Large Cake Pans

Decorating By kinicto Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm by tx_cupcake

kinicto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kinicto Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 8

I am having trouble taking large cakes out of cakes pan to let them cool. I always break the cake into several pieces.

How do you get your large cakes out of the cake pans without tearing them up????

HELP!!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 8

Get a large cooling rackicon_smile.gif Just put it on top of the pan and turn both pan & rack over in one motion.
If you can't get a large rack then cover a large cake board and turn it out on that. A rack is better but you can cool a cake on a board.
Make sure the cake is level. Is it breaking because it's not level? Cool in pan maybe 10 minutes or so , level even w/top of pan then turn out onto rack or board.

kinicto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kinicto Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 8

My tops aren't level. The cake doesn't rise to the top of the pan so I can level it off. Guess I need to add a little more batter.

Thanks about the larger rack idea.

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 8

What I do is use the oven rack that I am not using...
I would love to have a bigger cooling rack but I can not go out and buy one due to being in a remote location.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:10am
post #5 of 8

Someone also suggested in one of the CC forums to line the pans with parchment paper before adding the batter. I've only tried it with 11x15 but my cakes never crack or fall apart anymore. I only remove the paper after the cake has cooled for quite a while on the cooling rack. The paper seems to give more stability to the cake while it's warm.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:31am
post #6 of 8

I let my cakes cool completely in the pan, with a paper towel over them.

When I want to remove them from the pan, I place a cake board of the same size on top of the pan and flip both of them at once. I then slide the cake off the temporary cake board to my to a finished cake board to decorate.

Tammy

Edit - So I don't waste a cake board, I place a piece of wax paper between the cake and the temporary board so it can be re-used.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinicto

My tops aren't level. The cake doesn't rise to the top of the pan so I can level it off. Guess I need to add a little more batter.

Thanks about the larger rack idea.

I fill all my pans 3/4 full. Any less and they won't rise enough at the edges to level. I use the pan as a guide and cut across with a serrated knife. Try adding more batter and see if that helps.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 8

I've had a lot of luck with brushing cake release in my pans before filling them with batter. I've not had one stick yet...

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E314CE6-475A-BAC0-5E1C5AE72E14DEBE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%