Do You Think If I Begged...

Decorating By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 2:02am by hammer1

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 21

DH would put a computer in the kitchen??!?!?!? LOL! I am making my cakes and I love to watch sharon's video's and be on cc in case I need something! I hate to walk away from the kitchen and have to come all the way back here to the comp. LOL, 'all the way', like that's so far! LOL I think it would be so much easier with a comp in the kitchen though, could listen to all my songs I have downloaded, gosh... I think I may want a laptop for our anniversary! LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 21

Laptop is THE way to go these days. Saw an article in the paper that they are now outselling the desktop ones! I've had a laptop 4-5 years now and gave the 'other' one to my daughters preschool for the kids to learn to use a computer on! AND when I go to the Phoenix cake show/classes next week......the laptop and cell phone are the first to get packed to go! hehehehe

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 21

My laptop is in the kitchen. I love it to look up recipes. I hardly ever use my print cookbooks anymore!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 21

I would love to have a laptop!!!! icon_smile.gif

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 21

I love my laptop, it never leaves the kitchen/living room area! It is so nice to be able to look at the pictures that inspire my cakes while I am working on them. A customer brought hers to a meeting we had to show me cake pics and I wish I had thought of that, no more printing tons of pics to bring along. I am gonna ask my DH to buy me my very own icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 21

I also take my laptop when meeting with clients! What did we do before computers! I have so many 'inspiration' photos from right here at CC that we can always find something to work with if they come with no ideas at all. Often them send me a picture or link and I save the photos to a named file for them so we can bring it up when we talk. I can live without all of my old cake books....but not my computer!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 21

Love the computer in the kitchen. I have desktop so when I remodeled the kitchen I had a computer station installed. A door slides down to cover it when not in use-of couse I have so many papers and junk stacked on the desk area now that I can't close the door. Printer and paper below and cookbooks etc. above. Since it is normally on, it is not unusal for visiting relatives or friends to sit down at the desk, ask if it's ok, and proceed to use it.
LL

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 21

I just got my laptop last fall. I use it for all my cake stuff, recipes.Show brides wedding cakes. I just got the wedding cake design program.
I just used it for a Bride for her Valentines day Wedding she loved picking out the design and color. If you have to go somewhere its easier to take than to lug all the bridal books.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 21

I bought a laptop just for that purpose. It is so handy to have on the island and be able to access sugarshack's DVDs and CC when decorating.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 21

I'm seriously considering a laptop next time! Mine is for a slighty different reason though. Often, when I'm decorating, I am also chatting on instant messenger with a friend. So it's like having someone "hanging out" in the kitchen with me while I work. Fun!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 21

Yeppers - bought a 17" laptop for my kitchen. There is a desktop just around the corner, but it is sooooo nice to have it right where I want it with no wires or encumbrances. And, prices are really falling.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 21

Wireless laptop all the way. When you're on CC too long and your bladder just WON'T hold out any longer, it's fun not to miss a thing as you take your laptop to the bathroom with you! thumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 21

I've been a laptop user for years now. I only have a desktop to hook my router to (if anybody knows how I can do that without a desktop, please let me know). Unfortunately, I can't get an internet connection in my kitchen or dining room (has to do with the way the house is designed, I suppose), but I won't be living here forever! I'm a college professor and I never take papers to class anymore - all my notes are on my laptop, as well as my class records, examples I may need, charts & diagrams, and I make running notes here so I don't forget where I am when the next class begins. Imagine how useful it will be for uploading my portfolio (I'm planning on turning this into a business when I retire) for presentations. Besides that, when I'm on CC, I have a cake decorating journal of my own (in Word) that I open at the same time, so I can jot down any websites that come up, tips that I know I'll never remember how to access later and cake photos (not from CC, because this site allows you to save your favorites) that inspire my own designs. By all means, beg, borrow or steal one (preferably a laptop) ASAP - and make sure the wireless thingummy reaches all parts of your house.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 21

laptop girl here!... icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 21

Laptop is def the way to go. I take mine everywhere.

My DH calls me "Laptop". icon_lol.gif

It is hard for me to go away over night with out it. I get the DT's. icon_cry.gif

My DH knows not to touch my laptop. icon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:22pm
post #16 of 21

I but a eally nice one a few weeks ago off QVC!!! I got it for a steal!! LOVE IT!!! I live close to town so I must be in a WIFI area because I am picking up their signal!!!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 21

I have a desktop now it is right off the kitchen but as soon as I get my tax refund off to best buy I go, and Indy didn't we just have a thread about going to the bathroom and doing other things???? No I really can't wait to get mine!!!! LOL!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:34pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Wireless laptop all the way. When you're on CC too long and your bladder just WON'T hold out any longer, it's fun not to miss a thing as you take your laptop to the bathroom with you! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks Debi...now everytime you post I'm going to think, "Wonder if she's using the facilities?" icon_razz.gif

BTW, Lap tops rock. Best christmas gift I've ever gotten.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:45pm
post #19 of 21

Just want to say how much I miss GREAT conversations like this one!

LAB TOP ALL THE WAYicon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Still in School
Donnajf thumbs_up.gif

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:45pm
post #20 of 21

icon_biggrin.gif HaHA indydebi- you ARE a hoot!
My laptop is docked at my kitchen desk- but I take it with me in the great room while I watch TV so I can keep up....
I have lots of recipes on here- but I still like my old cookbooks, too

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:02am
post #21 of 21

wireless router for the house and a mini dell9 laptop in the kitchen...fits perfect on the island or shelf or top of microwave etc....there are times we have three laptops going on the kitchen table at one time...i agree with a previous texter, what did we do without them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%