Using The Right Pan

Decorating By Roshellina Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 12:08am by indydebi

Roshellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roshellina Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone.. "CC" is my Favorite site ...
I have a problem ... first of all I use a LARGE Lasagna Pan to make my sheet cakes in ... it usually takes over one hour to bake it ...

What do you suggest
1 - use a regular Pan
2. get a Heat Core

My cakes are moist but the edges are usually hard and have to be trimmed of course.

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have a flower nail? I have 2 of them and use them 1/3 and 2/3 into the length of the pan along the middle of course. Just grease them well and set them in the pan before batter, if you forget they can go in after batter is poured. These act as heating cores and make a very small hole in your cake which is easy to cover. I also bake my cakes 25 degrees lower but for longer, learned this from a pastry chef. I gives you an evenly baked cake and it's nice and tender. You can also use Wilton's 'bake even' strips and you don't have to turn your oven temp down.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 6

Do you have a flower nail? I have 2 of them and use them 1/3 and 2/3 into the length of the pan along the middle. Just grease them well and set them in the pan before batter, if you forget they can go in after the batter is poured. These act as heating cores and make a very small hole in your cake which is easy to cover. I also bake my cakes 25 degrees lower but for longer, learned this from a pastry chef. I gives you an evenly baked cake and it's nice and tender, or you can use Wilton's 'bake even' strips and you don't have to turn your oven temp down.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 6

A pan's a pan. The same size (all three dimensions) cake won't bake any faster in a pan that comes from the baking department.

Heating core(s), lower temperature.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 6

Lots of us have baked in large pansicon_smile.gif If your edges are hard and must be cut off then you need to use the wet towels wrapped around the pan (outside) to help keep it cool until the center bakes enough.
I have baked 16" rounds and 12x18x2 sheets w/o using any kind of heat core or even a flower nail. Bake at a lower temp.......no more than 325...even 300 until you can smell the cake......yuuuummmm chocolate cake! - it must be doneicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I have baked 16" rounds and 12x18x2 sheets w/o using any kind of heat core or even a flower nail. Bake at a lower temp.......no more than 325...even 300 until you can smell the cake......yuuuummmm chocolate cake! - it must be doneicon_smile.gif

Same here ... exactly. With baking strips.

And larger cakes always take longer to bake, so an hour is not unusual.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%