My Ugly Cake..

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm by Twopeasinapod

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 38

I just finished a Pac-Man cake for a customer. I will be delivering it tomorrow but it is soooo ugly. So, not my style of cakes. It is a sheet cake and they wanted it to be all light blue with the Pac-Man screen to have "walls" of orange. The screen of this game is usually dark blue or black. They did not want any dark colors. Ughhh, I am dredding delivering this ugly cake. BUT, it is what the customer wanted. Think I will drop the cake off and run.. run far away! icon_redface.gif I just hope they are pleased with it. They were very picky about all the details!

37 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 38

yea...see you can't post that and not post a pic!!!

I have done a cake before that I thought was so UGLY!! But, its what my friend wanted for her wedding....red and orange! for a wedding - in APRIL! anyway - she loved it! I contemplated dropping it on the way in, but I figured an ugly cake was better than no cake.

good luck tomorrow and I really do want to see a pic!

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 38

I feel horrible looking at it this morning! icon_cry.gif I have never felt nervous about delivering any of my cakes but this one is horrible!! They did not want black for the screen or even chocolate cake. Hopefully the taste will make up for it. I used a WASC but substituted the almond with vanilla since it is a kids party.

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 38

Here are one of the pictures they sent me. He wanted the blue with orange walls. They actually wanted the ruffles around the sides and I told them that would def not look good. So they changed their minds on that! They did not want the huge Pac Man in the middle just on the screen somewhere.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 38

I think it's adorable! My kids would LOVE to get this cake! I think you did a fantastic job and I know they will be pleased to get the cake!

I've done a couple of cakes that I just KNEW the client would absolutely hate and then they almost cried because they loved it so much when they picked it up....go figure!!

I think it looks great!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 38

I was preparing to cringe after yur description, but when I saw the photo, I thought, "she's nuts!"

Your cake is adorable! The colors are great, the lettering is great, the dots and figures are so neat! I love a neat cake.

P.S. I'm glad you didn't put the GIANT pacman!

really...I don't pacify people...this is a great cake!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 38

it looks to me like you gave them exactly what they wanted. Im sure taking that into consideration that they will love it. I know you arent jazzed about the cake but it looks great to me. Im with you on the color scheme but it is beautifully done. You should be proud of the fact that you were sensitive to their needs and put aside your own desire to give them what they wanted. Hold you head up high when you deliver. I think you did great.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 38

It looks like it is exactly what they were looking for, yours is BETTER than the inspiration picture.

You did a great job, no worries they are going to be very happy.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 38

I think this cake is adorable and you did a great job. Would it be my choice for me? No, but it is obviously for a Pac-Man fan and they are going to love it!!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 38

I say this in the most loving way. Yes the colors are blinding but if its what they wanted that is what they get. It really isnt that bad. I mean I wouldnt put it in my porforlio but I wouldnt be ashamed of it. I hope they like it. Good luck.

karema

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 38

My 8 year old son just looked at it and said it's cool. That's high praise from him... so rest assured it's very kid friendly!!!

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 38

You guys are too sweet!! Seriously, you have made me feel much better. My kids 5 & 8 just looked at it and said it was awesome! This is def NOT going on my website or portfolio. LOL

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:38pm
post #13 of 38

The cake is great! Far better than what I was expecting from yesterday's post.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:42pm
post #14 of 38

My 13 year old wants it for his next birthday!! Definitely not an ugly cake - good job!! thumbs_up.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #15 of 38

I recently had two coworkers request cakes for their daughters' joint birthday party. They wanted the cakes to look like their cell phones. When I explained the whole issue with black frosting, one allowed me to make a purse cake (in my gallery). The other insisted that I make a white cell phone with blue accents. I tried talking her out of it, and I hated the end results.

After the party I received an email from the mother that had the purse cake made. She said the kids LOVED it. She went on and on about how cool it was. She also mentioned that the cell phone cake was a hit.

I still hate that cell phone cake, but it was what the customer wanted.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:56pm
post #16 of 38

It's what the customer wanted and I think it looks great.

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #17 of 38

It's really hard for us to do what they think would look great versus what we envision! Most of my customers usually just say you do what you think would look good. They give me the general colors and theme then I go with it. I know that black icing would have been too much but it would have looked better. If only they would have wanted chocolate! Oh well, delivery is in one hour!!! icon_cry.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #18 of 38

Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure the customer will love it...I know my kids would!!!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 38

you're cakes are gorgeous and that's what they're getting...we've all been through those moments where we don't like what a customer chose and if it were up to us it would turn out so much better (buat customers like what they like they aren't us) good job and i'd post it on your site icon_smile.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 38

At the risk of being redundant, I think it looks great. You have to look at it from the child's perspective...COOL!

Lisa

janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm
post #21 of 38

OK - I just got up and was so excited to see that you did post pics - I think it looks great! I know they will love it!

It is EXACTLY what they asked for and I agree - yours is WAY BETTER than the inspiration cake!

let us know what they say - don't be nervous about dropping off that cake!!!!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #22 of 38

it looks fine to me. better than the pic they sent to you. the cake looks fine. i love how the top is so smooth.

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #23 of 38

Well, I just delivered it and was so sick to my stomach! The guy was outside with the gifts and they were all light blue which matches the cake. He said it looked great!!! I was soooo relieved. NOW, if they email me later.. we will see! Maybe he was just being nice! LOL

Everyone is so nice on CC! You guys are very encouraging. Thanks for the kind words!! icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #24 of 38

Told ya they would love it!!

It really did look good!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #25 of 38

When you described it, I thought, "Oh, boy. What kind of mess are we going to see here?" Then I saw the pic, and I think it's adorable! And trust me, if I thought it was ugly I just wouldn't have posted anything.

It's very well executed. You can tell what it's supposed to be, it's neat and tidy, and most importantly it's what they wanted. I honestly think it's a lot better than the picture they gave you.

I think you SHOULD post it in your portfolio because it shows how versatile you can be. If it was a sloppy mess, then no, but this is a really well done cake.

I'm really glad they liked it. You must be so relieved. I don't think it's too early for a nice glass of wine, is it? : )

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #26 of 38

I thikn it is cute as heck! Kids don't have any sense of color coordinating anyways!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm
post #27 of 38

Your cake is not ugly! It looks totally fine to me and it is very well done.

But I do understand what you mean about the customer wanting colors that were not "right". I always use Google images to find an actual picture when I have to make something (school project for my daughter, cake, etc.) because I want it to be, well, right.

But, in this case most people probably wouldn't automatically think that the screen should be black, the colors are wrong, etc.-- they would just think Pac-Man. I did. icon_biggrin.gif

My nephew wants a Star Wars cake, and he wants the volcano planet with plastic men on it. Well even I know that these particular characters did not actually fight on the volcano planet in the movie, but I am not going to argue with a 7 year old. Any Star Wars fanatics at the party who are offended will have to take it up with him!

You know what they say, the customer is always right!

VanGough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanGough Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #28 of 38

Your cake is great! I've made some cakes where I wondered what the heck the customer was thinking, but if you do your best and the customer is happy then that's all that matters! Great job!!!

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Quote:

I'm really glad they liked it. You must be so relieved. I don't think it's too early for a nice glass of wine, is it? : )

Oh girl.. you have no idea!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif Did I mention that the guy gave me a $5 tip as well. I guess we as cake decorators strive for perfection and this was not perfection in my eyes. BUT it is what they wanted and as long as they were happy then I am happy! thumbs_up.gif

janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:03pm
post #30 of 38

girl! If I wasn't working a cake for delivery in the AM - I would be having a drink FOR YOU!! I hate that feeling of dread when you drop off a cake! You just never know what people are expecting and if you met or exceeded that!

I'm always such a witch (B) on the drive to drop off a cake and then as soon as I'm back in the car I'm on cloud nine!! I know you must just feel so much better!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%