Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:46am
post #5101 of 6536

Ya, I make a jalapeno/mango jelly and mix it with cream cheese to make a great dip! Just sounded good to put it in some Bettercreme or buttercream. I wish I had time to experiment but got to put it on hold for awhile.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:59am
post #5102 of 6536

It's probably been done, but I just made carrot cake (& added pineapple) & made a blackberry filling to go w/ it. I have to say it was yummy!

DelusionsOfGrandeur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelusionsOfGrandeur Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 7:04am
post #5103 of 6536

Another mango flavor option - not sure how you would incorporate it, though - is chili powder. My sister-in-law (from central Mexico) is always sprinkling chili powder on her mango slices as she eats them. I'm not crazy about mango, so I've never tried it. But she loves it.

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 7:37am
post #5104 of 6536

this is great thanks

GrandmaG Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 11:07am
post #5105 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelusionsOfGrandeur

Another mango flavor option - not sure how you would incorporate it, though - is chili powder. My sister-in-law (from central Mexico) is always sprinkling chili powder on her mango slices as she eats them. I'm not crazy about mango, so I've never tried it. But she loves it.

Yes, the flavors blend very nice together. Next week I need to try this! I'll let you know how it goes.

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #5106 of 6536

Would anyone be willing to share the recipe for Lemon Meriginue Coconut cake? I saw Chef Stef listed it and it sound really yummy. I PM'd her but no response as yet. I would like to try this one if anyone has the recipe.

thanks,

DelusionsOfGrandeur Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5107 of 6536

GrandmaG, please do let me know how it goes! If it turns out, I may make it for my husband's birthday. He's a big fan of the sweet and spicy flavor combinations.

On a separate note, thanks to everyone who guided and helped me with the root beer float cake (I made it for a friend's daughter's birthday). It was fabulous! It even had the adults talking!

butterfly23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly23 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:03pm
post #5108 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

thank you again macsmom for the swirling tips!

when you make the andes dream cake, do you add the andes pieces before you pour into the pans or drop them on top after they are in the pans? do you have a trick to keep them from all sinking to the bottom? that cake sounds so good!

on the rainbowlicious cake, do the cakes bake up lighter or darker than the wet batter? just want to make sure i end up with the right colors and not puce or rust icon_biggrin.gif

thank you again!

(made this cake earlier this week)
Maybe this will help Macsmom... I take the Andes chips and toss them in about a spoonful of flour coating them... that keeps them from sinking to the bottom and distributes them evenly in the batter. I add this to the batter at the end gently stirring them in.

pinkbox Do you care sharing the andes dream cake recipes? TIA

irenemurray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irenemurray Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #5109 of 6536

I'm making MacsMom's Orange Dreamsicle cake for my daughter's birthday. What kind of frosting/flavor would work well? I'm covering with fondant. I thought about the buttercream made with marshmallow fluff. I need to make sure I'm able to cover with fondant and leave it out of the fridge. Thanks.

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:27pm
post #5110 of 6536

Hi, my niece is turning 16 this weekend and i want to make her a two tier cake the snickerdoodle and maple white choc. cakes(her favorites). do you think those flavors go well together? any suggestions on filling? thinking of just covering with buttercream and doing zebra print and a big bright lime green bow(her favorite color).

mrsmicbau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmicbau Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:12pm
post #5111 of 6536

Hi. I have really been enjoying this thread. Have my niece's cake decided.. and now need inspiration for my nephew's cake. He doesn't care much for cakes/sweets. I just IM'ed his sister to get some clues.. He does like Twix candy and Hot Fudge Sundae pop tarts and cookies and cream pop tarts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I have 18 month twin girls and barely can think for myself these days. Thank you..thank you.

DelusionsOfGrandeur Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #5112 of 6536

Well, I made the cookies 'n cream cake for my daughter's third birthday. It was a big hit with the kids. But you could totally do a twix cake. If I were doing a twix cake, I would probably do a Graham Cracker WASC with caramel and chocolate ganache fillings. Good luck on your cakes!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:02pm
post #5113 of 6536

I just want to apologize to those who were asking me about the root beer float cake and glaze recipe!!! I stopped getting notifications about the thread and 5 whole pages went by!! I am so sorry!

GrandmaG Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5114 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgalvan62

Hi, my niece is turning 16 this weekend and i want to make her a two tier cake the snickerdoodle and maple white choc. cakes(her favorites). do you think those flavors go well together? any suggestions on filling? thinking of just covering with buttercream and doing zebra print and a big bright lime green bow(her favorite color).

I think those flavors go together great! You could fill with the white chocolate truffle on both and cinnamon buttercream on the Snickerdoodle and white chocolate on the maple/white chocolate! Sounds so yummy!

Jenala87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenala87 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:48am
post #5115 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanney54

Has anyone used the Nestle Nesquik in anything? I was fixing me a glass of strawberry milk before I go to bed any was wondering how it would be in a cake or frosting recipe?

This is what I use for the liquid portion of my strawberry cake.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:54am
post #5116 of 6536

oh yeah! I didn't have an "original" though, but y'all have gotten me thinking outside of the box! lol

steffla Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm
post #5117 of 6536

Speaking of the strawberry cake, I was reviewing some notes I made and in regards to the banana cake ( and strawberry, peach, etc) I had this written in quotes:

"-----I haven't had that problem, but the banana is more moist and takes longer because of the fruit. Yes, it is the extra sugar that makes the tops crispier and the cake heavier, so add an extra egg and reduce the white sugar in the recipe. I usually bake at 325 for the first 45 mins and then increase the oven to 350.

Oh, yeah, peach and strawberry. I need to fix those in the doc to use less puree, less sugar, substitute soda and add an egg. Tomorrow I'll go through and look at all of the fruit recipes...
"

Have these recipes been adapted? I am not sure if I wrote down the adapted versions of the recipes or the original version and I would like to try the banana soon but have no money to waste lol! Anyone know?

steffla Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #5118 of 6536

Also, I was wondering...dont know if this is a new idea but has anyone tried making a Nilla wafer cake? to use with a banana mousse with banana slices in it like a traditional banana pudding.....mmmmm

I know somewhere I saw a talk of a sugar cookie cake using crushed sugar cookies in the recipe so could we do the same with Nilla wafers and lots of vanilla flavor?

Lulu3535 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lulu3535 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5119 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterscotch8654

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

Butterscotch- How are you storing you cakes once they are baked?

I let them cool in the pan- after the were completely cool I took them out and put them on the cake board and iced and decorated them. I have never had this problem before. icon_cry.gif

I know this was posted a long time ago, but I am slowly making my way through this thread and thought I would respond just in case anyone was still wondering on this one.

Cakes should be removed from the pan after 10-15 minutes because otherwise they trap steam and that will make them tough and gummy. Removing them to a cooling rack after 15 minutes (to allow the proteins to stiffen) will help eliminate this problem.

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:03am
post #5120 of 6536

Thanks GrandmaG! Duh..White Chocolate Truffle Yay!!! can't wait to bake icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:04pm
post #5121 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenala87

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanney54

Has anyone used the Nestle Nesquik in anything? I was fixing me a glass of strawberry milk before I go to bed any was wondering how it would be in a cake or frosting recipe?

This is what I use for the liquid portion of my strawberry cake.

You can use the Strawberry Nestle's but it still doesn't give the flavor as strong as the strawberry puree would.

GrandmaG Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:07pm
post #5122 of 6536

[quote="steffla"]Also, I was wondering...dont know if this is a new idea but has anyone tried making a Nilla wafer cake? to use with a banana mousse with banana slices in it like a traditional banana pudding.....mmmmm

You can make the Nilla cake just like the S'mores! It is great for a banana pudding cake!

megandeann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megandeann Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:11pm
post #5123 of 6536

icon_eek.gif WOW
So, I first checked out the forums yesterday and happened to find this I'd say little (but we know it's not icon_wink.gif ) gem and I couldn't be happier. My head has been swimming with information! Thank you all so much for the plethora of ideas. Can't wait to try tons of these!!

megandeann Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:18pm
post #5124 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Also, I was wondering...dont know if this is a new idea but has anyone tried making a Nilla wafer cake? to use with a banana mousse with banana slices in it like a traditional banana pudding.....mmmmm

I know somewhere I saw a talk of a sugar cookie cake using crushed sugar cookies in the recipe so could we do the same with Nilla wafers and lots of vanilla flavor?

I think that you probably could, put them through a food processor to get almost a finely ground texture close to cornmeal and you could subsitute maybe a cup of that for 1 c. flour. I know from reading one of Macsmom early posts thats what she does for a graham cracker cake...mmm

Try it and let me know how it goes!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:11pm
post #5125 of 6536

Image megandeann!
If you want to allow comments on your cakes, just click 'profile', then on 'Allow other members to post comments on my photos' click yes.

megandeann Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5126 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Image megandeann!
If you want to allow comments on your cakes, just click 'profile', then on 'Allow other members to post comments on my photos' click yes.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

steffla Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5127 of 6536

grandma G, megandeann , thanks so much!!! Well it wasnt an original idea but still sounds delicious and I cant wait to try it!!!!

butterfly23 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:15am
post #5128 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaplh

steffla,
can you share what you did as your filling with exact amounts and technique...sounds yummy!

Sure! I used macsmom's recipes for the following,

First i cooked the kahlua in a little saucepan, SIMMER it for 8 minutes (I boiled it the first time by accident icon_redface.gif , turns into candy lol) to cook off the alcohol. Gets a bit syrup-like if you go just a bit longer YUM!

:Kahlua White Chocolate Truffle
16 oz cream cheese, softened (I used philadelphia brand)
4 cups (2 bags) of white premier morsels by Nestle
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted ( I just used the 10x Domino without sifting)
2 tsp of the cooked kahlua

Beat cream cheese, melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave and then beat that mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Add the kahlua and sugar, beat really well!!! It thickens as it cools and is scrumptious!

I also used this to smooth the top of my cake which was carved and pieced together on t op with cake scraps. Used it as glue and it worked like a gem!

For the marscapone filling i used the recipe from the recipe document(in my signature) except instead of frostin pride i used the mock bettercreme filling. I did used the cooked Kahlua in that too, not the extract.

And for the espresso syrup, I am not sure who the recipe orginated from but its in this thread...I used 1/2 cup of espresso (or you could use strong coffee, I used boiling water and instant espresso powder), disolved 2tablespoons of sugar in that and added 3 tablespoons of the kahlua..outrageous!!! thanx

Finally, for the cake just used the recipe in t he google document by macsmom with the 1 1/3tiramisu coffee creamer and 1 1/3 water for the liquid, 1 dram of Lorann coffee, 1 tsp of vanilla and a small splash of the kahlua, plus i added a box of cheesecake pudding mix, sugar free. Those are changes to the original wasc recipe listed first in the google doc!

Sorry so long, hope this helps!!!

Sorry, I may sound dum ,but where in the store, can i find white premier morsels ? i will like to try this recipe to it sounds delicioussss

steffla Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:01am
post #5129 of 6536

I just buy them in the regular grocery store, I believe they are by Nestle but any tasty white chocolate should do just fine!....and yes it IS delicious!

butterfly23 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:31am
post #5130 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Here's my list of "Specialty Cakes". I'm always coming up with new ideas, though, so this list is most definitely subject to change!

The Worlds Best Carrot (Bobby Flay, where's my Throwdown? icon_biggrin.gif)
Moist, perfectly spiced cake, chock full of carrots, pineapple, raisins, golden raisins, pecans, and walnuts. Iced with real cream cheese frosting.

Pumpkin
Moist, richly spiced pumpkin cake with brown sugar buttercream.

Boston Cream Pie  
Vanilla sponge cake filled with luxurious vanilla cream and topped with chocolate ganache.  

Mississippi Mud  
Rich, moist chocolate cake with miniature marshmallows and toasted pecans and gooey chocolate frosting

Pecan Praline  
Butter pecan cake with bourbon syrup and penuche pecan filling. Iced in brown sugar buttercream and garnished with pralined pecans.  

Southern Red Velvet  
Traditional red velvet cake with real cream cheese frosting and garnished with either sweetened flaked coconut or crushed toasted pecans.

Twelve-Layer  
A dozen thin layers of yellow cake filled and iced with chocolate ganache.

Dixie Darling   
Golden yellow cake with mandarin oranges baked in. Frosted with pineapple whipped icing.  

Southern Belle  
White vanilla cake filled with white chocolate mousse, fresh strawberries and peaches. Iced with white chocolate buttercream. Garnished with white chocolate curls, peach slices and fresh strawberries.

Ambrosia  
White vanilla cake filled with pineapple and mandarin orange cream. Iced with fluffy meringue and covered in sweetened flaked coconut and toasted crushed pecans.

Aurora  
White chocolate cake filled with lemon curd and iced with raspberry buttercream, garnished with white chocolate curls, lemon zest curls, and fresh raspberries.

Melba  
White vanilla cake filled with peach Bavarian and seedless raspberry preserves. Iced with white chocolate buttercream. Garnished with white chocolate curls, peach slices and fresh raspberries.

Peaches and Cream  
White vanilla cake with peach chunks baked in, filled with Peach Bavarian and iced with whipped cream. Garnished with fresh peach slices.

Orange Creamcicle  
Orange chiffon cake filled with vanilla Bavarian cream and iced in orange buttercream. Garnished with orange zest curls.  

Banana Split  
Vanilla sponge cake filled with banana Bavarian cream, strawberry and pineapple fruit fillings, and milk chocolate ganache. Iced in whipped cream. Garnished with chopped peanuts and maraschino cherries.

Coconut  
Yellow coconut-vanilla cake with coconut cream, filled and iced with fluffy meringue frosting and covered with sweetened flake coconut.  

Coconut Cream  
Yellow coconut-vanilla cake with coconut cream, filled with coconut Bavarian, iced with fluffy meringue frosting and covered with sweetened flake coconut.

Lemon-Raspberry  
Six layers of lemon cake filled with alternating layers of seedless raspberry preserves and lemon curd. Iced with lemon and raspberry buttercreams and garnished with lemon curls and fresh raspberries.

Lemon-Raspberry Cloud  
Six layers of lemon cake filled with raspberry mousse. Iced with lemon and raspberry buttercreams and garnished with lemon curls and fresh raspberries.  

Lemon-Blueberry  
Six layers of lemon cake with alternating layers of blueberry filling and lemon curd. Iced in lemon buttercream and garnished with lemon curls and fresh blueberries.

Lemon-Lime  
Lemon cake filled with lemon and lime curds and topped with a key lime meringue frosting; garnished with lemon and lime curls.

Margarita  
Lime cake with Tequila and Cointreau. Filled with lime curd. Iced with fluffy meringue and garnished with lime zest curls.

Piña Colada  
Coconut cake with rum filled with pineapple. Iced with fluffy meringue and covered with sweetened flaked coconut.

Grasshopper  
Chocolate cake with crème de cacao and crème de menthe, filled with mint-chocolate chip buttercream, iced in dark chocolate ganache, and garnished with mint chocolate candies.

Chocolate Truffle  
Dark chocolate cake, filled with milk chocolate mousse, enrobed in milk chocolate ganache, and garnished with cocoa powder and dark and white chocolate curls.

Chocolate Raspberry Truffle  
Chocolate cake, filled with seedless raspberry preserves, enrobed in milk chocolate ganache, and garnished with cocoa powder, dark chocolate curls, and fresh raspberries.

Yin-Yang  
Alternating layers of dark chocolate and white chocolate cake filled with dark chocolate and white chocolate mousse. Iced with white chocolate buttercream and topped with chocolate ganache.

Turtle  
Chocolate cake filled with dulce de leche and toasted pecans, iced in chocolate ganache and garnished with dulce de leche drizzle and toasted pecans.  

Chocolate Overload  
A fudgy dark chocolate brownie sandwiched between two layers of rich dark chocolate devils food cake. Filled with decadent dark chocolate sour cream ganache and iced with chocolate buttercream. Topped with more ganache and garnished with chocolate filigree.  

Watergate  
Three layers of almond cake filled with pistachio-almond-pineapple Bavarian. Iced with whipped cream and garnished with toasted chopped pistachios and almonds and maraschino cherries.

Chocolate Espresso  
Six layers of chocolate cake brushed with coffee syrup. Filled with alternating layers of dark chocolate ganache and espresso mousse. Iced with chocolate buttercream topped with a coffee glaze. Garnished with dark chocolate curls and chocolate covered espresso beans.

Mocha  
Three layers of chocolate cake brushed with coffee syrup. Filled with mocha mousse and iced with mocha buttercream. Garnished with chocolate curls.

Persian Love  
Cardamom flavored sponge cake filled and iced with saffron-infused, rose water scented whipped cream. Garnished with dried rose petals.  

Butter Pecan  
Vanilla butter cake with pecans baked in. Filled with penuche-pecan and iced with vanilla buttercream. Garnished with toasted chopped pecans.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup  
Chocolate cake filled with peanut butter buttercream and enrobed in milk chocolate ganache. Garnished with chopped toasted peanuts.

Carmen  
Coconut cake with pineapple, mango, guava, and passion-fruit fillings. Iced with whipped cream and garnished with mango, pineapple, and kiwi slices and toasted coconut.  

Hummingbird
Lightly spiced cake with bananas, walnuts and pecans. Filled and iced with cream cheese frosting and garnished with toasted chopped walnuts and pecans.

Flourless Chocolate  
A rich, dark, decadent chocolate cake made with couverture chocolate for the true chocolate lover. Accompanied by whipped cream and fresh raspberries.

Black Forest  
Dark chocolate cake with kirsch syrup, filled with cherries, iced with whipped cream and garnished with chocolate flakes and whole cherries.

German Chocolate  
Chocolate cake with coconut-pecan frosting, garnished with chocolate curls.

Tiramisu  
Almond sponge cake with espresso and Marsala, filled with mascarpone cream custard, topped with real whipped cream, and garnished with cocoa powder and chocolate filigree.  

Strawberry Tiramisu  
Vanilla sponge cake with fruit juices, golden rum, and Grand Marnier, filled with mascarpone cream custard and fresh strawberries, topped with orange whipped cream and garnished with powdered sugar.

Spumoni  
Three layers of rum cake with one layer each of pistachio cream filling and spumoni fruit (pineapple, maraschino cherries, and almond slices) cream filling. Topped with a chocolate glaze.

Cassata  
Almond sponge cake with Grand Marnier syrup filled with cannoli cream, iced with whipped cream and garnished with chocolate flakes, pistachios, maraschino cherries, and candied orange peel. Also available iced in marzipan.

LOpera  
Almond sponge cake with coffee syrup filled and iced with mocha buttercream and garnished with a chocolate glaze.

Sachertorte  
Light but rich layers of chocolate sponge cake filled with apricot jam and enrobed in ganache. Garnished with dark chocolate dipped dried apricots.

Trifle  
Vanilla sponge cake with brandy, seedless raspberry preserves, and vanilla custard, topped with whipped cream and garnished with fresh raspberries.

Crème Brule
Vanilla sponge cake filled with luscious vanilla custard cream and topped with caramelized sugar glaze.  

Pistachio and Cherry  
Rich buttery cake with pistachios and cherries baked in. Cake is glazed while still warm from the oven, then garnished with powdered sugar, pistachios and cherries.

Sicilian Delight  
Almond sponge cake with amaretto syrup, filled with a special chocolate chip, toasted almonds and maraschino cherry Bavarian, iced with whipped cream and garnished with chocolate flakes, toasted almonds, and maraschino cherries.

Ginger and Molasses  
Rich, dark cake with the earthy sweetness of molasses and the spicy bite of ginger. Topped with powdered sugar. Accompanied by whipped cream.

Apple  
Spice cake with apples, golden raisins, walnuts, and pecans, topped with powdered sugar.  

Hazelnut Plum  
Rich hazelnut cake with juicy plums baked on top.

Hazelnut, Cardamom and Pear  
Rich hazelnut cake with juicy cardamom seasoned pears baked on top.

Banana  
Moist spice cake with bananas, iced with brown sugar buttercream

French Apple  
A spiral of apples baked underneath a rich vanilla cake with Calvados creates a luscious caramelized apple topping when the cake is turned out.

WOW thumbs_up.gif THIS SOUND YUMMMMY I AM GONA MAKE SOME CAKE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%