Topsy Turvy Construction Video

Decorating By jsmith Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 2:33am by cookiemama2

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:21pm
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

I actually went over it with a foam roller when my icing crusted to get it really smooth. (thanks Melvira!)

icon_redface.gif Hehehe... yay!! thumbs_up.gif

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #32 of 60

Thank you, thank you thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #33 of 60

Thank you very much! You are very talented. icon_smile.gif

CatherineR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineR Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #34 of 60

Thank you so much for the time you took to make this video, like others that have not made a TT yet, I have to see when I can make one, I hope soon. These type of videos are so helpful and an advance thank you to all that will be making future videos. icon_biggrin.gif

ezbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ezbakin Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #35 of 60

I watched your video on this type of cake. You make it look easy. IN your opinion is this tech difficult? IN my mind it seems really difficult. Also can you do this with buttercream or do you feel that it would make the final result more difficult. Thanks for any advice you may have icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #36 of 60

I loved the cake..I was wishing it won the valentine's deal with doug. I was dissapointed. Thats basically how I do my Topsy Turvys too.

I think topsy turvys are not difficult, just messy and is best to take your time ezbakin.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:59pm
post #37 of 60

Thanks so much for this video jsmith!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I found this video online last week when I had my first topsy turvy to do...it helped so much. I was already in the process though so I know what I can do diff next time!

Thanks again! You're the best! thumbs_up.gif

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #38 of 60

aaaaghhh!!!! thank you so much!! I've read about that method before but I could never seem to grasp it! Last time I did a topsy, it fell over. But you just gave me confidence to try it again icon_smile.gif thank you!

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:15pm
post #39 of 60

Thank-you so much for posting this! After watching it I'm actually going to give this a try someday. Thanks again for taking the time to do this and sharing it. That's awesome and really appreciated!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:17am
post #40 of 60

Thanks everyone! I'm glad it helped.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:22am
post #41 of 60

Oh wow you made it look so easy! I have a few questions, hope you don't mind... why do you spritz it with water, is it so the fondant will stick? is your BC crusting?

I LOVE the design too. so precious! Did you win? You should win!!!!

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:40pm
post #42 of 60

thank you so much for the video. I'm a visual person, and this was a G-d send.
I need to make a birthday cake for my daughter's 11th birthday and she asked for a topsy turvy piano cake. Last year I made a topsy for her and it was sliding. I vowed to never make one again.
Now I see where I went wrong. I am willing to give it another try.

Thank you so much for the insight.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #43 of 60

thanks for the video...very much appreciated,hopefully I will get to do one in the future.

jsmith Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm
post #44 of 60

Thanks! My icing crusts so I have to spritz it with water to make the fondant stick. I have a water bottle that is just for cake stuff.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:07pm
post #45 of 60

Thanks

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:13pm
post #46 of 60

Thank you so much for posting this! I have to make a cake for my daughter's Brownie patch ceremony and I needed a new idea! They always want a better cake than last time and I thought my last one was kind of a stretch of my skills. You made this look do-able though, so thank you very much!

BTW, can I ask if you use a powdered sugar frosting or a cooked icing? It looks so nice and fluffly and creamy! I would read through the posts, but my daughter just got home so my computer time is about over icon_rolleyes.gif

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #47 of 60

Wow, just in time! I have to do a cake for a 1st birthday and was quite nervous about doing this, I have never constructed one before. I'm now going to try it. You're an angel! Thanks

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #48 of 60

OHH, thanks, I off too UTUBE!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #49 of 60

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!!!

I have a question: Is each cake on foam board, or a cardboard cake circle? How easy (or Hard) is it to drive that center dowel through? Do you hammer lightly or what?

Hazel

iceit4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceit4me Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:50am
post #50 of 60

I'm a visual learner also and I have been searching for a good video on these cakes. Thank you so much for this tutorial!

jsmith Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:08pm
post #51 of 60

I usually use cardboard rounds. It's not very hard to get the center dowel through. I use my garden shears but you can use a little hammer or mallet. I try to hammer lightly but sometimes have to hammer a little harder to get it to go through the boards.

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:10pm
post #52 of 60

Thanks for taking the time to do this!! I've done a couple small ones, but you make it look so easy!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #53 of 60

Wow...that was cool to watch...Thanks for taking the time to pass it on to all of us!

ezbakin Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:39am
post #54 of 60

I am trying to decide if I want to attempt this type of cake for a customer. This is a last minute order and I only have 1 day to do it. Sometimes when people are very vauge in what they want its harder. The cake is for a 1yr old boys b-day. They want something that is in tiers or has dimention to it no flat sheet cake. She suggested the topsy turvy but I am afraid of how it may transport. She will be picking the cake up at my house and driving 20 min to her location. If I attempted a 2 tier topsy turvy I need it for 30 people what sizes would I need to make and again I am not sure of the stability of it esp with me not being there to transport it. I was told they want primary colors but they don't want the "typical 1yr old cake". So no building blocks, letters, numbers etc. I am at a loss and any advice or suggestions is appreciated. I am going on 4hrs sleep so I am going to attempt to get some rest and wake up tomorrow and make a decision, although I won't be able to sleep thinking about this cake. Thanks again for taking the time and ANY and ALL suggestions are appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

ezbakin Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #55 of 60

I am trying to decide if I want to attempt this type of cake for a customer. This is a last minute order and I only have 1 day to do it. Sometimes when people are very vauge in what they want its harder. The cake is for a 1yr old boys b-day. They want something that is in tiers or has dimention to it no flat sheet cake. She suggested the topsy turvy but I am afraid of how it may transport. She will be picking the cake up at my house and driving 20 min to her location. If I attempted a 2 tier topsy turvy I need it for 30 people what sizes would I need to make and again I am not sure of the stability of it esp with me not being there to transport it. I was told they want primary colors but they don't want the "typical 1yr old cake". So no building blocks, letters, numbers etc. I am at a loss and any advice or suggestions is appreciated. I am going on 4hrs sleep so I am going to attempt to get some rest and wake up tomorrow and make a decision, although I won't be able to sleep thinking about this cake. Thanks again for taking the time and ANY and ALL suggestions are appreciated.

paola041277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paola041277 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #56 of 60

Thank you very much....

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #57 of 60

absolutely fantastic!!! You made that look sooo easy! Thank you for sharing it!

ChicagoAlex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChicagoAlex Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #58 of 60

Thank you so much for posting this! It was very helpful since I am making my first TT cake this week.

Beautiful work!

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #59 of 60

Thanks for the post! I was just telling my husband that's my next project to tackle!! Hey I noticed that you are from Louisiana...what part? I'm in Lafayette... thumbs_up.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:33am
post #60 of 60

Wow. I love this, but i was never quite sure how it was done.
thank you for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%