Buttercream Roses

Decorating By MistyNV30 Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm by cupcakemkr

MistyNV30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyNV30 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 14

Hello everyone! I'm trying to make Buttercream Roses again. The first time I did these I no good luck. So I figured I would practice more since I have two cakes that need done at the end of the month. So I made two batched of icing one is Wiltons Snow-White Buttercream(Stiff Con.) and Wiltons regular Buttercream Icing (Med. Con.) Well after doing the roses and placing them on wax paper they are note holding there shape. Some of them looks like a blob. Note sure what we are doing wrong. If it's the icing or how I'm making them. My DH is also having trouble with them and he watched many how to viedos. Any ideas or help would be greatly app. If I can I will attach some pics.
LL
LL

13 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 14

They aren't that bad looking actually. Two things to consider...#1...what's the temp in your house? Too warm will cause icing to be soft and the flowers to "wilt". #2....try holding the tip out at an agle more to give the edges more of a curl.

Otherwise, they're really good!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 14

It'sot stiff enough from the sounds of it.

I'd add a lot of powdered sugar to stiffen it up and also a touch of (clear) corn syrup.

MistyNV30 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 14

If I add more powder sugar to try and stiffen it up would it matter if the recipe used meringue powder also? Would that affect it at all.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 14

Meringue powder is NOT what makes the flowers dry. Adding more sugar to icing is NOT going to effect the use of the mp.
Plop those roses back into the bowl; beat it up good and try againicon_smile.gif
After making the 'wrap' start your 3 petals higher up the mound. They should almost cover the wrap. The tip should be straight up & down and the back of the bag should point over your shoulder. The bottom of the tip should touch the mound at all times. The petal should not be any longer than the tip is wide - like only 1/2" or less long. It looks like you bottom row of petals are 2" long....no, no, noicon_smile.gif
More practice is really all you need. Keep at it. It will all come together soon. Good luck and have fun!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 14

Icing consistency is important to have nice, upright rose petals. You can add additional powdered sugar or cornstarch to your icing to stiffen it.

MistyNV30 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:56am
post #7 of 14

Thanks everyone! I will give it another shot with your advise. Let's see how they turn out. I post a pic when we get some done.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:26am
post #8 of 14

Are you using a flower nail to do this ?

MistyNV30 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 14

yes we are using a flower nail and he also tried using something else also. Were going to keep on trying and see what happens. Thanks everyone for your help.

MistyNV30 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 14

Here is another question, Once we get them to where we like what they look like what is the best storage for them? In the freezer or frig or on counter covered. Thanks for all the help. They are looking much better then they did. We made the icing much stiffer. Will post picture soon so we can get some advise on them.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 14

I have placed them in both the fridge and freezer, depending on my design. If it's simply placing them, then I put them in the freezer and can pick them up with a pair of scissors to place them. If I need to actually hold them to place at certain angles, then I throw them in the freezer.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 14

another thing to keep in mind... if you have hot hands your metal flower nail will heat up fast and melt the frosting.

When I do roses on a cake I have about 3 or 4 sitting in a dish of ice to stay nice and cold and about every 3 roses I throw my warm one back in ice and grab a new one.

MistyNV30 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 14

Well here is the cake with are Buttercream roses. I also used one chocolate candy rose in the middle on the top layer. The cake is off centered so there would be room to write on the second layer. I have learned so much on here that this is my 2nd stacked cake and it looks so much better. Thanks for everyones help and all of the great people on this board. Any ones opion would be great. Thanks again!
LL

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 14

Misty, your roses came out real nice, great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%