Back With Another Dumb Newbie Question!

Decorating By lolobell Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm by lolobell

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 7

getting sick of me yet???? !!!!!!

okay, here's my dingy question of the day:

I am making a football cake inspired by photos I've seen here on CC. Sheet cake with Wilton football cake on top. Question is as follows:

should I use a cake board under the football part that sits on the sheet cake. Or does that just sit on the sheet cake part itself? I am making the sheet cake yellow cake and the football chocolate. Thank you for your guidance yet again! Don't know what I would do without you. icon_smile.gif

Marianne

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 7

If you want ease of serving.......to be able to lift off the football then, yes,. Otherwise no need.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 7

Not a dingy question at all!

I've done it both ways and for different reasons. Support is not needed under the football cake, but sometimes, icing, smoothing and decorating the football is just easier when you can get to it rather than trying to mess with it on the sheetcake!

However, the down side of that is that it isn't actually necessary and creates extra work having to cut out the board for the football. It also can create a problem for the person cutting the cake in that trying to get the football off can make the sheetcake get messed up. If you use a crusting buttercream you can sprinkle some corn starch with a light dusting right where the football is going to go. This can help the icing not stick to the board above it.

Either way is not "wrong"... you just do what will make life easier for YOU! Good luck!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

There are no dumb questions! We all had to start somewhere and had to ask these same questions. icon_biggrin.gif
Jen...

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 7

You've got some great answers there....the football isn't really heavy enough to need the support of the board, but for ease of your mind, you could put one under it...either way on this one!

And don't worry about the questions....this is the place to find answers!!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

I just made 2 of them not too long ago and I didn't use anything under the football. It held up perfectly! Good luck, they are so much fun to make (=

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 7

THANK YOU ALL YET AGAIN. YOU PUT ALL WORRIES TO EASE!

YOU ARE ALL FANTASTIC.

MARIANNE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%