Chocolate Covered Strawberries?

Decorating By SassySweetz Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 2:31am by SassySweetz

SassySweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassySweetz Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #1 of 5

Can I use semi-sweet bakers chocolate to make chocolate covered strawberries? Or do I need to use milk chocolate morsels? Also, do I need to add a little shortening to the chocolate? These are for a class party tomorrow at my childs school. Should I make them tonight or in the morining? The party is at 2:30 tomorrow!

TIA!

Ashley!

4 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:38am
post #2 of 5

You can use any kind of chocolate, I typically do the semi-sweet. As far as Crisco being added. I don't generally with semi, but I do with white chocolate. It tends to lump worse. If you want to add a little, it won't hurt, either way is fine.

I would wait to in the morning, they tend seep, ?sp? Anyway, they leak and the chocolate kinda makes a shell, they are much better the day of.

icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 5

Use any kind of chocolate you wanticon_smile.gif My personal fav is semi darkicon_smile.gif
I would add a bit - 1 Tablespoon per pkg - to keep the choco softer. It will not crack as easily when they bite into the berry.
Make sure you do not wash them w/water. Just use a slightly damp paper towel to wipe them. And yes, do them in the a.m. Do not put them into the frig after them are dipped. Cover lightly w/plastic - don't seal.

lotsofsprinkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsofsprinkles Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 5

I agree, any chocolate will work... but I always make mine the day before and fridge them and they've always been fine. You can also be creative with them by dupping them in sprinkles or nuts after you coat them with chocolate... Yum icon_smile.gif

SassySweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassySweetz Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the ideas! I was freaking out.... I'm so type "A" and want everything to be perfect at all times.....I know....I should give that idea up! But hey....I'm me!

LOL

Thanks again!

Ashley!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%