What Do You Charge / Upcharges

Decorating By ZAKIA6 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 12:14am by cheesecakes-galore

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

How do you charge (if you do) for things like fondant ball borders,
simple bows, full loop bows, fondant cut out circles.....

yesterday i did my 2nd cake in two weeks where i initially intended to do ball borders - but didnt have the time and wound up just using a simple rope border. I know they are just fondant balls - but they take time to make.

So im just wondering, do you charge for every little detail of the cake?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 7

You usually need to put a border on the cake so why in the world would one charge because you decide to make balls instead of a rope??
Now, loopy bows take time & fondant so that should be a charge included in the quoted price. That's why charging by the piece is a good way to do things. You charge say an extra 50 cents per serving if making bows or some charge $15-20 for a bow.
If it's *your* choice to put a bow on a cake then you can't really expect a customer to ante up another $20 just because you thought it would look nice.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 7

I'm just interested in hearing what everyone else has to say!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 7

For me, things like piping and borders and floral arrangement will add to the base price per serving and sugar flowers and bows and figures are a single price per piece.

per serving examples: fondant ribbons (like just around bases) $.20
floral arrangement $.50
additional piping really varies: $.20-$2
hand placed 3D pearls: $.25

single examples: dress bow: $10
loopy bow: $15
suagr rose: $8
sugar calla lily: $5
custom base (disposable to match the cake): $30-40

included in base price examples:
real ribbon around bases or tied in bows
single dots
swiss dots
light freeform scrollwork

HTH

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 7

maybe i should have worded it differently. ball borders and bows are not really in the same category. i havent really done alot of cakes but, making 100+ fondant balls is more time consuming than making 3 rope borders. i wouldn't necessarily say oh you want ball borders thats another XXX$ but i think it should be considered when pricing the cake. right?

bows and flowers i understand.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:06am
post #6 of 7

Another thought is to buy the silicone mold maker that makes the ball ropes. You place your fondant/gumpaste mixture into it, close, wipe off excess, freeze for 2-3 minutes, and take out and place on the cake. Depending upon the millimeter size and the cake size, in four or five ropes you could have the entire cake bordered with a rope as opposed to hand rolling 100 balls.

HTH

Paul & Peter

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #7 of 7

I just recently made a fondant covered cake that had a ball border. I felt it was very simple and easy, maybe a little more time consuming, but I did not charge extra just because of the ball border. I price all my fondant covered cakes on a per serving basis too though, and that price varies depending on how extravegant the cake is. However, bows and so forth are an additional charge with me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%