Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

Missyisbadkarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyisbadkarma Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #181 of 6536

Amortetti just e-mailed me and I have samples on the way!!! Thanks guys icon_biggrin.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:04pm
post #182 of 6536

Just wondering, how do you think Bavarian Cream (sleeve filling) would taste in a Butter Pecan cake with Caramel icing? Someone told me at the Cake supply store that they had heard it was pretty good. Anyone else tried that combination? Thanks so much everyone....

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:41pm
post #183 of 6536

i haven't personally tried it but i think that would taste very good as butter pecan and caramel can be rather sweet so the bavarian cream would go nicely, imo.

HeatherC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherC Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:52am
post #184 of 6536

What kind of buttercream would you recommend with Orange Valencia Cake?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:37am
post #185 of 6536

I got a call from amouretti today too icon_smile.gif I'm very excited to try the samples. She mentioned a passion fruit and I about jumped up and down!

sayhellojana Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:08am
post #186 of 6536

MacsMom - I was reading the list again because I want to try a new flavor. I'm making a cake for a CC throwdown and I figure since its not really for anyone I could experiment. The Chai Latte sounds amazing! What i want to know is how you make chai spiced cake. Is it literally as simple as adding chai spice to cake?

USMCWifePena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMCWifePena Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:38am
post #187 of 6536

All I can say is WOW icon_biggrin.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:57am
post #188 of 6536

Wow, that is impressive.

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:38pm
post #189 of 6536

WOW,Thanks!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm
post #190 of 6536

This is ne of the most awesome threads I have seen on here yet!!!!!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #191 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

MacsMom - I was reading the list again because I want to try a new flavor. I'm making a cake for a CC throwdown and I figure since its not really for anyone I could experiment. The Chai Latte sounds amazing! What i want to know is how you make chai spiced cake. Is it literally as simple as adding chai spice to cake?

Oh gosh! I haven't been receiving e-mail updates! I'll go back and answer questions as I find them...

1. For the Chai spice, I buy Tazo teas Chai Spice concentrate (it comes in a box by the teas - I get mine at Target) and just use that in place of water, full strength.

2. I'm not a fan of bavarian creme filling icon_razz.gif . Not just sweet but tastes too synthetic - like the pudding cups that aren't in the refrigerator. I like the mock cheesecake filling (I've begun referring to it as "whipped" cheesecake filling icon_wink.gif ). Two packages of JellO Cheesecake pudding mix whipped into Bettercreme or Frostin Pride - or Cool Whip).

3. Banana Split cake... I make 3 different cakes, but I use HALF the recipe so it's one box mix, 1 cup flour, etc...

The banana cake half-recipe is a banana mix with one mashed banana added to it (for the full version I use 3 bananas with 1 box banana mix + 1 box white mix), banana pudding mix added to it, and I use 1 container of Yoplait banana cream pie yogurt instead of sour cream.

The cherry cake is white cake mix with 1 dram of LoRann cherry flavor and red food coloring. It's good with 1/2 c diced marashino cherries added to it or mini-cherry chips (cherry flavored white--er, pink--chocolate chips).

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm
post #192 of 6536

MacsMom, you are a doll for sharing all this with us ... icon_biggrin.gif

I have a question for the benefit of those of us who are not able to find Bettercreme. Several different times I have seen a reference to using Cool Whip in place of Bettercreme, Is that right? We can use Cool Whip in these amazing Bettercreme recipes??? Every time I read about your cheesecake filling, I almost cry because I can't get Bettercreme.

Thank you again!
Martha

MacsMom Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #193 of 6536

Yes... or homemade whipped cream. Bettercreme and Frostin' Pride are similar to a whipped topping, but thick enough to decorate a cake with.

You cannot use it as a frosting underneath fondant though, because it's high liquid content melts fondant.

If you use Cool Whip, you have to refrigerate the cake. Bettercreme and FP are non-dairy and can be left out for 5 days once "applied to product".

mbt4955 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:19pm
post #194 of 6536

Oh dear ... now I will have to go back and read all those Bettercreme recipes and ideas. I skip past most of them because I know I can't use them!! I know what I will be doing for the next week or so! Thanks so much, MacsMom!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #195 of 6536

Amazing! I LOVE the creativity and sharing on this website. I have a little time off (no orders for 2 weeks=PLAYTIME!) so I'm looking forward to letting my mind wander. icon_smile.gif Thank you, thank you to the flavor Goddesses of CC!

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #196 of 6536

I just read this post from start to finish and all I can say is WOW icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif I am sooooooo hungry now!! I cant wait to start trying all of these flavors, and I will be contacting Amoretti very soon! Thank you so much Macsmom, you are most amazing! And thanks to everyone who has contributed to this amazing post!!!! thumbs_up.gif

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #197 of 6536

Anybody have a Vanilla Rum Buttercream recipe?

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:45pm
post #198 of 6536

I am in absolute awe!! WOW. I just spent the last hour pasting and copying and dying to experiment.

Macsmom and Chef Stef... you ladies are awesome.

Here is a list of my flavors...incase any of those were missed:

Chocolate Decadence- A delicious Mexican Chocolate cake with a hint of cinnamon and Kahlua with layers of caramel and chocolate Kahlua buttercream.

Strawberry Shortcake- A spongy white vanilla cake with layers strawberries and cream icing.

Dreamcycle- Reminiscent of the orange push up pops as a child, Dreamsicle has a distinctive summery orange flavor which can be combined with traditional vanilla buttercream filling, pineapple or a combination of both that is melt in your mouth delicious.

Carrots are Better in Cake- Deliciously fresh, lightly spiced carrot cake finished with layers of fresh cream cheese frosting just like grandma used to make.

Italian Cream Dream- A delicious blend of vanilla, coconut, and nutty pecans,with cream cheese icing. Filled with your choice of cream cheese icing and/or raspberry.

Southern Red Velvet- A rich distinctive red cake that has a history of it own. Layered with cream cheese icing, it is every southerners dream.

The German Experience- A light German Chocolate Sour Cream cake with coconut praline fillings and melt in your mouth chocolate icing.

Raspberry Cream Dream- A light White Almond Sour Cream Cake with raspberries and cream sandwiched between the layers.

Buttery Rum with a Twist- A buttery yellow cake soaked with a Rum syrup layered with your choice of Rum Infused Chocolate Buttercream or Rum Infused Vanilla Buttercream.

Super Sweet Toothache Cake- A dense chocolate brownie type mud cake with layers of sweet chocolate ganache and caramel with mini chocolate chips and peanuts

Take me to Hawaii- A White Almond Sour Cream cake with layers of pineapple, mango, coconut and finely chopped banana chips.

Mexican Vanilla Kahlua- A robust Vanilla cake with Kahlua and a hint of cinnamon that tickles the          taste buds. Layered with Cinnamon Kahlua buttercream

Peanut Butter and Jelly- Silky smooth peanut butter cake with layers of your choice of grape,          strawberry, raspberry, or any preserve flavor that tickles your fancy.

Elvis Wants Cake- Peanut butter silk cake with layers of bananas and peanut butter buttercream

Quadruple Chocolate Fudge- Chocolate Mud Cake with layers of chocolate ganache, chocolate chips, in chocolate buttercream... a chocolate lovers dream.

Lemon Raspberry Zinger- A deliciously light Lemon Cake layered with Raspberry preserves and lemon buttercream

Baileys® Irish Cream- Wonderful layers of chocolate Irish Cream cake with Baileys Irish Cream buttercream

I also use the WASC as my base recipe

sayhellojana Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:59pm
post #199 of 6536

Thanks so much MacsMom. I'll look for it at the grocery store (no target near me). I'm not a fan of chai lattes and those kind of drinks, but I love hot chai tea and really, isn't everything better in cake form?!

mbt - If you have a Smart & Final, and their everywhere, they carry both Frostin' Pride and Pastry Pride, and chocolate bettercream (not not vanilla bettercream. strange). In my opinion, whipped cream doesnt taste much like frostin or pastry pride. I'm sure that it would still work though!

mbt4955 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #200 of 6536

Thanks, sayhellojana. No Smart & Final here either. I've never heard of S&F until I found this site. We have WalMart, Target, Sam's Club and grocery stores. I'm thinking that Cool Whip would work better than whipping cream, but I can't quite wrap my brain around how it will work. I'll have to just try one and see.

It is possible that the bakery at Sam's Club uses Bettercreme. I haven't asked them yet, but I looked online and it is not available retail here.

MacsMom Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #201 of 6536

mbt - Just go to the bakery dept at Sam's and ask whomever is decorating cakes. They might only sell it to you in large buckets or pre-whipped, though.

jessigurl182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessigurl182 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:39pm
post #202 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Oh gosh! I haven't been receiving e-mail updates! I'll go back and answer questions as I find them...

1. For the Chai spice, I buy Tazo teas Chai Spice concentrate (it comes in a box by the teas - I get mine at Target) and just use that in place of water, full strength.

2. I'm not a fan of bavarian creme filling icon_razz.gif . Not just sweet but tastes too synthetic - like the pudding cups that aren't in the refrigerator. I like the mock cheesecake filling (I've begun referring to it as "whipped" cheesecake filling icon_wink.gif ). Two packages of JellO Cheesecake pudding mix whipped into Bettercreme or Frostin Pride - or Cool Whip).

3. Banana Split cake... I make 3 different cakes, but I use HALF the recipe so it's one box mix, 1 cup flour, etc...

The banana cake half-recipe is a banana mix with one mashed banana added to it (for the full version I use 3 bananas with 1 box banana mix + 1 box white mix), banana pudding mix added to it, and I use 1 container of Yoplait banana cream pie yogurt instead of sour cream.

The cherry cake is white cake mix with 1 dram of LoRann cherry flavor and red food coloring. It's good with 1/2 c diced marashino cherries added to it or mini-cherry chips (cherry flavored white--er, pink--chocolate chips).

Thank you so much for all your help!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #203 of 6536

I was fishing around trying to get information on the Pastry Pride and Frostin Pride along with the Bettercream and here is some information I found about it for those of you who use it or those of us who want to try it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060911153314AA0uXw8

talks about how its frozen and how to thaw and coloring... etc. Hope this helps someone....

Im on a quest to get it here to Texas!!!

sayhellojana Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:48pm
post #204 of 6536

mbt - I'm sorry. All Sam's use bettercream and from what I hear on CC, many will sell it to you. maybe thats an option?

I'm off to look for chai spice icon_smile.gif

noyhoward Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #205 of 6536

I just called Sam's & they have it there.The lady from Sam's told me that it's about $20.00 for a bucket, I guess I'll be running there in a while.I'm going to be making a cake for my son b-day this weekend.I was wondering if I use bettercream for icing,can I put a buttercream transfer on the cake?Will it set like a buttercream so I can apply the transfer on it without messing up the cake?Sorry I'm a newbie.I want to try the WASC withe cheesecake & raspberry puree.Can't wait.Thanks for the help!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:01pm
post #206 of 6536

Chef_Stef... These two you listed sound absolutely fabulous! Can you share any recipes or point us in a direction? I'm dying to try these!

**Lemon Meringue Coconut Cake-with lemon curd and real coconut baked inside, filled with layers of lemon curd, coconut flakes, and crisp/chewy coconut meringue. This amazing confection will make lemon meringue pie lovers swoon!

**Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Cake-one of my personal favorites--Chocolate cake filled with delicious peanut butter mousse that will actually make you say, "Wow!"

MacsMom Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:13pm
post #207 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyhoward

if I use bettercream for icing,can I put a buttercream transfer on the cake?Will it set like a buttercream so I can apply the transfer on it without messing up the cake?Sorry I'm a newbie.I want to try the WASC withe cheesecake & raspberry puree.Can't wait.Thanks for the help!

I don't know for sure, I only use it to ake fillings with, but I would assume since buttercreamis fat-based it would be fine to place on Bettrecreme. But Bettercreme doesn't set like buttercream - it's a whipped frosting - it will form a skin as it dries, kinda like uncovered pudding in the fridge. But it isn't unappetizing, it is supposed to do that.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #208 of 6536

I just wanted to state that for one month now, I have been trying desperately to find something to demo at my cake club meeting in April. My demo was moved up to March because of the cake show and other issues. So this added to the urgency of finding something soon. I could not for the life of me think of anything original because I am up against some pretty experienced decorators & shop owners.
This thread has given me the idea to offer the flavour combinations not only for icings but cakes as well instead of doing a demo. I will bring in some flavours to taste but will combine a list on fancy paper for reference.
Thank you so much for helping me with what I thought was a huge problem for me to over come.
Thank you all so very much for the constant inspirations.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:23pm
post #209 of 6536

Noyhoward
I hope I recalled your handle correctly, you can use the Whimsical Bakehouse's version of buttercream which ends up like a whipped frosting but is in fact a buttercream.
I have tried unsuccessfully to post that frosting recipe here in the past (maybe back log) but if you need it let me know. It should take a buttercream transfer no problem

noyhoward Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:29pm
post #210 of 6536

MacsMom,when you do your WASC filled w/cheesecake & raspberry puree what do you use for icing?Do you think I can use buttercream?Will that taste ok with the fillings or is there something else that I should use?Thanks so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%