Buttercream Recipe/ Can I Do Half Shortening And Half Butter

Decorating By cakesbysweetness Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 3:49am by freddyfl

cakesbysweetness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbysweetness Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 8

Can I do half and half of each instead of all shortening. Just curious because normally when I do the recipe it calls for all shortening and it tastes to much like it to me....suggestions? I have tried other recipes but I havent had much luck!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 8

Certainlyicon_smile.gif It will give you a nice, easy to use & good tasting icing.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 8

Yes..it has a stronger consistency too..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 8

I do half and half all the time. Just use half butter and half shortening, it gives a much better flavor.

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 8

I also do the half and half all the time. Definitely a better flavor, and everyone that has tasted my buttercream loves it. I do add a pinch of salt to mine and that cuts the sweet taste a little. Better to handle if you are like me and can't take too much sweetness in one mouthfull.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecakes galore

I also do the half and half all the time. Definitely a better flavor, and everyone that has tasted my buttercream loves it. I do add a pinch of salt to mine and that cuts the sweet taste a little. Better to handle if you are like me and can't take too much sweetness in one mouthfull.

This is exactly what I do.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #7 of 8

I do a 2 to 1 ratio, more butter than shortening (lol-love butter icon_biggrin.gif ). I also use salted butter, helps to cut the sweetness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCbN2I4xI&feature=channel_page

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:49am
post #8 of 8

I use 3 sticks sweet cream butter, to one stick crisco for 2 lbs of powdered sugar....deelish!

For FBCT though I don't use any crico...it doesn't transfer as well, so for those I use straight butter. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%