Petit Fours

Decorating By annez Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm by Bijoudelanuit

annez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annez Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 11

I've searched for the threads here re: petit fours, and it seems like everybody agrees they're a pain or plain won't do them...

For those of you who do do them, any tips/hints/suggestions?

10 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:42am
post #2 of 11

I had a go at these and found them to be a total PITA. The words messy and tricky come to mind!

I used a fellow CCers method Lisa, she has a tutorial on them somewhere which was very helpful.

I think the ones that look best are the fondant covered ones or the ones that have been painsteakingly covered in perfect buttercream. So if you are prepared to put some really hard work into these then try it!

I used glace icing which ment I just had to pour the icing over each one, still a pain and a messy job.

You can try poured fondant on them too.

Best of Luck

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:58am
post #3 of 11

One name....Kathy Scott. I have used her petit for molds and they come out sooooo pretty. No mess....but they use chocolate instead of poured fondant. Here is a link to a picture...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1219001

I used to hate petit fors too, but I tried these and they are the best. This picture is not mine, but it's a sample of the molds..

Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:14am
post #4 of 11

Where can you purchase her molds?

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 11

I googled her and this is her webpage...

http://www.sweetexpress.net/

clicking the link at the bottom left column, silicone molds takes you to an Ebay store with many of her molds for sale. HTH.

annez Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for your replies & help!

I'm not sure if I have the guts or not yet. icon_wink.gif

I'll post pics if I do!

elipsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elipsis Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 11

I was on youtube and four a nice lil tutorial for petit fours....here you go
hth

annez Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 11

wow, thanks!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 11

Ok...call me nuts, but I like doing petit fours! I did my first 10 dozen this December. I followed Lisa's instructions and it wasn't bad at all. http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/01/lisas-easy-petits-fours.html. Not sure if this link will work. Let me know. Deb

annez Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 11

The link didn't take me directly there, but I was able to find it on her site- thanks!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 11

I make mine similar to the youtube video above, but I bake mine in thinner layers so that they can be layered with preserves, buttercream and marzipan before cutting them. After layering and filling them they need to be under a weighted sheet tray overnight before cutting them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%