Icing Question With Bc

Decorating By Chippi Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 4:52am by sugarshack

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 23

Ok I seem to always have what looks like.....a hoola-hoop ring come out between my 2 layers of cake with filling between them. Sometimes not quite as noticeable but I see it. Am I pressing down to hard on the cake when I am smoothing it? I cut the bottom layer circle out and fill it with the filling up to the edge then I always put a dam of buttercream around it before adding the top layer. Maybe my dam is too high causing trapped air above the filling? Anyone else have this problem? icon_cool.gif

Chippi

22 replies
sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 23

Sugarshack's DVD's will help you solve that little bulge problem, especially the one called "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream"

She is SO SO very knowledgeable and gives many tips and tricks on how to prevent the bulge from happening.

You can get the buttercream DVD here: http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html

All of her other DVD's are extremely helpful as well!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 23

I will have to save up for it.

Thanks for your help.

Chippi

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 23

Are you letting the cake settle a few hours after you fill and dam it before you ice it? Is your dam made with very thick BC? Those could be couple of ways to prevent the problem. Also don't put your filling all way out to the edge of the cake. Put the dam on first then fill to the dam. HTH

Chippi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 23

no not really letting it settle I just usually cut out bottom layer fill and dam...i'm thinking that I don't need to cut out because I'm causing an air space between the two cakes between the dam of bc. I use the same icing i ice my cakes with as far as thickness goes. Next one I'm going to just dam and fill and leave out the cutting circle out of bottom layer. Thank you so much for your input it helped alot.

Chippi icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 23

no not really letting it settle I just usually cut out bottom layer fill and dam...i'm thinking that I don't need to cut out because I'm causing an air space between the two cakes between the dam of bc. I use the same icing i ice my cakes with as far as thickness goes. Next one I'm going to just dam and fill and leave out the cutting circle out of bottom layer. Thank you so much for your input it helped alot.

Chippi icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 23

Chippi icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 23

no need to cut out a circle.

use VERY VERY stiff BC for your dam, fill up to the top of the dam, let them settle and then ice.

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 23

Don't try to put too much filling in. Make your dam w/tip 12 (Not an open coupler w/o a tip) then fill only to the top level of the dam. If more filling is wanted, then you need to cut the cake into more layers and use even less filling per layer.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 23

I always use an open coupler without a tip and have never had a problem however, I use a very stiff bc as sugarshack suggested.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 23

Yup... not sure why you'd cut a circle out of your bottom layer... just level it. Then take a little buttercream and add powdered sugar until it's nice a stiff... almost can roll it by hand. Put in a bag with just a coupler. Run a line of buttercream around the outer edge, just a bit in from the edge, like 1/4". Put in your filling and add the second layer.

Generally I'll crumb coat at that point, then cover, set in the fridge for a while to settle, at least a couple hours if not longer.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 23

I do not cut a circle out, but dam first and then fill. that should solve your problem. thumbs_up.gif

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 23

sugarshack and tiggy, you both mentioned using very stiff buttercream for the dam. Do you use the same consistency for the rest of the filling as well (assuming you're doing buttercream filling)?

sugarshack Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #14 of 23

Nope.

that would be some hard a$$ filling! LOL
The dam is very stiff ( you can roll a ball in your hand with it) but the filling part is the normal BC

HTH

dmich Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 23

LOL, sugarshack. Yeah, I guess that wouldn't be too tasty, would it? Thanks for your advice.

sugarshack Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:56pm
post #16 of 23

give it a try!

dmich Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:09am
post #17 of 23

I will definitely try this for my next cake.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Nope.

that would be some hard a$$ filling! LOL
The dam is very stiff ( you can roll a ball in your hand with it) but the filling part is the normal BC

HTH

icon_lol.gif I found out how hard that dam was today! First cake I'd tried it with. It was almost crunchy! icon_surprised.gif

Chippi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:26am
post #19 of 23

Thanks everyone for your input. Stronger dam's and no cutouts, crumb coat and let sit in fridge! Oh and definitely don't use your Dam Icing for the filling! lol

You guys are great!
Chippi!

sugarshack Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:02am
post #20 of 23

Ps. I do not fridge my cakes at any stage. I do not find it necessary unless you have a perishabe filling or icing. In fact, it causes more trouble, IMHO. ( condensation and blow outs)

Chippi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #21 of 23

not even after crumb coating?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:40am
post #22 of 23

Yes, that's right........do not frig your cakes.....even after completing them. It dries them out faster. Let them sit at room temp.

sugarshack Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

not even after crumb coating?

i dont crumbcaot, but i dont fridge my cakes at any point. ( nothing perishable)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%