Several How Do I's!

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 2:40am by niccicola

rcsnickers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcsnickers2 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 10

My first How Do I is what is wrong with my buttercream regarding roses. How can you tell it is the right stiff consistency? My roses seem like they are about to fall flat, most times they do. I may get several layers of roses but not the beautiful outstanding looks like a rose detail that I want! Maybe it is my butter?

I use 1 c each butter and shortening, 2 tsp vanilla, 8 cu conf sugar, milk if needed.
I use butter from a tub so maybe it is too soft?

My second How Do I is getting height in flowers upon flowers? Mine come out flat on the whole cake? I want it to look like they are raised? Does this make sense? I want the bouquet of flowers on the top of my cake to stand up now just spread out.

The first picture I will post is to describe my roses. The second picture will describe how my flowers look spread out on top instead of raised!

Thanks for your help!
LL

9 replies
rcsnickers2 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 10

now for the picture to show how I need help with my roses! Sorry the pictures are not in correct order but hopefully they will show how I need help! Thanks
LL

rcsnickers2 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 10

now for the picture to show how I need help with my roses! Sorry the pictures are not in correct order but hopefully they will show how I need help! Thanks
LL

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 10

Hi rcsnickers,
For your roses, it looks like your icing may not be stiff enough. First, I would recommend using stick butter rather than butter from a tub b/c I believe the tub is alot softer. Every environment is different in terms of humidity, so you're going to have to adjust depending on your weather. To get stiffer icing, simply add more powdered sugar. You may have to play around with your consistency until it works.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your second question correctly, but if you want to make your flowers seemed raised, simply put a mound of icing on the surface of the cake and then arrange your flowers on it accordingly.

Hope this helps.

nanny6sap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny6sap Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 10

Tub butter contains alot of what i call water & may be why your icing is too soft. I stick to just Butter or make up some BC using only crisco to use just for flowers. Works for me.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 10

I second that, nanny6sap. No sense in wasting expensive butter on roses that most people don't eat. If you make a half batch (according to your recipe) with only Crisco it will stand up really well. If you want to use the butter, go with stick or you can add a little butter extract along with your vanilla for the flavor.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 10

I suggest for making your roses you need a much stiffer icing.
Yes, the use of the tub butter is what is making your icing thin.
I also suggest you try using the Wilton class icing recipe for your roses. I know, it doesn't taste great, but until you learn how stiff the icing should be and get used to making good ones try it. The stiff consistency is what you want...
Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon flavoring
4 cups (may need up to 1/2 cup more) powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons water
If you are going to use this strictly for practice you can use all shortening and leave out the flavoring.
This is the consistency you need for roses.
If it really hurts your hand to squeeze it thru the tip, add a teaspoon of corn syrup or piping gel.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 10

Usually butter does not come in a tub. If butter is in a tub, it is whipped butter so has air whipped in and the measure is not correct.

What you are calling butter is probably margarine spread. The spreads do not work like butter, and are not interchangable with butter.

You want either real butter, or margarine sticks to use in your buttercream.

Personally, I only use real butter. I use equal parts of butter and shortening. That makes a pretty medium-ish consistency buttercream, and does ok for roses.

If I was doing a lot of "buttercream" roses, I would use all shortening for the part of icing I would use for the roses. that will help them stand up better. You can use butter flavor to help with the taste (use in place of part of the liquid you would use).

Good luck!

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 10

Usually butter does not come in a tub. If butter is in a tub, it is whipped butter so has air whipped in and the measure is not correct.

What you are calling butter is probably margarine spread. The spreads do not work like butter, and are not interchangable with butter.

You want either real butter, or margarine sticks to use in your buttercream.

Personally, I only use real butter. I use equal parts of butter and shortening. That makes a pretty medium-ish consistency buttercream, and does ok for roses.

If I was doing a lot of "buttercream" roses, I would use all shortening for the part of icing I would use for the roses. that will help them stand up better. You can use butter flavor to help with the taste (use in place of part of the liquid you would use).

Good luck!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 10

I use the Wilton class recipe for buttercream except 1/2 butter 1/2 Crisco and it both tastes great and makes stiff consistency just fine. if I need it medium or thin, I add more water. But the original Wilton recipe calls for 2 tbls of water per 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup shortening and 4 cups sugar. Makes great stiff icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%