I Can't Get The Smell Out!!!

Lounge By Carolynlovescake Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 3:47am by dldbrou

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:10am
post #1 of 17

My mom made a fleece blanket (double sided) blanket for my son.

I noticed today that it has a urine smell to it and it was freshly washed and dried.

Anyone have ideas on what I can put in the washer water with it to get the smell out?

16 replies
manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 17

I would try washing it in OxyClean (the powder additive) I add it to every load of towels and bed sheets for a nice really clean smell. Good luck.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 17

Ammonia maybe. I know ammonia gets under arm odor out of clothing better than anything and doesn't mess up the color.

Aren't most blankets double sided? icon_biggrin.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Shoosh!

I meant to say she made it with multiple layers of fleece sewn together.

She thinks we freeze to death in the winter and made all of our blankets extra thick. These are not your standard home made fleece blankets. The baby (20 months) will go to grab one of ours to cuddle in and makes the straining sound like she's lugging around a car. icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Shoosh!

I meant to say she made it with multiple layers of fleece sewn together.

She thinks we freeze to death in the winter and made all of our blankets extra thick. These are not your standard home made fleece blankets. The baby (20 months) will go to grab one of ours to cuddle in and makes the straining sound like she's lugging around a car. icon_lol.gif

I couldn't resist! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That's sweet of her huh.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 17

I use vinegar in the wash to remove any odors. Just a cup or so in the washer has taken out all smells I can think of....and leaves no vinegar smell. Good luck.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 17

I use OdoBan --- get it at sam's club.

it will kill most any body odor.

---

another option..

baking soda--full box or two in the water.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 17

I would spray it with Resolve or some other cleaner made specifically for pet stains. They usually do really well at removing urine odors. Please don't ask me how I know.

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:07am
post #9 of 17

Well, you could try hair conditioner. That's what they use at my brother's laundrymat to get the smell of cat urine out of blankets.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:20am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara

I use vinegar in the wash to remove any odors. Just a cup or so in the washer has taken out all smells I can think of....and leaves no vinegar smell. Good luck.

I second that! Vinegar takes out all odors...even those "Oh crap, I washed a load of towels 3 days ago and left them in the washer" smell. icon_smile.gif

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Ohara wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Cakepro wrote:
I second that! Vinegar takes out all odors...even those "Oh crap, I washed a load of towels 3 days ago and left them in the washer" smell.

Oh, soooo good to know!!! I just did that with a load of laundry and was wondering what to do! icon_redface.gif

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 17

I'll third the vinegar. I bought a house, ripped up all the carpets and it still smelled like the dogs had peed in the house. Scrubbed my floors with vinegar (concrete floors) and my house doesn't smell now! My mom uses it whenever the one cat has an accident and it works great for her too.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 17

Yep, vinegar is awesome! We have a lot of fleece blankets here. I don't know if it's just the kind of fleece it is, but certain ones seem to always smell funny coming out of the dryer. It's like it reacts badly to whatever detergent or softener I use.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:32pm
post #14 of 17

I was also going to say vinegar, good luck! Everyone check out this website, it has great recipes, cleaningtips,laundry tips, and so much more.. I love it.

http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:59am
post #15 of 17

I've used baking soda sprinkled in the wash and that has really helped with strong odors in the clothes.

KathyB101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyB101 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

My mom made a fleece blanket (double sided) blanket for my son.

I noticed today that it has a urine smell to it and it was freshly washed and dried.

Anyone have ideas on what I can put in the washer water with it to get the smell out?

Hello, I think I have a cure for you!! A lady I worked with told me about this product.."Natures Miracle. This product can be found at your local Vets Office (where you take your Pet for checkups) or a Hardware Store, Walmart. When I bought this product I just could not believe it, it is a Miracle for me. We had a problem with box training our kitten, she went everywhere!! We also had a Skunk Urine problem all over the Tires on the Car, it was so strong. Nothing we tried worked. When you use this product you can dilute it with water or use full strength. Follow the directions on the bottle though, it works outside as a repellant. I forgot to say maybe you can search for Natures Miracle on line to see where you can shop, I haven't purchased a bottle lately. I hope this gives you great results..Kathy

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #17 of 17

Kathy, I use to work at a Pet Store and believe me that Natures Miracle is the best product for getting smells out. My boss told me that he had shrimp in a ice chest that leaked all over the carpet in his car. He used Natures Miracle and the smell vanished. Now I don't know if you have ever smelled shrimp juice, but on top of the bad smell, it was hot that day, so the smell was extreme.

I would try the vinegar first because of the cost and then Natures Miracle. Just don't dry it in your dryer until you rid it of the smell. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%