Cake Too Dry

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm by kakeladi

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, i got asked to make 2 10 inch cakes covered in fondant for a retirement in work, one for each floor. i made a lemon madeira and a chocolate but the lemon one still seemed raw in the middle so I left it in an extra 10 minutes until the knife came out clean and now i think its a bit dry round the edges. it tastes lovely and will be coated and sandwiched with lemon bc and lemon curd but is there anything that would make this less dry? is it too late for sugar syrup or could i drizzle lemon juice onto the sponge? its in the freezer at the minute as that sometimes makes cakes have a more moist texture.

Any ideas?? thanks !

6 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 7

I believe a simple syrup can be applied at any time. A nice lemon-infused syrup may be just the thing your cake needs. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:45am
post #3 of 7

Yah, what she ^^^^^ said.

SweetHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeather Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 7

I agree, as I syrup all my cakes...dry or not!!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 7

I've also found that when you ice it, the bc softens the "dry" edges of the cake. I think using the syrup as a caution, then icing with bc will make it come out just fine. Good luck!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, ive never used simple syrup before, how do i make it (a lemon flavoured one) and how much should i put on a 10 inch sponge? do i just drizzle it over the top??

Thanks

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 7

Simple syrup is equal amounts of sugar and water; boil at least 1 minute, and cool well. Any flavoring can be added when it is cool. Best way to apply it is w/a misting sprayer. If not brush it on w/a pastry brush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%