3-D Football

Decorating By beth2027 Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 5:08am by cakesmade4u

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 5

I am making a birthday cake for my boss. I want to do a 3-D football. I have the wilton football pan, but it's just one side. Do I make 2 and put them together? Should I use a pound cake, or will regular cake work (I use a doctored cake mix)?
I am not sure how to go about this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

4 replies
DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:01am
post #2 of 5

If it were me I would use two doll pan cakes (either the small or large for whatever effect you are going for). After trimming the tops off evenly, attach them together with buttercream, slice off some of the bottom for a flat surface and then dowel them together from tip to tip for more adhesion. HTH

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:58am
post #3 of 5

I USED THE WILTON FOOTBALL PAN FOR A CAKE FOR MY NEPHEW AND I USED A DOCTERED MIX TO MAKE IT A LITTLE THICKER. AND YES I MADE 2 CAKES ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER IN BETWEEN I USED THE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM AS WELL AS TO COVER THE CAKE. THEN FOUND A NICE TIP HERE AT CC TO USE THE INSIDE OF A PAPER TOWEL TO TEXTURE THE CAKE LIKE A FOOTBALL WOULD LOOK . THEN ADDED FONDANT FOR THE LACES. I THINK IT CAKE OUT GOOD I ALSO PUT ON A 9" CAKE WHICH WAS WAY TO MUCH CAKE BUT IT WAS DECORATED AS A FIELD.. YOU CAN LOOK IN MY PICTURES TO SEE THE FINAL CAKE... HOPE THIS HELPS icon_biggrin.gif

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:06am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the tips. I am thinking of putting it on a plain cake board and surrounding it with cupcakes (all with the Cowboys and University of TN since they are his favorite teams).
I loved the picture of you cake, cakesmade4u.
Keep the tips/ideas coming. I want as many as I can get before I make the cake. icon_razz.gif

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #5 of 5

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%