How To Make Silver/gold Dragees?

Decorating By vita752001 Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 7:44pm by ellavanilla

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:29am
post #1 of 5

Please help. I understand that Silver/Gold Dragees are illegal in California. I believe I can make my own dragees with FDA approved Silver/Gold dust, but I'm not sure how???? Can I use edible white pearls with a matte finish (not pearlized) and paint them with gold/silver dust?
Thank you.

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrancoisAdele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrancoisAdele Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 5

I can help you on that with equipment and process

please contact me at [email protected]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 5

The links in this post are not working :(

Just noticed this is a very old post but since I have already typed out the instructions I'll post it anyway in case there are people out the wanting to try their hand at making them.

They should be rather easy to make but very time consuming.

You roll out fondant so it is all the same thickness - about 1/8" to 1/4".  The thicker it is rolled the bigger the final ball.  Now use a tip (any size from 1 to 12) to cut out rounds - which size tip depends on what size dragee you want.

Then roll those cutouts into a ball in your hand and put on a pad of paper towels (at least 6 or 8 towels stacked, then folded at least in 1/2)  or thin foam to dry at least overnight.

Now put them into a small cup w/a lid and add your silver or gold dust and shake well.  Again, let them dry on the pad or foam for a couple more hours.

Wallah! you're done :)

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 5

i just called my mother, who lives in IN, and asked her to send me some... bonus, she went crazy in the cake supply store and sent me a ton of different supplies. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%