Freezing Cake

Decorating By pinkyEm Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm by kakeladi

pinkyEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkyEm Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 9

I just spent about 45 minutes reading lots of posts about freezing cakes and got lots of good info to successfully freeze and thaw my cakes. (Great posts, thanks to everyone!) But I have one question that I didn't seem to find an answer to. It may have been answered but I didn't find it. I just made 2, 6 inch cakes and I put a little more batter than I usually do and got a pretty good dome. Which is fine, I would rather have too much than not enough. Should I level the cake then freeze or freeze then level after I thaw them?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for asking so many question about this one cake!

8 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 9

I always level and tort my cakes and then freeze them(If I have to freeze). It just makes it easier to pull out, thaw, and assemble. HTH!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 9

Hi Lisa, I too had many questions when I started freezing my cakes. Here is my process, see how it works for you:
Cool cake completly.
Level, fill assemble, carve whatever you need to do
Wrap a good two or three times in saran wrap
Cover with Tin Foil
Use a Sharpie Marker to remind yourself what it is (I go to the freezer and see all these things wrapped in tin foil with no clue what they are!)

It's much easier to do all this before you freeze the cake, cutting through it after it's been frozen is really difficult.
Hope that helps!

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 9

I also level the cakes before freezing.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyEm

I just spent about 45 minutes reading lots of posts about freezing cakes and got lots of good info to successfully freeze and thaw my cakes. (Great posts, thanks to everyone!) But I have one question that I didn't seem to find an answer to. It may have been answered but I didn't find it. I just made 2, 6 inch cakes and I put a little more batter than I usually do and got a pretty good dome. Which is fine, I would rather have too much than not enough. Should I level the cake then freeze or freeze then level after I thaw them?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for asking so many question about this one cake!

i usually level them first before freezing them i have also heard you can put your icing between the layers and freeze like that my friend did it and it turned out ok only thing you need to allow more time to unthaw them i dont thing fruit or pudding fillings freeze well

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyEm

PhishTech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhishTech Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 9

I leave the dome when I put it in the freezer and cut off when it has thawed and I am ready to torte and fill. When I bake, I take out of oven, let sit for 20-30 minutes and then run a knife around the pan to loosen cake and then pop in the freezer still in the pan...dont cover or anything. I do this if I am going to use the cake within 1-2 weeks. I have never had a single person complain and no one ever knows I freeze. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH...

pinkyEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkyEm Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks!! I was really hoping everyone would say to level first then freeze. I like to level my cakes while they are still warm. I just have a much easier time doing it then.

Level then freeze it is! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 9

Actually it can be done either before or after fzing. It makes sense that the cake layers will go into the fzr better if they are level. You don't have to worry about setting something on top of a domed cake and having it get lopsided or cracking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%