Practice Wedding Cake!?!

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm by leah_s

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 9

So, I am going to do my first wedding cake in April. It needs to feed approx. 150 people. I have never done a cake that big before...nor have I ever done a wedding cake before!

Is it pretty standard to do a practice cake for something like this? I really want the practice, but can't figure out what in the world I would do with an entire 150 serving cake.

Not to mention...that would cost a lot in time and resources.

8 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 9

I would probably practice the design on a smaller scale. I have a wedding cake in October with a design I'm a little "iffy" on. SO! Any cake I do for my family.....has this design on it! LOL

Beth in KY

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 9

Cake dummies are your friend! LOL you can practice on these till your hearts content and you don't have to worry about them going to waste.

hth

BlondiezBakery Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the advice.

I have to admit that a lot of my fear is coming from not having done a cake that large before. I am assuming that I still use the SugarShack method of bubble tea straws, cake boards, and dowels.

However...just dealing with that much cake is a lil' spooky. But, if I back a cake for 150 people I think that may be really crazy.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 9

Just think of it as three (or four) individual cakes that happen to be stacked on top of each other. You're going to ice and decorate each of them separately.

You've done smaller stacked cakes. Just think of this as the very same thing, the very same process, only it HAPPENS to be a little taller.

You will do fine. I promise! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 9

If it's the baking & handling of the larger cakes that has you worried......
Police, firefighters, hospital personal; the employees of your bank; your drs. office; the kid's school; etc, etc are all good recipients of cakeicon_smile.gif
Call and explain that you have to try out a new recipe in a large size & would they like to taste some of it. You don;t have to give all of it to one place.....give one tier to each or whatevericon_smile.gif

BlondiezBakery Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:01am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all of the support and suggestions. I have a little bit more confidence now.

Also, Kakeladi...great idea on donating cakes. My husband and I don't work in offices and we don't have kids...so I never have a home for trial cakes.

Thanks!

crazycakes74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes74 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 9

Sari66 is right!! Dummy cakes, dummy cakes, & more dummy cakes!!!! Not only do you get the practice, but you can keep it for advertisement. Good luck... I'm sure you'll do great!! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 9

Also, please look into using SPS as your support system. You won't be sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%