Ideas For A Friends 36 Year Birthday??

Decorating By miscue Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 11:51am by Caths_Cakes

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:50am
post #1 of 13

I'm looking to make a cake for a girl at work who's turning around 36. I am just starting out, so I would love to practise and suprise her with a cake. Any ideas for something kinda easy?
I know she loves 'sex and the city', shoes, fashion etc, but I don't think i could model any of those things yet.... too hard for me.

12 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:58am
post #2 of 13

theres a tutorial on youtube on how to make a pair of blue jeans cake, if she loves fashion i guess you could jazz the jeans up and make them more stylish. something like that icon_biggrin.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:35am
post #3 of 13

I think you are underestimating yourself. The cakes you've done are really great and I think you could take on the things you described. For an idea, what about doing a shopping bag or shoebox cake. Or you can do a square or round cake and cut out buildings from fondant to go with the sex and the city theme, add a shoe, martini glass, gift bag, etc on top.

If you want to keep it a bit more simple, you can do a gift box or present cake using her favorite colors. I have a link to a really awesome tutorial on how to make a two-tone loopy bow.

HTH. Good Luck with the cake! Can't wait to see what you decided. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 13

Do you have any cookie cutters in shapes of a shoe, any piece of clothing? Cut out your fondant.
OR find a nice sized pic on the internet or in a catalog and trace it on a piece of file card to use as a templet to cut around w/a sharp knife.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 13

what about a handbag cake either slab cut to shape then iced or a 3D sculptered cake in fact you could do the slap style of anything a shoe anything...

look forward to what you end up making good luck and have fun with it after all its not often we get the chance or excuse to have a play so go for it and enjoy the experience.

miscue Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:08am
post #6 of 13

Thanks everyone - such good ideas! I think I will try to either make a shoe box cake, or the shopping bag... she would love either one of those things....
although, she'd love actual shoes, and actual stuff in the shopping bag morre! icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I better get researching......
Thanks again.

miscue Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:52am
post #7 of 13

I wanted to tell you all how my cake went. I just finished it.
I decided to make a shoe box cake - and it turned out to be quite the nightmare!
It sounds obvious, but I didn't realise I need more cake than I have ever used in the past, so I made a last minute extra cake. Then I ran out of Ganache, so I had to do a dash to the shop and grab some ingredients, then make ganache, wait til it cooled etc.......
Then when I finally got around to decorating (which I thought would be the easy part) I couldn't get the black ready to roll icing to stop sticking! It seriously was a nightmare. But then I finally pulled it together and took it slow on the black RTR and actually it worked out better because it just never seems to set, so I played with the icing for ages while it was on the cake.
Anyway all in all, I am so thankful to you ladies for suggesting I try something like this, because I would never have thought I could do it.
It's still not perfect, but I learnt alot of cake dec lessons from this!
LL

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 13

looks great..... Is this the cake you were hating this afternoon? If so you've done yourself proud for 2 reasons.........1. for perseverance and 2. for making a fabulous cake! icon_biggrin.gif

miscue Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 13

This WAS the cake - I wanted to stop doing it, but I persevered because I had spent so much money on the ingredients etc, and I wanted to make this girl a cake!!!!
Thanks Brontecakes.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 13

This an easy cake you could do, just draw a paper template, make a rectangle cake and carve the shape from the template.

Lomikesa
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:09am
post #11 of 13

I think you did a fab job! I bet she loved it and you!!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:00am
post #12 of 13

WELL DONE - you have done a brillante job icon_smile.gif
I bet your friend will be thrilled....
The world is your oyster now in the land of all things cake.

Bh.
icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:51am
post #13 of 13

oooo i really like the shoe box cake !!!!! been wanting to try one my self biut never had reason to! i bet the birthday gurl loved it! its fab well done x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%