Isomalt Help Needed

Sugar Work By costumeczar Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 1:45pm by JohnBaker

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 9

For anyone who's experienced with using isomalt, I have a couple of questions.

First, how long can you usually work with it after it's been heated up? I noticed that it seemed to take longer to cool off than regular sugar, so is there a general rule about how long it will be pourable once it gets up to temperature? Can you leave it on a low burner or something to keep it liquid?

Related to this is the other question, which is how hot should you get it if you're reheating it after it does cool off? Do you need to bring it back to 340 degrees? Or just heat it up enough to make it pourable again?

I did some jewels yesterday, and the first batch was fine, nice and clear. Then I reheated the cooled-off leftovers and it turned yellow, so I obviously got it too hot. I was wondering if I could just keep it over a low heat to keep it from cooling off, or if that would get it too hot anyway.

8 replies
Imapirate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Imapirate Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 9

You can keep working with isomalt until it gives up. There is no real time period as long as you are being gentle with it. You can leave it on a low burner or you can microwave it to keep it workable. When reheating cooled isomalt use a lower heat and it won't turn yellow on you. If you have a heat lamp then I would just stick it under that and let the heat lamp warm it up for you.

Imapirate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Imapirate Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 9

And there is no need to bring cooled isomalt back up to 340 degrees. Just heat it until it is the consistency that you would like.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 9

Where do you all purchase your isomalt from? What's considered a good price and at what price would one be getting ripped off?

JohnBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnBaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 9

You can find it on Amazon, but it is a bit pricy. Chefrubber has it as well.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 9

Has anyone tried the venuance pearls in lieu of isomalt?

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:41am
post #8 of 9

Could have the isomalt in a double boiler and leave the water under it to keep it workable?

JohnBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnBaker Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 9

Yes you can keep on on a doubleboiler, or a low flame or even reheat it in a microwave if need be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%