Make A Large Roundcake?!

Decorating By dellswife Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm by dellswife

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:30am
post #1 of 8

I just got an email fome someone asking for a large round cake.....I asked how large andshesays "like 10" high and 25" across"

........................... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif ................................

How can I pull this off? She wants a hole in the top so she can put a wine glass on top?!
HELP!

7 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 8

The only way that would be possible is to make a bunch of sheets and carve them round, or at least I think that's the only way. Is she serious?? icon_eek.gif I cannot imagine what on earth this would be made to resemble.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:05am
post #3 of 8

I see no way to 'pull this off' icon_sad.gif
Oh, Duff (Charm City Cakes) made a huge 'cupcake' by baking in a metal tub w/a huge hole in the middle (he put another something in container in the center I think filled w/water), then baked other cakes to fill in the hole. I don't remember the final size of this thing. They said it was a world record for the largest cupcake, but then the honor was taken away because it wasn't actually a cupcake.
Only special commercial ovens could hold any cake near that size. Many won't even hold a 16" round much less 25".

What in the world is happening w/people suddenly wanting such huge cakes??

dellswife Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you guys! I just did a jaw drop when she suggested it, and all Ikept thinking (other that how am I going to di it) is how on earth would it look?!?!?!?!?

jammjenks~This is what SHE suggested to me................but I mean, how many sheet cakes and waste is this going to be....and carve it round. Aiyiyi...........Thank you!!!

kakeladi ~Oh yes, I remember that show.....Didn't realize the award was taken away, but even I wondered how that could be considered a cupcake :p
I'm just going to have to tell her no. Another question I had, even if I stacked sheet cakes, was how on earth am I going to find a cake board large enough.............sheesh.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, not only would there be a problem w/a board big enough how would anyone get it out/in the door? People just don't think.

dellswife Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 8

LOL, good thought kakeladi [/code]

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 8

Give her a price like Duff would charge & see if she still wants to do it. You could then get a real wood board from Home Depot or Lowes & cover it & start stacking. I agree, I can't imagine what a cake that size would look like & the decorating would take forever. You'd have to charge a lot.

dellswife Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your opinion newnancy! I told her I wouldn't do it and that she may be able to find someone else, but there are just too many factors in this cake that I just don't feel comfortable doing. Haven't heard from her since......
sigh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%