Ignorance

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm by miss_sweetstory

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 16

Forgive my ignorance. I've been hanging out on the boards here since I started decorating in March. I've seen and heard mention of Tylose several times but I have NO IDEA what it is, how it affects fondant and/or gum paste, and I have never seen it in the stores I frequent for cake supplies.

Can someone please explain why I'd want to have this on hand and where it can be found?

Thanks!

15 replies
something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 16

I don't know either, and I have been decorating for about a year. I hope someone else knows! icon_biggrin.gif

Where are you in PA?

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 16

Tylose / Tylo powder are trade names for CarboxyMethyle Cellulose (also called CMC). As a food additive it acts as a thickener. Added to fondant it creates modeling paste, which will dry and keep its shape (great for figures). It is a different thickening/hardening agent than the one in gum paste; it is a little slower to dry so allows for more manipulation.

Most stores that specialize in cake decorating supplies will carry it under one of the names above. It can also be mailed ordered.

*edited to correct spelling error

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 16

I use Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe which uses tylose & absolutely LOVE it, wouldn't use anything else. I buy mine at my local cake supply store. You can find it online at countrykitchensa.com or globalsugarart.com

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 16

Miss_sweetstory, thank you for that info! I didn't know that, either--and it would have been helpful as I was sculpting a ballerina last weekend with 50/50 MMF and GP--she developed a crack from her eye to her mouth while she was drying! Now I'll know for next time!

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 16

i have a question for anyone that might know. i have tylose powder,but forgot to put it into my fondant last night before making a bow that i need for saturday. im letting it dry right now,but im wondering if the bow will hold the shape of its loops by itself by saturday? now im worried,cant believe i forgot the tylose, i didnt remember until i saw this post! icon_cry.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BREN28

i have a question for anyone that might know. i have tylose powder,but forgot to put it into my fondant last night before making a bow that i need for saturday. im letting it dry right now,but im wondering if the bow will hold the shape of its loops by itself by saturday? now im worried,cant believe i forgot the tylose, i didnt remember until i saw this post! icon_cry.gif

It should be just fine. Fondant just takes a little longer to dry without it. No worries, just keep the shapers in while drying.

Best,
Karen

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 16

Tylose is in some gumpaste.. it's just one of the many possible ingredients you could use. I prefer it over gum tragacanth because it keeps the gumpaste bright white as opposed to greying it up (and it smells better too). Gumpaste made with tylose actually dries quicker than the same recipe made with gum trag in my experience. Arabic gum is another option though I haven't used it. Tylose is also cheaper than the alternatives I mentioned.

If you add it to your fondant do so little at a time. As you knead it it will activate and the consistency will change. You don't want to put too much or you will not have the extra play time you need when you are making figures.

When it comes to bows I prefer straight gumpaste. Fondant bows get floppy on you if it's humid or warm.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 16

thanks Eisskween,thats what im hoping for! jkalman,thats what i was worried about,living in texas, its usually hot and humid,i'll do a lot of praying that its not to hot and humid on saturday! thanks!

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks all! I have also been wondering how to get my bows to not droop. Made a plam tree cake last weekend and was very frustrated with the palms. They just wouldn't dry and they ended up just drooping down. I love CC you all are so helpfull icon_smile.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 16

So is Tylose how some of you are able to make a fondant/gum paste figure and have it standing and not bend and twist and fall over?

Is it strong enough for that?

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 16

Tylose is awesome! It keeps you from having to make gumpaste, and then deal with dying it the same color as the fondant or whatever you are using.
Just knead some in. It's what I use for my bows and numbers!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 16

Do we just add some of the powder tylose to the fondant? If so, how much.........if anyone knows. thanks

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 16

I do a lot of figures and use probably a little more gumpaste to fondant than 50/50... maybe 60/50. I don't have a lot of issues with cracking or flopping. If your "dough feels dry, don't hesitate to knead in a little shortening. I have used Gum Arabic mixed into fondant as well. As directed by a previous poster, knead, knead, knead. This helps activate the chemistry between the two properties.

edited to add a note for shill:

Use spaghetti to form a "backbone" in your standing figures. It's keeps them from falling over. I use it in each of the legs and in the torso all the way through the neck. Example is in my gallery of a figure of my son doing his martial arts. It is a standing figure.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #15 of 16

I use tylose powder to make sugar glue. It's Aine2 recipe. Mix 1/4 tsp tylose powder with 2 TBSP warm water. Stir together. Store in small air tight container in fridge overnight. Will keep up to a week.

It's great for holding figures together or attaching things to cake.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Do we just add some of the powder tylose to the fondant? If so, how much.........if anyone knows. thanks

To make your own modeling paste: knead in about one quarter teaspoon of CMC (Tylo) per 100 grams of fondant. It can be used immediately, but I like to wrap it and let it sit overnight. When you are ready to use it just knead until it is nice and pliable. This modeling paste won't dry as quickly or as hard as gum paste, giving you ample time to make adjustments. (My Wallace and Gromit figures were made this way.)

It's great, it can also be used to make edible glue as mentioned above (mix 30 parts water to 1 part CMC.) It will look cloudy at first, but will clear overnight as all the CMC particles dissolve.

Oh, another trade name that I missed in my earlier post is Cellogen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%