Ideas For A Cake Decorating Party?

Decorating By Jewelsx19 Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 3:22am by TammyH

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 9

Well its not really a party, its a group of 10 boy scouts ages 5-7!
I have been asked to host a cake decorating night in my home, I am doing it next monday and we are decorating mini heart shaped cakes.

But how should I do it that it will be easiest for boys of this age? and what all should I have available for them to use?

Thanks so much for ideas!

8 replies
Chelle06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelle06 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 9

I'd say lots and lots of sprinkles! all kids love sprinkles LOL and maybe have the cakes pre-iced, but have piping bags for each so they can all write or draw their own things. and maybe some candy hearts, licorice strings and other candies too for them to decorate with. hope that helps!

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 9

I definitely agree with having lots of little candies and things that the kids can put on.

I did something like this with a slightly older group of girls, and they enjoyed selecting the colours to be made...I had about 7 of them and I let each one choose one colour that we would mix up (for the most part I would put the colour in the icing and they would mix it, if they wanted it darker I again would add it otherwise they used too much colour!)

best of luck!

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #4 of 9

Have pre-filled piping bags with couplers then an assortment of tips that they can change out for each color. Have sprinkles. Some fondant and rollers/cutters. Make sure you have plenty of spatulas... you may want to consider having them already base coated and just have the kids decorate them. I did a cake decorating party for my daughters 6th birthday and the girls had a blast... Good Luck and let me know if I can offer more suggestions!

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #5 of 9

A really easy decoration would be to have several bright colors of frosting in bags with the same round tip and let the kids do a series of squiggles. They could switch bags until everyone has used each color. Then change to a star tip and let them make a border on the bottom. I agree with the sprinkles idea as a finishing touch and having the cakes frosted ahead of time. icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:52am
post #6 of 9

I agree with the sprinkles and piping bags. Last summer at a family picnic. I made cupcakes and made lots of different bright colors of icing and put the icing in disposable piping bags with star tips. I also had different types and colors of sprinkles. I took one cupcake and decorated to show them how to squeeze the bags and then I let them have at it! They had a ball. The youngest was about 2 and the oldest 12. The all had lots of fun. It was intresting to see the results too!!! lol.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #7 of 9

You'll want to make sure to use a rubber band, or some sort of small clip at the top of the bag. I have taught several groups of this age, and their hands can't seem to squeeze from the top properly, only from the middle

It only took one time of cleaning frosting out of hair, clothes and off the floor to figure that one out! icon_lol.gif

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:10am
post #8 of 9

1- stations- set up tables with bowls of sprinkles, candy hearts, chocolate chips, etc. Keep re-fill supplies under the tables so no one has to go in search of items. I don't reccomend using piping bags. They may frustrate the children since their hands are so small.
2- Have as much done in advance at each station
3- Have a parent at each station

When working with that age group it's very important to let them be creative and messy too.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #9 of 9

I've done this quite a bit (with my kids and their friends). I would recomend:
1. use piping bags, just make the frosting "soft" -- kids LOVE to use these.
2. put "something" under each child's cake -- like a large plate (plastic) or a jelly-roll pan. This will catch all the extra sprinkles that will just bounce off the cake (ask me how I know...)
3. if you can, let them choose the colors (kids LOVE to pick their own).
4. my kids liked to frost their own cake, but I almost always "finish" it for them (in other words, they like to put a large blob of frostin on the top and then they dont know how to get it on the sides).
5. sprinkles, sprinkles, sprinkes (did I mention sprinkles?). Oh, and those RI eyes. my youngest LOVES to put these on all his cakes...??

Have fun. The kids will have a blast!

TammyH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%