What Cake Serving Chart Do You Go By?

Decorating By dabear Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 4:11am by indydebi

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:46am
post #1 of 16

I am curious what chart most of you use? I seem to use the wilton party, but sometimes it's alot of cake. I am trying to figure out servings for a friends wedding. Depending on the chart...it makes a HUGE differnce in the amount of cake!

Thank-you!

15 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:55am
post #2 of 16

I use Earlene's to calculate the price, but if you leave the cake with the caterer to cut, they're probably going to cut it with the Wilton sizing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:31am
post #3 of 16

Ruth's answer is exactly why, in my ever so never so humble opinion, icon_rolleyes.gif you should use the wilton wedding chart. That's how the cake is going to be cut by most facilities and catering staffs. So if you figure servings (pricing) on earline's chart, and they're cutting it by wilton's chart, you're just giving away free cake.

I price by wilton's chart .... I cut by wilton's chart. If the client plans on cutting bigger pieces, they need to order more cake.

Insert my KFC analogy here.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:40am
post #4 of 16

Debi, it's been so long since i've heard the KFC analogy. I was laughing so hard when I read it ages ago!
I go by earlene's just because I have it bookmarked and i'm too lazy to find wilton's chart. I'm not in business though so I'm not too concerned about giving away cake.

dabear Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 16

I appreciate you all taking the time reply! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 16

If the cake is 4" tall definitely use the Wilton wedding chart.
If the cake is 2" tall use the Wilton party serving chart.

Actually I have made my own chart on the most common sizes I used.....but the are so close to the Wilton chart as to be almost one & the same.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 16

If the cake is 4" tall definitely use the Wilton wedding chart.
If the cake is 2" tall use the Wilton party serving chart.

Actually I have made my own chart on the most common sizes I used.....but the are so close to the Wilton chart as to be almost one & the same.

dabear Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 16

Any body else interested in participating?

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 16

I use Earlenes Chart basically for 2 reasons. First being my family is big on cake and I think I have it born in me or something that they'll never be enough dessert! Secondly, here in Amish Country PA people can seriously put down cake (and any other sweet for that matter!), and most would gawk at what a "wilton" serving size is. I do however let customers know when they order that the serving size I base my numbers on is on the generous side!
I think it matters where you are for what a cake serving looks like!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpbrighteyes

.....and most would gawk at what a "wilton" serving size is. I do however let customers know when they order that the serving size I base my numbers on is on the generous side!
I think it matters where you are for what a cake serving looks like!

I thought that Wilton's would be teeny little pieces too. However, after talking to the planner that served a cake I did last weekend, I am satisfied that the Wilton sizes are just right, perfect in her words. So, I don't plan on using Earlene's and end up giving away cake.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 16

mbpbrighteyes -- My mom grew up in lancaster, just outside Strasburg! We used to spend summers there with my grandparents. I love Amish Country, especially the railroad and then going to get ice cream at this old fashioned ice cream parlor nearby, they would mix in anything to your ice cream, of course I always picked gumballs. Between that on one side of family and italian on the other side, I usually have to make double the amount of cake necessary to satisfy everyone !!! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:10am
post #12 of 16

I use a modified Wilton chart. Some layers just seem to me like they need to be a bit more generous, so I just adjusted those.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #13 of 16

JenniferMI -- would you be willing to share your modified Wilton chart or explain in more detail how you cut the cake?

Thanks!!

dabear Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:02am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

JenniferMI -- would you be willing to share your modified Wilton chart or explain in more detail how you cut the cake?

Thanks!!

I second that! Would you be willing to share? I understand if not!

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:49am
post #15 of 16

I use 2 different charts depending on what type of cake:

for wedding cakes, I use wilton.

for birthday, celebration, party cakes, I use earlene's (which by the way is the same for all of those who use cakeboss).

I do this because, if you look at wilton's way of cutting a party cake, most of the time people don't cut in wedges or if it's bigger, don't cut like a wedding cake. Earlene's chart is more generous and she shows how to cut her cake also which is a good way to cut party cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #16 of 16

do you charge more for party cakes since they are getting more cake per serving? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%