Wilton Pans!!! Arrrrrggggg!

Decorating By scoutmamma Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm by klewisdas

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 24

why is it that if i grease and flour a 9 in round wilton cake pan sometimes it burns and sometimes it doesnt?

HELP!!! i am going to throw them out a window soon! icon_mad.gif

23 replies
kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 24

I know what you mean...the bottom of my Wilton pans cave in icon_confused.gif. Really difficult to get a level cake when the pan is concave icon_mad.gif .About half my pans are Magic Line-I love them, can't wait to replace all the crappy Wilton ones!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 24

I have only wilton pans and never had a problem baking with them. I do always need to level my cakes but never had a problem with burning.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 24

I have no problem with any of the Wilton pans I own.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 24

Although I do not prefer my Wilton pans over my Magic Line's, I still use them often (can't bring myself to throw them out) and have never experienced inconsistent results, such as burning!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 24

I have both kinds, but I've never had a problem with the Wiltons. Could it be an oven problem?
Cathy

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 24

I thought the same thing as pianocat... Does your oven have a "hot spot" that's consistently hotter than other parts? I had an oven that was always hotter at the back left corner, so I had to watch things that were there a little closer. It also might be cycling on and off too much, or the temperature might not be holding at what the oven temp is set for.

You might want to get a couple of oven thermometers and put them in different parts of the oven, then look to see what's going on in there.

I use mostly Wilton pans and don't have the same problem with the burning, by the way.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 24

2 words..........Magic Line

leepat Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 24

leepat Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 24

leepat Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 24

leepat Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:19pm
post #12 of 24

leepat Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 24

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 24

I have wilton pans and I use parchment paper on the bottom and never had burning. Maybe you could try that?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm
post #15 of 24

I also have wilton pans and have never had a problem with burning or being concave. I try to fill my pans a bit higher so I can press level them with a heavy cutting board when I take them out of the oven.

I read that somone had a problem with burning when they used a butter added shortening/can spray for coating/flouring.

I agree that maybe your oven may be cycling on too often at times and may be scorching the cake then. are they dry and burnt or just burnt on the outside and still moist?

Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 24

I have only Wilton cake pans and I have NEVER had any problems! I use cake release and go it come out nearly perfect every time! It might be your oven.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #17 of 24

A- Do you have any other pans that do not cause problems , i.e. magic line? If you do, then it more than likely isn't your oven.

B- If you are using only Wilton's, then the get oven thermometers, and check to see what is going on. Actually, a good idea because even good ovens can go wonky over time.

C- Use parchment paper liners. Even with a good oven and magic line pans, life is much easier if you do.

scoutmamma Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 24

thank you every body!!! i did check the oven for hotspots, and it runs off 25 degrees... so i am ontop of that. My yellow comes out fine, the white was a little crispy but still moist, the chocolate was perfect, and the peanut butter cake was crispy! all moist, but some were a little more done on the edges.... so i am perplexed. maybe it is the lighter colored cakes get browner? i just find myself checking them every 3 minutes or so...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #19 of 24

Yeah, every cake recipe is going to bake differently...I don't even look at the clock anymore, I just tell when it's done when it's done. I forgot to say that I don't even grease my pans at all, I use parchment on the bottoms, then run a knife around the edges to loosen them when it's time to de-pan them.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #20 of 24

scoutmamma.. What temp do you bake at ? I bake everything at 325,for just little longer.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:05am
post #21 of 24

Does anyone like Fat Daddio's? I just purchased some and I can't decide if I like them or not. =o)

scoutmamma Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #22 of 24

i do bake at 325, and i dont clock them anymore either... i just look and see when they are done. Now i made a red velvet last night and it came out perfect, SAME PANS. So i am stumped. maybe i just didnt keep a good eye on them. thank you everyone for your help. it is nice to know you have friends when you need them!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #23 of 24

Another thought... do you bake with your oven light on? (You'd be surprised how many people do!) That brings up the baking temp.

klewisdas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klewisdas Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #24 of 24

I also have trouble with my wilton pans. I havn't burned but sometimes they take a really long time to cook. I live in a small town in New Mexico and Wilton is the only cake products you can buy here. I don't even know any other brands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%