Edible Printer - Which One To Buy?

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm by eldag0615

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:40am
post #1 of 12

Hi, all ~

I am looking to buy an edible printer but know nothing about them. Can you help?

Julie

11 replies
jdelectables Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 12

anyone? Please?

carebare27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carebare27 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:02am
post #3 of 12

from what i know you can buy the paper and the ink a but you have to make sure that the ink is compatable with your printer http://www.tastyfotoart.com/Machine.html try this link , it might help ya !!

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 12

Hi, I got mine at office max. A friend of mine got hers at Kopykake.com She got the printer, (scanner, printer,copier), 2 packs of edible "paper", (24 each), I think 2 sets of edible ink , one 9"x28' promotional window banner and 6 promotional buttons to place in your business announcing that you can make edible images, everything for $499.00
They also have the compatible edible ink cartridges for some Canon and Epson printers, so I got an Epson Stylus CX8400 (scanner, copier, printer)@ Office Max for around $70.00 plus insurance, then I got the compatible cartridges from Kopykake, they are expensive at first, $72.00 /set, but then you can buy the refillable ink and it sells for $39.00/set, (that is the one for my model), and with that you can refill the original cartridges up to 4 times, and then I got the edible paper from Sams. 24 pack for $28.00, same kopykake brand, same price but without the shipping. It works great! The only problem I have had is that yesterday I had to print 2 pics. and in the message box it said that it didn't recognize the cartridges because they were not Epson, so I took them out and put them again and worked as nothing. You can see some of the ones I have made in my pics. I have printed up to today 22 images and it still has more than half the ink. I read somewhere on the site that you can print up to 80 pics. depending of course if the pic. has too much color or not.
WARNING: Just make super sure before you buy anything that the printer you are buying is compatible with the ink they have, they have a list on kopykake stating all the models, etc. To be double sure, I talked to a representative by phone before I bought anything.
Sorry for writing so much but I hope this helps, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to pm me .

eldag0615 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 12

I forgot, my printer looks the same as my friends, the only difference is that her has a metal sticker on one side that says : Kopykake. Hers is Epson too.
Another thing, I checked the web site on the other link here and it says that their paper does not have a plastic on the back that you have too peel off. When I print my images, I place them in the fridge for about 5 minutes before I peel them off the plastic and it goes great, the other ones without the plastic on the back I have just tried one before, they are nice but the texture of the paper is and has a "rough" look. Now, I don't know if the same one as the one on the link, they sell them at the bakery supply store near me, they are cheaper but I like the kopykake ones better. MHO.

jdelectables Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 12

thank you!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 12

I also have an epson and I love it. It has never clogged on me (unlike the horror stories I have read about the canons) and it sits for months at a time without being used. I bought new, refilable, cartridges on ebay so I just buy the refill kit from kopykake. With the refilable cartridges I don't have to mess with the chip resetter and I can refill them without taking them out of the printer.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 12

EldaG: I got the edible paper from Sams. 24 pack for $28.00, same kopykake brand, same

Could you please tell me where at Sam's they have this paper???

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 12

I puchased an Epson Stylus 88 from Staples. I too talked with KopyKake to find out which printer to use and they recommended this one. I bought my supplies from KopyKake and the ink refills. They have a chip resetter when you refill the ink yourself in case your printer gives you an error message about the refill or if it doesn't recognize that there is a full tank of ink. Sugarcraft also has the edible pages that are KopyKake's brand. I have ordered them there when I was ordering other items. Right now I am having troubles with my printer. I think it has a small piece of the edible paper stuck on the roller feed somewhere and I can't find it. Got to get it fixed.

eldag0615 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 12

MBHazel, yes, they have it at the bakery. Out of curiosity I asked the lady in charge of the bakery, the other ones never know anything, and she said : Yes, we have them and can sell them to you, I also have bought there some AmeriColor , soft gel paste - food color, 13.5 oz. for about $8.95, this was like 2 years ago, the paper was like 2 months ago, and also buy there the boxes, the ones for 1/2 sheet cakes and also the inserts for cupcakes that fit in that same box, its for 30 cupcakes. I used to buy there also the liquid or the ready to use Bettercream, but it has another name, don't remember now, if you need I can look for it, now, I buy it somewhere else cheaper. I didn't know they even sell cases of frozen cakes! Those, I have never bought. They have boxes of 8 or 10 each, 10" round cakes and also 1/4 sheets and 1/2 sheets. One of the times I went, another lady told me she could not sell it to me,when I told her the head baker has sold them to me before she just got me what I needed. Oh, and they sell you also the gumpaste already made! Those bouquets with different kinds of flowers, the box has 4 of them and is around $15.00 My DH took the camera with him today so I can not post a pic. of it right now, but if you want to, I can do it tonight. Just let me know. Hope this helps.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 12

WOW!! Thanks for the info. I had no idea that was going on at SAM'S. I will be checking it out tomorrow!!!

Thanks again,

Hazel

eldag0615 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 12

Tigy2: do you have the sellers name or how do you find them on ebay? What do you mean by refillable cartridges? I know what they are, but do they sell clean, never used ref. cartr. for edible ink? How much are they?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%