Sifting Powdered Sugar?

Decorating By Sixtoes Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm by shannon100

Sixtoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sixtoes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:38am
post #1 of 12

Some say sift your powdered sugar for buttercream and some do not call for this to be done!! What do you all do?!! Sifting 4 pounds of PS would be grewling...
icon_cry.gif

Thanks for the input....

11 replies
Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:52am
post #2 of 12

I sift every dry ingredient used. I've found some odd things over the years in things and thankfully by sifting they didn't end up in a customer order like it very easily could have.

It doesn't take me long at all to sift because I have a battery operated sifter. thumbs_up.gif

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:14am
post #3 of 12

Yup, I've started sifting all dry ingredients as well. I just find that the extra time is worth it in the end product.

Now, where do I find one of those battery operated sifters?????

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #4 of 12

It does not take me long to sift large amounts of dry ingredients. I do not have a sifter, I just put a mesh colander over my workbowl, dump in the ingredients, and stir.

You can get a set of these for about $20 from Amazon (search on 'Mesh Colander Set'). I have also seen them in Target or WalMart.
LL

snns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snns Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:37am
post #5 of 12

same as Barbaranne does
"STIR SIFTING" thats what I do too... icon_biggrin.gif

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:48am
post #6 of 12

I have a smaller hand held mesh strainer that I use for sifting, and just shake the handle back and forth. This makes very quick work of the job!

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:48am
post #7 of 12

I use a hand held mesh sieve. I was going to start looking for a sifter but first I'll try the mesh colander like above first.

Tipper12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tipper12 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:45am
post #8 of 12

I always Stir Sift too - better safe than sorry later.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:44am
post #9 of 12

I think I will start sifting as well. I have that little sifter, but the one from Amazon looks like it would be a lot easier!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:27am
post #10 of 12

Sifting is well worth the time. I too sift all my dry ingredients (except when using flour and the recipe specifically calls for unsifted). The final mix just seems better blended and "finer".

Sixtoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sixtoes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks!! I will go out and buy the mesh strainer and stir. All I have is a small hand held sifter and I takes forever....

Just baked my first WASC cakes last night and froze them. Can I make the buttercream tonight and place in frig until Friday? How long will it take the buttercream to come to room temp before I begin icing the cake?

Thanks again...
You all are the best thumbs_up.gif

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 12

I'm new to sifting too! I didn't for so long, and I just started doing it, and what a difference it makes!! I just have a handheld mesh strainer, but it works perfectly. I work in batches of probably 2-3 cups at a time. I shake it back and forth over a bowl and then dump it in my mixer, and while it's getting mixed up, I'm sifting the next few cups. It doesn't involve any extra time, except the first sifting (but even that I can do while my mixer is creaming my butter and crisco.)

I had been having a problem with lumps in my BC, but no more!! I'll never not sift again!!

PS. I've even start sifting my cake mixes, and that's helped get rid of my lumpy batters too! icon_smile.gif

ETA: To answer your question, yes, you can make the BC now for Friday. You can keep it for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. It could thaw in about 30 minutes or so, depending on how much is in your bowl. You'll probably need to rewhip it, though, to get it smooth again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%