it in buttercream if you prefer. I actually went over it with a foam roller when my icing crusted to get it really smooth. (thanks Melvira!)

As for cutting, I cut it like normal and if some of the slices are too tall then I cut them in half. There may be a better way but by that point I just don't care anymore. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%