Cake Balls - Other Ideas Instead Of Chocolate Coating?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm by michellesArt

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 16

I've never made cake balls, but they sound delicious. Unfortunately, I will be making them for people that cannot have chocolate or nuts. Anyone have any suggestions on other options for dipping them in? I know one recipe suggested powdered sugar, anything else? TIA!

15 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 16

How about dipping them in candy melted...different flavors for color...I went to a 15yr old, and they just iced them in b/c in the theme of the party, colorful...add luster for added slimmer

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 16

How about poured/liquid fondant...

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 16

Poured fondant?

Edited to say: prcutie71, I think we were writing at the same time!!

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 16

LOL ngfcake...great minds think alike!!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 16

Powdered sugar doesn't work very well as the moisture in the icing that binds the cake balls together starts to dissolve the powdered sugar. I love the poured fondant idea and I would roll in jimmies, non-parells, or colored sugar (coarse or fine). How about also rolling in crushed candy bars such as Butterfingers or Heath Bars too.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 16

how about dipping it in powdered sugar glaze? You know, the glaze that we use on top of bundt cakes or donuts.... try coloring them too...

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 16

Alton Brown did a show where he rolled truffles in crushed nuts, coconut and cocoa powder. I bet rolling them in pistachos would look pretty.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 16

Opps...no nuts!

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 16

No nuts and no chocolate... hmmm, what about crushed cookies, like vanilla wafers or graham crackers. Put them in a food processor to get it really fine.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 16

white chocolate melts

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 16

Crushed cereal.

ETA an Example: PB cake balls rolled in crushed PB Cap'n Crunch. Sounds weird. Tastes good. Gives it a slight crunchy coating.

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 16

Usually those alergic to chocolate can still have white chocolate. If that is the case with them, you can dip them in a white chocolate.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. They sounds sooo yummy! Since I've never made these before, are the cake balls sticky? I'm asking because some of the suggestions were cookie crumbs, crushed cereal, etc. and I wasn't sure how to make these ingredients "stick" to the cake balls. Any cake ball recipes that anyone would like to share? icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 16

i agree that poured fondant would be a good alternative (just double check the ingredients-is it nut based-almonds?) or sugar sand, sprinkles/jimmies oreocookie crumbs (ymmmm)

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 16

i just thought of bakerella has the best cake ball related anything!! she was on martha stewart a while back and has a great blog (just search bakerella) hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%