Anyone Going To Mike's Class In Houston?

Decorating By Launa Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm by Launa

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 35

I just got an e-mail that Mike McCarey from Mike's Amazing Cakes is going to teach a modeling chocolate class in Houston. I'd LOVE to go, but it's $500, which for this stay-at-home mom of 6, is an AMAZING amount of money to spend on myself!!! But then I think, what a great opportunity!! I've never worked with modeling chocolate, and I can't even imagine being in the same room with Mike McCarey!!

DH doesn't know yet....I plan to show him the e-mail tonight. He loves Mike's cakes and loves to watch him on the Food Network challenges, so there's a real possibility that he'd say "yes" to me going!!

I'm praying that if I have the money by the registration deadline of Feb. 1, maybe that would be a sign that I should go. It's a 2-day event, and we live close enough that I wouldn't have to get a hotel.

So, after making a short story long, my question is - is this an extreme amount of money for a class? I've never gone to anything like this before. Is it worth it? Should I even consider going, or is it just too much????

Thanks for helping me sort out my thoughts!!

34 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 35

Oh WOW! I'd LOVE to go to the class. I know that there is NO way I could afford that tho...Maybe in the future!

Launa Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #3 of 35

OH MY, OH MY, I HAVE TO GIVE AN UPDATE!!!! YES, I AM SCREAMING!!!!! AND JUMPING AND CRYING!!

My DH said "Go sign up!" as soon as I told him it was being taught by Mike McCarey!!!

I can't believe it.....sorry.....I'm just so excited!!!!

Oh, and another cool thing, my mom called and said she was going to give me $250 as part of my late Christmas present......she had no idea about the class!! She's excited for me, too!!

Thanks for listening, everyone!!

Does anyone else get to go?? I'd love to meet some of you!!!

Launa

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #4 of 35

Where can I get the information? Date, address, etc. Thank you for sharing this.

Launa Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 35
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #6 of 35

HEY! Congratulations!!!!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 35

CONRATULATIONS!!!! I am excited for you! I would love to-but $500 is not in my budget.
On a side note I am taking one of Lorriane's classes in April! WHOOOHOOO!!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 35

I'm thinking really hard about it, but it comes right on the heels of the Capital Confectioners cake show along with the dinner gala, the day of demos, shopping the vendors, and the Nicholas Lodge classes I'm taking after the cake show, plus travel and hotel expenses to stay in Austin for several days.

If someone books a wedding cake in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to declare it a sign and take Mike's class. icon_smile.gif

dabear, you'll love Lorraine. I took her Bride & Groom class in Austin and she is a marvelous instructor.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:32am
post #9 of 35

That's so cool! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love him too. I would go to any class he teaches (= I'm way to far to go to this one, but hopefully one day he will be in my neck of the woods!

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:35am
post #10 of 35

that's great launa..i will love to att. a class given by mike.i think he is amazing good luck.

Launa Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:48am
post #11 of 35

Dabear - trust me, $500 isn't in my budget, either! I was so shocked when my mom called and said she was sending a check....she didn't even know about the class! God works in mysterious ways!!! I had no idea that I would EVER get to attend a class like this. We struggled to pay for the Wilton classes at Michael's, and that was WAY less than this class!

Sparklepopz - I hope you get a wedding cake so you can come to Mike's class! Where are you located? Is Austin further away for you than Houston?

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:03am
post #12 of 35

I live in Houston. icon_smile.gif

I'm super excited for ya! God definitely works in mysterious ways.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 35

God I wish I could go! I would absolutely LOVE to take a class with him! But $500 isn't in the budget and I am booked for that weekend so will spend the week baking & decorating...Congrats to anyone getting that amazing opportunity!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #14 of 35

Nice!!! Maybe he's working his way over to the east coast! PLease please please!

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:32am
post #15 of 35

I put down my deposit back in December. I can't hardly wait.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #16 of 35

I'm not going but I did just buy his DVD!! Woooo Hooooo! icon_lol.gif

YALANTZI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YALANTZI Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #17 of 35

That is so cool, you were meant to go to the class, I signed up a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe I am going, how exciting!!!!
bobwonderbuns- let us know how the DVD is ??

Are any of you guys Houston Cake Club members??

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:11am
post #18 of 35

Will do!! I'm really looking forward to it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:14am
post #19 of 35

I am a Houston cake club member, although they have me down under my husbands name!
I wish I could go to mikes class, but I am going to Anie2's class in April. There are a few classes coming up at the end of the month, I am going to the one on the 27th.
Rebecca

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:17am
post #20 of 35

I live in Houston, but am not a member. I wish the meetings were in Houston rather than Pasadena. I would love to be part of a cake club.

Launa Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #21 of 35

Our computer was attacked by a virus and I've been without CC all week!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Yalantzi and sisspence, which class are ya'll going to? I signed up for the Wed./Thurs. class. I kind of did that by accident, and I think my husband would have preferred that I go to the Friday/Sat. class. I wasn't paying attention when I registered!

YALANTZI Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:25pm
post #22 of 35

Luna- I am going to Friday/Saturday,
and I am attending Elizabeth class this monday and tuesday.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:00pm
post #23 of 35

What's he teaching in these classes?

YALANTZI Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:27pm
post #24 of 35

he is going to demostrate a 2d design and a we are making a 3d dinosaur.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #25 of 35

Cool! I bought his DVD this week and it should arrive sometime next week. icon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:15am
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1m

I live in Houston, but am not a member. I wish the meetings were in Houston rather than Pasadena. I would love to be part of a cake club.

Have you heard of Frost-a-Tiers? We meet at the Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugar Land on the 2nd Monday of each month from 10am to noon. icon_smile.gif

The next meeting will be on Monday, Feb. 12th.

www.frostatiers.com

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:20am
post #27 of 35

Well I ordered Mike's dvd on Friday and it arrived on Monday!! Wow! Who knew the post office had it in them?? icon_rolleyes.gif Anyway I went ahead and watched it today and I just LOVED it!! I must admit, after seeing all that goes into a car cake I'm less inclined to even want to try one at this point, BUT I did learn a few great tricks that I'm anxious to try. Mike is very personable and it was very entertaining to watch. I recommend it for anyone who is a fan of his work or who wants to get into sculpted cakes. I understand he wants to start shooting another DVD next month but the subject has yet to be determined. Way to go Mike!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Starr_Brite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starr_Brite Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:09am
post #28 of 35

There are pictures of the projects posted on the Houston Cake Club's website! I wish I was taking this! I wanna learn from Mike! I wanna make that little dinosaur (or dragon?) !!!! My nephew would LOVE it!!!

All of you who are going HAVE to come back here and tell us all about it!!!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #29 of 35

icon_cry.gif I just went to the website and both sessions are full icon_cry.gif

Launa Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:02am
post #30 of 35

Yalantzi - I got an e-mail asking me if I wanted to switch to the Fri./Sat. class, so I did. Someone in that class was needing to switch to the Wed./Thurs. class. So I guess we'll get to meet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%