Gold Bow Suggestions?

Decorating By KonfectionKonnection Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 6:48am by tonedna

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 15

I need suggestions on how to best make a gold fondant/gp bow for a cake topper. My SIL has asked me to do the cake for her church, to celebrate their pastor's 20th anniversary there. The only requests she had were to include a bow on top, and that the colors on the church stationary are royal blue and gold.

I thought a stacked cake, using royal blue, white and gold would look elegant. I've made bows before--but I've not experimented w/ the gold colors. I know you can get gold luster dust, mix w/ vodka, and paint. But for Christmas, my DH bought me an airbrush which I am anxious to use.

What is the best way to get a gold bow? Hand paint or airbrush? What products work best for a really pretty metallic gold--for the bow and/or to hand paint acdents? (My SIL was kind enough to give me plenty of notice, so I have time, I just don't feel I have the money to experiment w/ very many products, as I'm doing the cake for cost.) TIA!

14 replies
KonfectionKonnection Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #2 of 15

No thoughts? I'm worried that handpainting the bow might make it look streaky, but I'm unsure if there is a way to airbrush gold for a smoother look? Is there a particular luster dust that is better? Any thoughts would be appreciated . . . .

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 15

This may or may not help... I recently tried to make gold coins by using luster dust and vodka. I will say that originally it was streaky, but I kept adding more and almost "blobbing" it on, rather than "stroking" it on. Regardless, I didn't like the way they came out, not so much because of the color, just because of my design and I started with white GP/fondant. I did make "gold" stars and started with golden yellow GP/fondant mixture and then painted with luster dust. I liked the coloring much better, but I really didn't consider them really "shiny" gold.

I don't have an airbrush, so that might be the faster way to go.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 15

For a great gold color. I would airbrush. There wont be any streaks. I just got my air brush love it.. the spray goes on so much nicer.I should have had it long ago.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 15

Using the airbrush for the gold bow is a good thought.
You have to get just the right mixture for it to pass thru the needle.....
not exactly easy - especially for one who just got an ab.
I think it might be best to use a combination - ab it on, then dry brush more dust over that. I think you will like the results better.

Be *extra sure* you don't let the gold color dry in the brush! Just as soon as you are finished clean it.....which mean taking it apart and getting ALL that gold out of it & off the needle. *Very important!!!*

KonfectionKonnection Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you so much for your suggestions--they are ALL helpful!

So, I should start w/ yellow fondant. Then to paint--mix it a little thick? If it's thin, that is what makes it streak more?

Sounds like the airbrush might be too big a step just yet. I doubt I'm familiar enough w/ it to take it apart and clean it adequately. If I were to try it, would I make the mix (only thinner than above) or do they make something special particularly for airbrushes? (I have the basic color set for airbrushes, but as far as metallic or pearl colors?)

I'm a little nervous about this, but I try to make myself try something new with each cake--and I really want this to turn out nice since it's for a large group (and to make my SIL proud). Thanks again for your suggestions!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 15

If you have the time... you might want to experiment a bit... just make a small amount of "golden" yellow, let it dry, paint it and see what you think... that way if you don't like it, you can try something else, before you spend all the time making all the loops, etc. Just a thought....

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 15

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=3276

This is what I use...straight out' tha' bottle. icon_smile.gif

klewisdas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klewisdas Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 15

you could use gold leaf. i think it could look very elegant. and you can eat it with no worries. for more info check out this site.
http://dahlias-day.blogspot.com/2006/11/gold-leaf-for-wedding-cakes.html

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:06am
post #10 of 15

I don't bother with luster dust and vodka, it gets too blotchy. I say go Airbrush - Luck's and Americolor both make a sparkly gold that turn out amazing. Also easy to clean with water and some airbrush cleaner.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:17am
post #11 of 15

lemon extract is much better than vodka...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

BethHansen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethHansen Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #12 of 15

When I have done gold in the past (see the topper on the anniversary cake in my photos), I colored my fondant to a dark golden yellow and then used luster dust and vodka to paint several coats over it. The first coat is streaky, but just let it dry well and then paint another coat or two over it. Just make sure you paint quickly in one direction on subsequent coats or the first coat will soften and you will continue to get streaks.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #13 of 15

Thank you all again for your comments and suggestions. I'm feeling much better about getting a few supplies and making some practice loops to paint/airbush. (I'm so glad she gave me the time to practice a little first!) I'll check for the luster dust and the airbrush color--maybe I'll get really brave and paint some piped accents and airbrush the bow. icon_rolleyes.gif

Your help and kindness mean more than you know!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:42am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

lemon extract is much better than vodka...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Would you say that just for gold colours since it's yellow or for doing all colours? I know when I used lemon extract to tint cream of wheat for stamens, it smelled sooo good too! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:48am
post #15 of 15

It works great with all.. some people use it even for the airbrush..It does smell great...
Edna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%